Who is up for a beach run?

Who's up for a beach run, LJ style?

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Who is up for a beach run?

Post by stevec »

I've mentioned this to a couple of people, and thought I'd post up, to gauge interest. I'm thinking about doing a beach run this summer, at either Long Beach or Ocean Shores, Washington. These are about the only beaches in Washington were you can still (legally) drive on the beach. There is a kite festival in Long Beach in August; we can plan it for that weekend if people want to, or Operation Shore Patrol at Ocean Shores in September, or another weekend. If you're interested in going, post up here, including your preferred weekend, or any weekends you are not available.

This would be very informal, no organized "runs", just a bunch of us camping, playing on the beach, maybe enjoying a little fresh crab...

Whaddayall think?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
leafsprung
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by leafsprung »

florence OR has some killer places to ride sand. Some places you can camp too. . .
I am what I am - Popeye
Fordzuki
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Fordzuki »

I would love to take the LJ down there. Longbeach is one of my favorite vacation spots, with all the history, the beach, and the town itself. The only problem I can see with my LJ on the beach run is having to do some things to make it a little more street legal. Turnsignals, brakelights, that sort of thing, and probably some flares to cover the 3/4s of the tire sticking out past the body. If I could get these sorted out, and put a little quieter muffler on it, I'm sure I could keep the tickets to a minimum....
Fordzuki: '72 LJ20 body and frame, sj413 axles and t-case 6.5:1 gears, ranger 2.3 & tk4, Datsun leafs front, 4 link & 1/4 lip rear, toy ifs steering, 34x10.50 LTBs on 15x8 w/2.5 BS, rear discs, xrc8 winch, crazy driver
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

leafsprung wrote:florence OR has some killer places to ride sand. Some places you can camp too. . .
My first choice was actually Pismo, I loved going down there for spring break in college, playing in the dunes, and actually camping on the beach, but it's just too far away. I thought about Sand Lake also, but some of the people could be coming down from Canada, so Ocean Shores and Long Beach are pretty central (i.e. within a day's travel for most people in BC, WA, OR, and Northern CA. These two places don't have any dunes to play on, but a lot of our LJ's have the stock NDT's, which aren't much good in the sand anyway. I envisioned this as just a weekend to get together, hang out, and play on the beach; we could plan something in the dunes if people would rather do that...

Long beach has about 16 miles of beach that is open to driving year round, and more areas that are open after Labor Day, or during Razor Clam seasons.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Doubt I can make it BUT I would love to try!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Don't count me out... but don't count me in...yet
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We looked at property in Ocean Shores a couple of years ago, and found it very reasonable. We might look at Long beach too while we are down there this summer (whether at this meet or another weekend). A lot of people buy property near or on the beach, and use it as recreation property, as opposed to building a second home. I'd like to buy a piece of property, put a small garage and firepit in, and store an LJ down there. Then, if I felt like heading down for a weekend of clamming, crabbing, fishing, whale watching, or just relaxing, I wouldn't have to haul a rig down.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

Some of us get crabbing at home! What do we need a beach for? :))): :))): :))): :))): :))):

I need an excuse to come to the West Coast. Anybody wanna look for an L40 parts van?
This is retirement?
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Russ if you go I will meet you somewhere and follow you there. I will follow this time so you won't pop a tire. (pssst...bring a spare :wink: )
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

oh man, this sounds like a whole lot of fun. Rick and I have talked many times about hitting the dunes or the beach. With him getting married and me having a kid I don't know what we would be able to do but my guess is the later in the year the better.
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Jimny wrote:Russ if you go I will meet you somewhere and follow you there. I will follow this time so you won't pop a tire. (pssst...bring a spare :wink: )
This, from the guy who blew two tires at once at the midwest meet in Disney. :roll:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Glen Friesen wrote:oh man, this sounds like a whole lot of fun. Rick and I have talked many times about hitting the dunes or the beach. With him getting married and me having a kid I don't know what we would be able to do but my guess is the later in the year the better.
You're gonna be a dad? Well, congratulations!!!!! :cool:

Rick, congrats on your upcoming nuptuals as well!!!!!
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

Dad says maybe :shock: its so close we'll HAVE to go :wink: if not with the lj than we'll take the sami. Sounds like fun. Im sure we probably could make it though...my fingers are crossed and I'll keep makin' dad come out to the garage with me.
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
zukster
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re:

Post by zukster »

leafsprung wrote:florence OR has some killer places to ride sand. Some places you can camp too. . .
I've been going to the Florence / Siuslaw National Forest Dunes every
summer for about the last 15 years.

From Canada, BC, Vancouver, You can make it in about 8 hours
if there is no traffic. Maybe that was in my Mustang though...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recreat ... ndex.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, for beachs, big dunes, and camping, there is no better. There
are UFS sites 10 minutes down from Florence. They're the best for
camping. A group of us are heading down for the 1st week in August.
I'll prob take my Sami. Maybe the LJ80 if its ready.

Oh yeh - tons of places to go crabbing too. We got 6 last year.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: Who is up for a beach run?

Post by stevec »

That's not bad at all... It's also within a day's drive for a lot of people in California...
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

I vote Operation Shore Patrol, Ocean Shores. We may not have the LJ running (either one...) but could always head over with the Samurai.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I am leaning towards that as well. My summer is booked up, so it will be nice to have a weekend off in August, and also nice to have a camping trip in Sept. I will need to check on the girls' soccer games that Saturday; we may head over after the games.