2014 Lj Meet?

July, 2013

Moderator: stevec

SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

2014 Lj Meet?

Post by SuzukiTom »

Any pre-planning going on out there for the 2014 Annual Lj Meet? Never too early to start!

Sorry to put this here, the site won't let me start a topic in the root "LJ Meets" forum.

Tom H.
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: 2014 Lj Meet?

Post by stevec »

Not really doing the "official" LJ meets anymore, since there hasn't been much interest. :-(

I've moved the "Suzuki Meets" topic to the top of this section, so that anyone organizing a meet/trail run can post up there, and it should be easier to find. If anyone wants to plan a meet, you can start a topic in that section.

I'm planning a few shorter (i.e. long weekend) trips with my local club for this summer: We're looking at doing the Whipsaw trail again (see the 2010 run here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), WABDR, Liberty (see 2006 NW meet), and the annual Lake Tucquala and Perseids Meteor Shower trips. If anyone plans to be in the Pacific NW this summer, let me know when and I can get something going while you are here.

We may drag the LJ's out to Yellowstone again this summer (see 2007 meet), though we'll probably camp in the park the whole time, as opposed to Cooke City. I'd still like to head up to Goose Lake, at least for a day!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

I would say let's do moab this year :). The have a car show there in late April ?
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Yellowstone will sure be nice in the summer time. The lake you mentioned, is it on an off road trail?

Other than time with my family I do not think I have ever had more fun than on the LJ meets. On our first (Cooke City, MT), I was actually anticipating to discover a few internet strangers were pulling a trick on me and no one else would be there when we got there.

Have never planned a meet but my guess is doing that would be about as time consuming and thankless as being the mayor of a small town, and that I have done. Heck I do not even want to lead for one day when someone else does the work of planning a meet.
Last edited by Myers on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"LJsRME"
erik the red
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by erik the red »

Myers wrote:Yellowstone will sure be nice in the summer time. The lake you mentioned, is it on an off road trail?
Quite nice. We spent a week in Yellowstone last summer. Didn't do much 4x4 but enjoyed some of the park's best backcountry backpacking. :cool:
What area is Goose Lake in?
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Yellowstone sounds interesting. I've only been there once, and it was just a quick pass through, with a stop to see Old Faithful. Didn't get a chance to do any exploring. It's a national park so I would doubt there is any real 4 wheeling, but I'm sure there's a lot of scenic drives. Anyone want to do the research on that?

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

<sigh...>

I suppose we could. Been a pretty dismal turn out for the last few.

If I get 3 or more requests after this post, then I will put up a new thread for a 2014 "official" meet. Sorta "official". As long as Steve agrees.

I ain't running the sunamabitch, tho (after last year). You deadbeats gonna hafta do somma the freaking work. Let's see how YOU like the headaches... :evil:

If ya want one, post up. I ain't kidding about ignoring this whole thing unless 3 or more request it. :Rude:
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

lj20Colorado wrote:I would say let's do moab this year :). The have a car show there in late April ?
Hell, we had one at Moab last year and you didn't make it. Ain't gonna happen 2 years in a row.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

SuzukiTom wrote:the site won't let me start a topic in the root "LJ Meets" forum.
Really?
Lemme look at that...

Edit: Ah, yes, new subcatagories to the root "LJ Meets" root forum are Admin only.
Keeps it a little cleaner.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Myers wrote:...On our first (Cooke City, MT), I was actually anticipating to discover a few internet strangers were pulling a trick on me and no one else would be there when we got ther.
Since we only had 4 LJ's there, and two were mine, it kinda felt that way to me, although that was the year a LOT of people had last minute issues (i.e. the Canadian contingent) or issues enroute (I remember Tweeder calling me while I was driving there, saying Edie was not feeling well and they had to leave.)
Myers wrote:Yellowstone will sure be nice in the summer time. The lake you mentioned, is it on an off road trail?
If you are referring to Goose Lake, it is one of those trails just outside Cooke City. The "afternoon run" we did, up Lulu Pass, there was a side road that went off to the right. That is the road to Goose Lake. It is a 4WD road, but nothing the LJ's couldn't handle. I can't remember if there was a sign or not, but there were some people camped at that intersection.

