"Rhino-Lining" your LJ

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

"Rhino-Lining" your LJ

Post by stevec »

I did this to my LJ81 yesterday, since the bed was pretty scratched up, and starting to rust. They didn't have the spray cans, so I bought the roll-on stuff. BIG MISTAKE! That stuff is a royal pain in the a$$ to put on! It starts drying almost immediately, even when it's only about 75*F with average humidity. (It says to apply when the temp is between 68* and 90*F) When I first started, part of the bed was in direct sunlight, and it started drying as soon as it touched the bed, so I stopped and waited until it was in the shade. That did help somewhat, but it still dried so quickly that I could only do a very small area at a time, and I still have some lines/clumps in it where it dried before I could get it properly spread out. Never again!

I'm thinking about pulling the bed, stripping it all off, and redoing it, but I'll probably wait until I'm ready to paint it, which probably won't be for another couple of years.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

Yes, I agree. Don't put rhino lining on your lj. ASPECIALY NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BODY!!!! :pissed: Thats what the stupid P/O did to mine. Now I have to grind it off.
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

deimos_jr wrote:Yes, I agree. Don't put rhino lining on your lj. ASPECIALY NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BODY!!!! :pissed: Thats what the stupid P/O did to mine. Now I have to grind it off.
Our spellchecker just plain sucks! I checked this message, and "no misspellings found". It's "especially", not "aspecialy".

Back on topic, I don't know why anyone would ever do the outside of a vehicle! I just did the bed of the LJ81.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:Back on topic, I don't know why anyone would ever do the outside of a vehicle! I just did the bed of the LJ81.
because it's infinitely tougher than regular paint.

but i'm still gonna use implement enamel (farm equipment paint) on the exterior of mine. probly gonna Line-X or Rhino-Line the entire interior, though.

on dad's LJ, we're gonna use POR-15 to treat the rust and then more implement enamel (Caterpillar yellow) for the actual color.
A legend in my own mind.
schwinger
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by schwinger »

I once saw a jeep wrangler at a car show that they had painted the entire thing in rhino lining. I thought it was a good idea keeps it from rusting, scratching etc.. Although you can find a jeep on every corner. I don't think I would do it on the lj. I don't know what it takes to get that stuff off and I don't want to find out if I decide to paint it someday.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

tweeder wrote:
but i'm still gonna use implement enamel (farm equipment paint) on the exterior of mine. probly gonna Line-X or Rhino-Line the entire interior, though.

on dad's LJ, we're gonna use POR-15 to treat the rust and then more implement enamel (Caterpillar yellow) for the actual color.
That's what I'm going to paint my LJ 81 with, the old caterpillar yellow. It's actually quite close to the oringinal yellow. Are you painting it any time soon? I'd like to see how it turns out.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

Thats what I'm going to do. My dad's friend works on CATs and can get us that color for really cheap.
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

deimos_jr wrote:Thats what I'm going to do. My dad's friend works on CATs and can get us that color for really cheap.
Copy cat :Rude: Just kidding
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Ruby wrote:Are you painting it any time soon? I'd like to see how it turns out.
dunno when we'll be able to get to it. got a metric butt-load of rust and a couple dents to take care of, first.
A legend in my own mind.