All stories have to start somewhere

Have a neat story while driving your LJ. Tell us!

Moderator: stevec

ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

All stories have to start somewhere

Post by ASI H8 »

A touch about me. I'm Rob. Married with two rug rats. I live about 40 miles east of KC. I started wheeling in Samurais. Enough about me.

On 19 DEC 2011 I purchased three Suzuki Vehicles. One was a 1982 LJ 80V. Temp name for the rig is Calico – Color is a calico mesh between light yellow, putty grey and gloss forest green. It appears to be about 80-95% original. I don’t know that much about LJs, this is my first. That is why I’m going with a 15% spread. I’m in the process of consolidating factory tags in order to see how “original” it is. Chrome wheels, 15x7 or 8 with Bridgestone ATs. I don’t recall tire size off hand. Original interior is gone for the most part. The head liner is still there. There are seats and seat belts (haven’t checked for function). I can tell the instrument cluster has been messed with. Dont know if the gauges are original. Has a set of aftermarket gauges left of sterring wheel. The carb looks questionable as original. There is a hole in the hood right above the carb. There is damage DVR Fr quarter around the marker/turn light. It does have rust, mainly forward on the front wheel wells. A hole has been cut in the dash for God knows why. The bumpers are not original. I haven’t been able to turn the motor because I need a clutch cable and battery. Well I could swap a battery in order to see how much more work it will take to get it running. Again I don’t know much about LJs so my assessment is probably way off.

Anyways, I'm sure to asking a ton of questions. I did walk around taking pictures of Calico. I'll get them posted or provide a link to them when I can. Please bear with me as time is my biggest constraint.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Re: All stories have to start somewhere

Post by Frankenstein »

First of al, welcome to the wonderfull world of lj's! Get some pics online and we'll see what's what!
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Glad you could make it over here, bud.
Any question you have on your LJ we can answer. If we don't know the right answer, we'll make up sumpin. :twisted:
I got lotsa parts.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Welcome to the forums! I'm intrigued - can't wait to see the pictures!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

Putt'n a fuel pump in my 02 Chevy right now. When I get back to the house I'll get what I got posted.

Smuz,
If ya ain't to busy, your more than welcome to stop by, if your passing through.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

ASI H8 wrote:Smuz,
If ya ain't to busy, your more than welcome to stop by, if your passing through.
I'll do that, but it'll be spring before I get a chance.
You got an invite to my place, too.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

Smuz wrote:
ASI H8 wrote:Smuz,
I'll do that, but it'll be spring before I get a chance.
You got an invite to my place, too.
Thanks Smuz.

Here is a link to the picts so far. I'll get some of the bottom side when I get my floor jack back from dad

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g40 ... 0LJ80%20V/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it doesn't work, let me know. I'm sure ya'll will.
UBZ
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by UBZ »

welcome to the world of LJs, rust , sanding and painting . but so well worth it.

I love the Full tin top vans , we didn't get any over here in NZ

Engine is stock , carb is not . I can't see how the carb is attached to the intake manifold , so I would assume that is a later model manifold and down draft carb off a F10a engine from a SJ410.

I've also never seen a fuel vapor canister In an LJ before.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Carb is a replacement from who knows what, but not sj410. Coolant expantiontank and the heatshield on the exhaustmanifold are missing but the rest looks pretty original!
I hate rust...

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

BTW: here's a link to when we did my boy's LJ80, so you can see that I really do know a bit about them things.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW: does yours run?
ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

Smuz, I'll get to the link in a bit. Still have a house full.
When I bought it (and the two Samurais) I got one battery between them all. Grossly oversized. So a new battery is in store. I would assume the same suggested battery for a Samurai would also work for the LJ80? If so I’ll pull the battery out of my blue Samurai (Chookie) and give it a spin.
BTW. My wife has named it Pee Wee. She has my daughter calling it Pee Wee. Oh well, ya can’t win them all.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

That's a carb off an Brazilian made VW bug. My LJ10/20 (LJ20 engine) had a similar Solex carb on it when I bought it. Almost a bolt on. I swapped it out for an original Hitachi carb.
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

UBZ wrote:I've also never seen a fuel vapor canister In an LJ before.
The emissions sticker is for "U.S. EPA" regulations, that would explain the vapor canister. I didn't know '81 Lj80s were US emissions legal?
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

