Date of meet and place.

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Date of meet and place.

Post by stevec »

The meet is planned for midweek, Tuesday, June 21 through Thursday, June 23. We will be camping at the Eureka townsite, just NE of Silverton, CO. This area is owned by the town of Silverton, and there is no fee for camping. I will try to be there Monday and post some signs so people can find us. I will also check in with the Silverton Chamber of Commerce and the SJMA. We'll run the Alpine Loop on Wednesday, and people can play on side trails or run some of the more difficult trails other days.

Currently we have confirmed 31 people (21 adults and 10 minors) and 13 rigs. About 10 more people and 6 rigs are "possibles".
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Here is the website for the town of Silverton.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yup. And it's a cool little town to walk through if you have a couple of extra days. You can also ride the narrow gauge train from Durango.

As of right now, if all the "maybe's" show up (and a lot are really "probable"), we'll have over 50 people and 25 rigs!!!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

YES!!!! Thats a lot of people and Rigs!
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I talked with the Chamber of Commerce again this morning. The townsite is about 10 acres, but we will not be alone that time of year. I will get there a day or two early, and try to get as much space as possible for us. As said before, this is dry camping - there are no facilities there. There is a porta-potty at one end, where there is a staging area for ATV's, but no garbage cans, so we'll need to pack our own trash out.

To get there, first get to Silverton. From there, you'll take County Road 2 (formerly HWY 110, and this is how it is shown on most maps still) to the townsite. I will check in at the Silverton Chamber of Commerce (visitor's center), as well as the San Juan Mountains Association office in Silverton when I arrive, and I highly recommend that everyone stop at the visitor's center. They know about our group, and can give you maps and info about the area, as well as directions if you need. I'll try and put up a couple of signs as well.

FYI, Silverton has about 5 feet of snow right now, the roads will be clear by June. There is, however, the possibility of snow any time of year (we're camping at 9800' elevation), so please come prepared!!!