Where do you want to go next?

The 3rd Annual LJ Meet, in MT/WY, just East of Yellowstone Nat'l Park!

Moderator: stevec

Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

If you want to go anywhere close to Banff/Jasper then your best bet would be an area called Waiparous. It is an OHV area just west of Calgary. I have not been there myself but have seen lots of pictures (and magazine articles) about it. I have wanted to go for a number of years now and this might finally get me there. I hear they closed off a lot of the harder trails but for what we want to do it would still be fine I'm sure.
BTW this is Glen not Rick, I'm just using his computer and too lazy to sign him out and me in.

stevec- I think beach would be a great idea!!
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
thesarg
The Procrastinator
The Procrastinator

Post by thesarg »

Well if u have it north of the border i WILL be there, n ill even supply the first round of brown pop :D
If you cant afford it, fab it!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

thesarg wrote:Well if u have it north of the border i WILL be there, n ill even supply the first round of brown pop :D
:beer:

If it isn't in Canada, it will be closer to you than the Midwest meet or last year's meet! We had a few Canadians come down for the NW Meet, but they started out farther west. Montana is just below Calgary & Banff, so it wouldn't be much further for you!

One more thought: if it is in Canada, I hope I don't have trouble smuggling homebrew across the border! :ohno:
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Oregon ?

John
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Rick Friesen wrote:If you want to go anywhere close to Banff/Jasper then your best bet would be an area called Waiparous. It is an OHV area just west of Calgary. I have not been there myself but have seen lots of pictures (and magazine articles) about it. I have wanted to go for a number of years now and this might finally get me there. I hear they closed off a lot of the harder trails but for what we want to do it would still be fine I'm sure.
BTW this is Glen not Rick, I'm just using his computer and too lazy to sign him out and me in.

stevec- I think beach would be a great idea!!
I copied this off NissanOffroad.net; they do a jamboree there...

Approximate driving times (real world people who've made the trip, not mapquest's idea of time):

Seattle, WA - 12 hours
St. Louis, MO - 20 hours
Los Angeles, CA - 19 hours
Las Vegas, NV - 18 hours
Winnepeg, MB - 14 hours
Toronto, ON - 24 hours

Not real close to anybody, but within a day and a half for most. This could work. Anybody ever been here before? I see there's an "import 4x4 jamboree" there in August, anyone planning to go? I'll see what else I can find out about it too, but I'd like some first hand experience from someone!
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Well I think it is a great place as I can get there in a few hours. My buddy Colin and I might go check it out sometime this summer/fall. Maybe in September as I seem to be booked til then.
Steve I think your 81 would be very comfortable back home in Canada.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

Toronto, ON - 24 hours
I beg to differ, but my version of mapquest tells me 35 1/2 hrs to Calgary, and 32 hours for me.
No way I could get out there without major change. (no job, no wife, hit the lottery)

Russ

P.S.
Only 7 hours farther than Colorado was.....
Last edited by russmehl on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is retirement?
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote: St. Louis, MO - 20 hours
HOLY CRAP!!! i'm still 7 hours south of there!
A legend in my own mind.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

HOLY CRAP!!! i'm still 7 hours south of there!
Quit whining! :wink: Just kidding!!!!

We will have to Convoy up there Tweeder! And along the way pick up Smuz to join in on the convoy and then maybe Russ somewhere along the way.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

i got a buddy thats finding out some info on wheeling in ND/SD area (back where he's from)

that's at least a couple hours closer. :cool:
A legend in my own mind.
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

tweeder wrote:i got a buddy thats finding out some info on wheeling in ND/SD area (back where he's from)

that's at least a couple hours closer. :cool:
That's beginning to sound a little more central :D
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I'm gonna have limited vacation time next year, and I'd really like to spend a couple of weeks up in the Canadian Rockies, so maybe we can plan the 2008 meet up there, and do next year's meet in ND/SD or Montana.
Dion
Ubercameraman
Ubercameraman

It'll never happen but........

Post by Dion »

I nominate Silver City Idaho. It's only a few hours from my home, LOL

http://www.idahosummits.com/owyhee/owyhee.htm
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/id/silvercity.html

Dion
I may not have gone where I intended to go. But I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Hee Haw! I felt like getting up and dancing. :wink:

Looks good. If only it was more central.

I would like a place like that and where you have a long easy semi steep trail going up a mountain. :cool:
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

Yikes! 2000 miles for me!
Guess I'm just gonna have my own little meet in the sandbox. :wink:

Russ
This is retirement?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: It'll never happen but........

