Colorado?

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

We had 3 LJ's at a large off road place and we were back in the wooded area and as we were heading back to the camp from playing on the trails the leader of the group (one Jeep and 3 LJ20's) which was a full size Jeep ran over a tan colored tool bag that was right in the middle of a T intersection trail it belonged to a guy that his Jeep broke down trying to climb a rock hill and it was about 60-70 feet away from where he had his bag, and he started screaming at the top of his lungs at them for running over it they didn't even know they did it, I heard him screaming and pointing so I looked and I could see it but it blended in with the ground, it was a cloth bag that laid pretty much flat on the ground so I went around it but the guy behind me which was a way back when this happened came up and was looking at the broken down Jeep and didn't see the bag nether and ran right over it and that guy Came UnGlued he came running down the hill screaming that he ran over it, I got out of my LJ and said Calm Down it was a mistake he said No the first Jeep was a mistake this guy ran over it on purpose, I then replied Oh yeah he hates you and did it on purpose :roll: are you listening to yourself? and he kept into it I told him like 4-6 times to calm down it was a mistake then one of his Pal's come up from behind and got into my face so I Looked the situation over and saw that TR was trapped back behind all of their group which was around 15 or so and we had 5 of us all together even though all the others stayed in their Jeeps I figured because they were embarrassed by this guy but who knows so I didn't say another word because it would have been a brawl and TR might have been jumped by a lot of them so I got back in to my LJ and we all left.

That left such a bad taste in my mouth that it turned me off from 4x4'n and then after that I lost interest in my LJ hobby that is when I started selling all my LJ's, parts etc.

I wanted to beat the living **** out of the second guy but was in control enough not to. The next day I made it up in one try the same hill that he broke down on with Zuk10!!! hehe

I guess I had better mention that was the last straw, there were other stuff I had seen etc. before then that made me think "I'm one of these type of people? No way! Forget this. But it seems like that the LJ owners are completely different.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Man, that sucks! Around here, most wheelers are responsible, but there are a few who try and ruin it for the rest of us. Through my club, we've built up a very good relationship with the FS and DNR, and work with them. If we see people drinking out on the trail, the first thing we do is assess the situation: Is it a situation we can control, or is it something that could get out of hand. If it's a group, we typically assume we can't control it, and call in the law; if it's one or two rigs and we're a group, we'll politely ask them to not drink on the trail, and try to explain our reasoning (dangerous to all of us, helps get our trails shut down, you'll get busted, etc.) Most are very reasonable; if it appears that they are not, we don't push things at all, we just call in the law and let them deal with it.

About 2 years ago, I was leading a club run, and the passenger of a guest had a beer in the vehicle after lunch. I first informed the member who invited him, then asked the passenger to not drink at all on the trail, or he would be asked to leave. He poured it out, they left our group a few minutes later, and I never saw him again. The member who invited him is still a member though!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

:cool: Thats a very good way to take care of something like that.

....I was leading a club run....
We found our leader! :hail:
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

stevec sent me this url for the Alpine Pass

http://www.4x4now.com/a4f98b.htm
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

If you do a search for "Alpine loop Colorado" you'll find a lot more; this was just my favorite.

So we've decided on 4th of July weekend 2005...next question is camping. There's a KOA campground in the area, as well as a lot of FS campgrounds. We should find a place that can accomodate us as a group...the question is what sort of facilities do we want/require? I'll have a self contained truck camper, so I don't need hookups, but they are nice though. What are everyone else's feelings on this :?:
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Campsite Campsight Campside Campslide

Post by russmehl »

I suspect it should be a place we can "reserve". It would be a real bummer to get all together and find ourselves short of space. We will have lots of wheeled vehicles.... and trailers.
Russ
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I usually camp pretty primitive. A 30 foot Hitchhiker 5th wheel trailer pulled by a Dodge V-10 dually.

Tents-R-NOT-us!!!!!!!