In Yellowstone itself, there are a few dirt roads, but nothing that requires 4WD. There are a couple of scenic loops in the park, an alternate route out the north entrance (all of these are one-way), and a road between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons that would make a great day trip in an LJ. You can't drive over 45mph on any of the roads in Yellowstone, so it is a good place to set up camp and then tool around in an LJ if you want. It can also snow there any time of year (I remember getting 3" on July 1st one year we were there!) which would be fun in the LJ's - more so in an LJ20 since LJ10's don't have heaters.

I'd rather not call it an "official" meet, since that implies that it is somehow sponsored by the website. Since the website is in my name, that kinda makes me liable if anything bad happens. (Ok, maybe not really, but try telling that to a personal injury attorney!) That's what the "Suzuki Meets" section is for.

I think that planning a trip is as much fun as the trip itself, which is why I enjoyed planning the LJ meets. The downside is while at the meet itself, as I was always much more busy and stressed, instead of just relaxing. I really enjoyed chatting with everyone, but felt like I was ignoring certain people while talking to others, and I didn't spend as much time with my own family as I sometimes should have. Also, whenever disagreements/issues come up, I'm always caught in the middle (thankfully there were very few of those!) I do go back and look at the old "meets" forums far more than any other, those are some of my favorite vacations.

We are still firming up our vacation plans for this year, but we are planning to be in Yellowstone for a week or so in early July. At this time we are not planning to bring the LJ's, but rather will tow a small tent trailer behind the truck/camper so the girls can sleep out there, instead of the four of us crowding in our little camper. We're planning to take the camper off while in camp, so we can drive the truck around easier on the dirt roads. If a bunch of other people want to show up with LJ's, I can probably throw an LJ on the trailer and sneak off for a day or so, or we can just follow along in the truck. If people want to go, but will be there when I am not, let me know - I can give you enough ideas to last for weeks. We've been going there since I was a kid, so I know the area pretty well.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, folks, there's your definitive answer on an official LJ10.com meet. That's why I deferred to Steve in my post.

SuzukiTom and I are tentatively discussing a local get together in the Texas, Ks, Ok, Qrk. area. If anything comes of it, we'll post up in the afore mentioned "LJ Meets" category.SuzukiTom, myself, Meyers, and Tweedy Bird are all in that area.

Zuks of KC is planning a few meets this year: Manhattan, Ks. over Memorial Day and Disney, Ok. over Labor Day to name two. I'll post in the local meets thread when they are finalized. LJ's are always welcome to come hang out/wheel with us.

Anybody that wants to try to have an unofficial meet at Yellowstone feel free to organize it. With health and mechanical issues I've had/have, I dunno if I could make it, but I'd try.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Smuz wrote:<sigh...>

I suppose we could. Been a pretty dismal turn out for the last few.

If I get 3 or more requests after this post, then I will put up a new thread for a 2014 "official" meet. Sorta "official". As long as Steve agrees
Judging from the overwhelming responses to this post, I guess there really isn't any interest in a 2014 LJ Meet. It's too bad that our unofficial "membership" is too fractured and geographically scattered to support an annual Meet. I'd host one, but unfortunately, the only areas that I have any intimate knowlege of are outside of the Tucson, Arizona. And that is well outside of the range of just about anybody on this board. That's too bad, since there are quite a few trails near there that would be both fun and challenging for a stock Lj.

Hey Smuz, does the Zuks of KC have any planned weekend runs coming up that Nancy and I could join up with?
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Smuz wrote:Zuks of KC is planning a few meets this year: Manhattan, Ks. over Memorial Day and Disney, Ok. over Labor Day to name two. I'll post in the local meets thread when they are finalized. LJ's are always welcome to come hang out/wheel with us.
Anything with that Manhattan, Ks meet? I've got Memorial Day weekend off.

Is that the Tuttle Creek ORV area? That's all that came up on the google search.
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Yeah. I'm headed out there Fri afternoon and will be there thru Mon.

It's the Tuttle Creek ORV area in Randolph, Ks. about 20 miles north of Manhattan.
Closest motels are in Manhattan.