Post by stevec »

Dion wrote:I nominate Silver City Idaho.
That looks cool; I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. Wouldn't be too far for me; about the same as Montana, but I think Montana might be closer for most. Still, I just may have to plan a trip down there. Are there a lot of trails?
Dion
Ubercameraman
Ubercameraman

Trails

Post by Dion »

I believe there are several ways to the peak. The area is filled with old roads to mines and such.
I may not have gone where I intended to go. But I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
kodiak1232003
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by kodiak1232003 »

just a thought, there's a trail near missoula(where im at) called the lolo trail, i think. could also be called the lewis & clark trail.

it was the trail that they used to go west so many years ago. some parts of it are challenging for a stock rig, most are simply scenic backcountry tracks.

missoula is a very affordable place to stay, and the hotels are used to having trailers/RV's park in their parking lots, due to the high tourist content of the population.

i love it here, so def. consider this area...

regards
brian
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

kodiak1232003 wrote:just a thought, there's a trail near missoula(where im at) called the lolo trail, i think. could also be called the lewis & clark trail.

it was the trail that they used to go west so many years ago. some parts of it are challenging for a stock rig, most are simply scenic backcountry tracks.

missoula is a very affordable place to stay, and the hotels are used to having trailers/RV's park in their parking lots, due to the high tourist content of the population.

i love it here, so def. consider this area...
If you love it so much, why does your profile say San Diego??? :wink:

j/k Brian, welcome to the forums! Do you have any links to pics/info of the area? I was hoping to find something around there, and had emailed Figmo at Roadless Gear, as I believe he's in Missoula, but hadn't heard anything back from him. I like the fact that Missoula is right on I-90, which makes it easy for most folks to find, not to mention the fact that it's an easy day's drive for me! I also have a friend who grew up in Missoula, and used to have an LJ10 about 20 years ago! I'll do a little digging and see what else I can find; we need to get this nailed down pretty soon!
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

everyone hit the newsstand for the October issue of 4-Wheel & Off-Road mag (even if you get it in the mail). they got a mini-booklet that's 365 trails or some such. lists places to wheel in ALL of the lower 48. the Black Hills of SD looks promising...
A legend in my own mind.
kodiak1232003
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by kodiak1232003 »

stevec wrote:
If you love it so much, why does your profile say San Diego??? :wink:

j/k Brian, welcome to the forums! Do you have any links to pics/info of the area? I was hoping to find something around there, and had emailed Figmo at Roadless Gear, as I believe he's in Missoula, but hadn't heard anything back from him. I like the fact that Missoula is right on I-90, which makes it easy for most folks to find, not to mention the fact that it's an easy day's drive for me! I also have a friend who grew up in Missoula, and used to have an LJ10 about 20 years ago! I'll do a little digging and see what else I can find; we need to get this nailed down pretty soon!

har har...lol. no, its a good question. i'm only up in montana for the summer for work, i live full time in san diego. I'm an architect, so if a firm offers me a job up here permanently, guess where im moving :D :D ..lol

i'll check on some pics, and try to post em up if i can..or mebbe i'll send em to you.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I figured it was something like that, or you were a student at SD State or something. Pics would be great!
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Hey some of the most fun I have had with Suzy is in the snow. Does anyone know a good area for snow wheeling (Ruby, Friesen bros) ? Cool meet idea huh (bumper tubing, skiing, camping) ? I mean who wants to get all hot and sweaty anyway ?

John
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Yeah John, we usualy 4x4 in the snow to get to natural hotsprings in the winter. However, the Lj is only insured until early November, so no snow wheeling for me this year.

I'm still trying to plan a trip to the OHV park in Alberta this fall. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and let everyone know what it's like if I do indeed make it there.

Rick
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Jeepster,

I'm not sure the Canadians would consider New Mexico "centrally located", but the Texas guys would! :D

Here's where we're at: For Summer '07, let's go with Montana or Wyoming. I've been doing some checking, and there are a lot of mild trails (i.e. suitable for a stock LJ) in the Cooke City and Red Lodge, MT area, which is just east of Yellowstone NP. This is somewhat centrally located for those who have attended past meets (incl. you Canucks!), and I'm assuming that these are the people most likely to show up next year.

In January, '08, it looks like we have enough interest to do a "snowbird" meet in Arizona or New Mexico. I'll set up a new section for this meet. For Summer '08, I think it's about time for a meet in Canada, probably in AB at the place Rick is checking out shortly.