SuzukiTom wrote:That's a carb off an Brazilian made VW bug. My LJ10/20 (LJ20 engine) had a similar Solex carb on it when I bought it. Almost a bolt on. I swapped it out for an original Hitachi carb.
Pros or cons on ethier??
SuzukiTom wrote:
The emissions sticker is for "U.S. EPA" regulations, that would explain the vapor canister. I didn't know '81 Lj80s were US emissions legal?
I don't know if it is or isn't. I'll have to differ to you all.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

SuzukiTom wrote:
That isn't the first I've seen, but they are rare. I know Suzuki (or some company) sold LJ80's in Hawaii; when I was there in '83 they were everywhere; I think some companies were even offering them as rentals. I've also seen a very nice LJ80 in the SF Bay area with CA plates, so it HAD to be emissions legal!

Come to think of it, I remember Sluggo, or his son, bought an LJ80 from Washington a few years ago. The speedo was in MPH, not Km/h, so it was a US spec model. I would expect it to also have the emissions stuff.
ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

ASI H8 wrote:When I bought it (and the two Samurais) I got one battery between them all. Grossly oversized. So a new battery is in store. I would assume the same suggested battery for a Samurai would also work for the LJ80? If so I’ll pull the battery out of my blue Samurai (Chookie) and give it a spin.
Is this a fair assumption?
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

ASI H8 wrote:
ASI H8 wrote:When I bought it (and the two Samurais) I got one battery between them all. Grossly oversized. So a new battery is in store. I would assume the same suggested battery for a Samurai would also work for the LJ80? If so I’ll pull the battery out of my blue Samurai (Chookie) and give it a spin.
Is this a fair assumption?
LJ80 battery is smaller than the samurai battery, narrower.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

You can get a bigger battery in there but it requires some work. You have to fill out the bottom of the battery tray, make a new strap to hold the battery in place and maybe some new connectors for it. The original lj battery has very tiny terminals, samurai has bigger ones.
I hate rust...

ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

I bet this seem like an ignorant question, primarily because it is. I lack information or knowledge of LJ80s. For the purpose of identifying if my LJ80v, Pee-Wee will run, can I use a Samurai battery?
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

It will run on it, no problem. How much ah is the samurai battery? Lj's have a 35ah battery and a 30ah alternator. Starter will turn harder and it will take longer to load it full capacity but it will work.
I hate rust...

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The short answer is that if you can get it to fit, the battery will work.

I recently replaced the battery in my LJ81. I've had my LJ81 six years, and the battery wasn't new when I bought it. The one I pulled was only rated at around 300 CCA, and tested as "bad", though it would still start just fine. The problems came when leaving the lights on - it only took a minute or two before the LJ needed a jumpstart, or at least a rest with the lights off before trying to start. The new one is the same size, but over 600 CCA - overkill, but it was the only battery they had that would fit. I couldn't find any info on the reserve capacity of the old one, so I don't know how they compare.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:
SuzukiTom wrote:
That isn't the first I've seen, but they are rare. I know Suzuki (or some company) sold LJ80's in Hawaii; when I was there in '83 they were everywhere; I think some companies were even offering them as rentals. I've also seen a very nice LJ80 in the SF Bay area with CA plates, so it HAD to be emissions legal!

Come to think of it, I remember Sluggo, or his son, bought an LJ80 from Washington a few years ago. The speedo was in MPH, not Km/h, so it was a US spec model. I would expect it to also have the emissions stuff.
They also had 'em in Puerto Rico. That's where Sancho came from. His speedo is in mph.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

ASI H8 wrote:I bet this seem like an ignorant question, primarily because it is. I lack information or knowledge of LJ80s. For the purpose of identifying if my LJ80v, Pee-Wee will run, can I use a Samurai battery?
Just be carefull about the clearance between the top bat terminals and the hood. If the + terminal hits when you close the hood, things get exciting quickly.
ASI H8
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ASI H8 »

Smuz wrote:
ASI H8 wrote:I bet this seem like an ignorant question, primarily because it is. I lack information or knowledge of LJ80s. For the purpose of identifying if my LJ80v, Pee-Wee will run, can I use a Samurai battery?
Just be carefull about the clearance between the top bat terminals and the hood. If the + terminal hits when you close the hood, things get exciting quickly.
Ya think?
:))):
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

ASI H8 wrote:Ya think?
:))):
I know it for a fact. I hadda throw away sum underware 'cause of that.