Reports, pictures from the meet!

The 5th Annual LJ Meet will be Sept. 1-3, 2009, in MOAB!!!

Moderator: stevec

Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Reports, pictures from the meet!

Post by Myers »

More pics from Seven Mile Rim
Attachments
P7080353.JPG
P7080350.JPG
P7080345.JPG
P7080342.JPG
P7080332.JPG
P7080331.JPG
P7080327.JPG
"LJsRME"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

More pics from Moab - Fins and Things
Attachments
P7070237.JPG
P7070244.JPG
P7070249.JPG
P7070251.JPG
P7070254.JPG
P7070256.JPG
P7070260.JPG
P7070265.JPG
P7070267.JPG
P7070271.JPG
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ruby wrote:Anybody take any video?
Linda may have a couple of short videos on her camera; I'll check with her this weekend.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

stevec wrote:For the record, we had ten LJ's (five LJ10's and five LJ20's) and one Samurai at the meet this year:

Myself, the wife, and kids with two LJ10's
Mom and Stephen with their LJ20
Smuz and Alice, with Wasp and Michelle, and two LJ10's
Myers and Winnie with their LJ20
Tweedy Bird and Edie with their LJ20
SuzukiTom and Nancy with their LJ20
lj20colorado and his dad Phil with two LJ20's
And Phoenix and his wife with his son's Samurai
I guess my LJ is kinda hard to count on this list, since it is a LJ10 with a LJ20 engine and transmission. So should it count as an 10 or a 20? It's outward appearance is that of 10, if you're looking at the obvious clues such as the grille, cowl vent and side panel stampings. Pop the hood, and it's not so easy to tell, unless you look at the VIN plate, or notice that it has two sets of motor mounts (the original LJ10 frame mounts are still there).

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

It is Friday night and the kids are going to bed. I'm sitting in the driver's seat of the LJ, and thinkingt I'm way to big of a guy to be driving this thing (6'2" approx 230). Then, I think of these pics and almost everyone that was at the meet is at least as big as me, if I'm judging it right.

I think it is hilarious that many of the people on this site are large people, owning a small vehicle. Why is that?

I must make one of these meets. They loook like a blast.

Troy
1972 LJ20 - under construction (33" BFG MTs, Samurai axles, t-case, and transmission, 1.6 VW diesel)
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well I am 6', 225lbs, Myers is bigger and taller than me, Smuz may be a bit shorter, but almost as big, and my stepdad is 6' 4". We all drove our LJ's, and enjoyed every minute of it!
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

SuzukiTom wrote: I guess my LJ is kinda hard to count on this list, since it is a LJ10 with a LJ20 engine and transmission. So should it count as an 10 or a 20?
I think you just invented the lj15!
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

troy wrote:It is Friday night and the kids are going to bed. I'm sitting in the driver's seat of the LJ, and thinkingt I'm way to big of a guy to be driving this thing (6'2" approx 230). Then, I think of these pics and almost everyone that was at the meet is at least as big as me, if I'm judging it right.

I think it is hilarious that many of the people on this site are large people, owning a small vehicle. Why is that?

Troy
First, in defense of Smuz, I am considerably larger.... As to why many LJs are driven by large folks I can only answer for myself. "It is easy to adapt to what you love". I have a friend even larger than I that rides with me pretty often and we both wear bib overalls. If we catch someone giving us the stare as we get into one of my tin tops, I let him shut his door first, then I slam mine shut as he opens his then he slams his shut as I open mine, repeat, repeat, repeat. Works best if the engine is already started and in gear so we can pull away with the doors alternately flapping open and close. A nice cloud of smoke from the two stroke adds to the effect.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

stevec wrote:Okay, here ya go. These are unedited, so I'll add labels and clean them up when I get home...

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... LJ%20Meet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.
More pictures have been added, but not LJ pictures; just pictures of our days in Arches and Canyonlands.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Myers wrote:I have a friend even larger than I that rides with me pretty often and we both wear bib overalls. If we catch someone giving us the stare as we get into one of my tin tops, I let him shut his door first, then I slam mine shut as he opens his then he slams his shut as I open mine, repeat, repeat, repeat. Works best if the engine is already started and in gear so we can pull away with the doors alternately flapping open and close. A nice cloud of smoke from the two stroke adds to the effect.
:))):
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Myers wrote:
troy wrote:It is Friday night and the kids are going to bed. I'm sitting in the driver's seat of the LJ, and thinkingt I'm way to big of a guy to be driving this thing (6'2" approx 230). Then, I think of these pics and almost everyone that was at the meet is at least as big as me, if I'm judging it right.

Troy
First, in defense of Smuz, I am considerably larger.... As to why many LJs are driven by large folks I can only answer for myself. "It is easy to adapt to what you love". I have a friend even larger than I that rides with me pretty often and we both wear bib overalls. If we catch someone giving us the stare as we get into one of my tin tops, I let him shut his door first, then I slam mine shut as he opens his then he slams his shut as I open mine, repeat, repeat, repeat. Works best if the engine is already started and in gear so we can pull away with the doors alternately flapping open and close. A nice cloud of smoke from the two stroke adds to the effect.
funny...whenever i drove Dad's tintop, i HAD to pop the door and stick my knee out to get my toes up over the clutch pedal. every shift went "pop, shift, SLAM" :))):

FTR: 6'-2", 300#, size 14 waterskis
Last edited by tweeder on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A legend in my own mind.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Troy, do try to make one of the meets. You will fit in.
"LJsRME"
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Larry, do you have high-res versions of the pix you posted?
A legend in my own mind.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Yep, I most always take pics in the highest resolution my camera will do. Sacrifice card space just in case an enlargement is wanted. If you want one or specific ones identify them and I will send them to you. Probably three or less per trip.
"LJsRME"
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

We didn't take many photos, but here are a couple of them. Too bad someone placed all those ugly old LJs in them :))):
7milerim_small.jpg
fandt1_small.jpg
chickencorner1_small.jpg
hurrahpass1_small.jpg
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

:cool: This looks like an awsome place to go.
I wish we could've made it.
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

There's always next year!
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

OK, it is now next year so lets see pictures of the real fun had at MOAB in the fall of 2009.
Attachments
Gone.jpg
Last edited by Myers on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

:shock: I really didn't need to see that...
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

OK – I knew that with the nature of this beast I could not wait until April 1 to fess up.

Confession 1 – To make room for more pictures while at Moab, I had my camera card downloaded to a photo disk at the City Market. However, before I picked up the disk I located / purchased another card at the Pharmacy. When paying for the card and disk was surprised when they said it required two disks for the download.
Having the new card I did not delete the first and did not look at the two disks until yesterday after finding them in a stack of CDs. It was then I discovered the pictures on one of the disks were taken by someone else. After a few of their pictures gave Winnie and me a good laugh I put captions to some and posted them.

Confession 2 - I did dress up like a woman once several years ago. It was for a community fundraising play named “The Womanless Wedding”. The entire cast consisted of men with us bigger guys playing the lady parts. I asked for the part of the jilted overweight, pregnant girl. Those who have met me know why I got that part. And believe me, as a group we were much prettier than the guys I posted.

PS – One of the pictures contained a vehicle with a Main license tag. Today I sent a letter to Main’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles asking that they forward it to the owner of the vehicle with the tag. In the letter I partially described the pictures posted and then asked the owner to complete the description of what the people in the pictures were wearing. Told them if they provide the correct descriptions, I will send the disk…. postage paid for the laughs they provided.
Myers
"LJsRME"