The boys may have tents, though, and they're planning on coming.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

From one extreme to the other!
See I told you we needed plenty of room!
Russ
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

See I told you we needed plenty of room!
Lotsa room ................. I got gas.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

Must be those Taco Tuedays.....
Russ
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Must be those Taco Tuedays.....
That, and Barley Pop ...... God bless it.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

ouray

Post by Idahopaul »

Ouray is one town along the alpine loop that has lodging and camp grounds and spectacular views. check out http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Home
be sure to look at the activities and all the camp grounds. also check out the highway to silverton and surrounding areas. the Ouray sight lists lots of jeep trails right out of Ouray. engineer pass is one of them and they list it as being one of the more difficult ones. :cool:
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I think Engineer Pass is part of the Alpine Loop. There's also a trail that goes from Ouray over the mountains the other way to Telluride.

And yes, we do want to reserve a space as soon as we can, especially given the holiday weekend. We should have a rough idea of how many rigs/people are going to be there though.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Thats a good ideal.

I will have two rigs maybe three counting TR's if he goes.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

if I can go, I will have a cabover camper and my lj.
I am still a little concerned of how my kids will handle it. I will find out over the summer.
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

My 3 and 6yo daughters have been asking me "when can we drive the yellow zuki?" (the LJ10) Your kids will love it. Mine have no fear, and laugh at mom when she gets nervous. Plus, this loop looks pretty mellow, so there shouldn't be much of a fear factor.

Get 'em used to it this summer, but my prediction is one trip and they'll be hooked, especially if your rig bounces a lot!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

I too will have a long trailer. I will be bringing possibly 3 LJ's and now looks like I might be bringing one more back with me. So I am going have to figure out how to get 4 home! LOL I guess I will have to bring two trucks. I better get to work on building the two LJ trailer.

With all the long trailers, stevec has a two LJ trailer, smuz with his camper, my 2 LJ trailer plus everyone else's trailers wow we will need lots of room. LOL

stevec is right we had better figure how many is going to be there and get it reserved! I'd say within a month from now.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

If everybody unloads their LJ trailers and parks them... elsewhere, that might ease the immediate crowding. So, for example, does the KOA have a field we could stash the trailers? (Don't worry Smuz, I mean the non camping trailers, we want you right where we can keep an eye on you!)
Russ
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Won't do ya no good ... I'm sneaky, I is.

Right now the tentative plan is 9 people, Me and spooky old Alice, Oldest boy Shane w/ wife and kid, and youngest boy Jay w/ wife and 2 kids.

That means my truck and camper, another truck and trailer w/ 2 - 3 Lj's onit, and another vehicle. Hell, we're a group all by ourselves. I think the boys may be planning on tents.

It'll be later before we finalize.

May need another truck to bring the beer.
jock
Datto on the ground
Datto on the ground

Post by jock »

I will be sleeping in a tent. Don't mind the sleeping on the ground. The is one thing that I ask from all of you though. Rather than me buy cooking gear etc would I be able to share yours? Will have my own cooler, tent sleeping bag, etc but I don't want to have to buy a stove, pots pans etc. I am sure if you lend me something some of my beers may just happen to find there way into your hands.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

sharing

Post by Idahopaul »

hey man, most likely Ill be there too, but I think I speak for everyone when I say, we will share. heck thats what friends are for! I bet you could even get someone to throw in a couple pieces of foam rubber to sleep on. and a tarp in case it rains!
remember, smuz says hes got gas, maybe we want his trailer to be far away, might be a fire hazard! I remember those days of a venison diet and lots of whiskey and beer and living in a travel trailer! thats the past though!
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

jock wrote:I will be sleeping in a tent. Don't mind the sleeping on the ground. The is one thing that I ask from all of you though. Rather than me buy cooking gear etc would I be able to share yours? Will have my own cooler, tent sleeping bag, etc but I don't want to have to buy a stove, pots pans etc. I am sure if you lend me something some of my beers may just happen to find there way into your hands.
No problem jock! I'm sure we'll have plenty to go around!

A couple of years ago at a club weekend run, we had a guy show up with his wife "just for the day"...We were all staying the weekend, and scrounged up an extra tent, sleeping bags...everything except clean undies for them!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

everything except clean undies for them!
LMAO!!!! :lickbarf:
silver sam
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by silver sam »

WE are planning on wheeling this area in July. WE were there a couple of times 8or9 years ago and it was great.
SAM
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

COOL!!! Are you planning on going to the meet???
I'd rather be driving my LJ!