Rules, Rules, Rules

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Rules, Rules, Rules

Post by KDKG »

The Alpine Loop, however, cannot be completed with unlicensed motorcycles and all-terrain-vehicles (ATV's).

Colorado law requires unlicensed motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATV's) to display an annual OHV permit.

Liability insurance is required for all unlicensed motorcycles and ATV's in San Juan and Ouray Counties.

Just some quotes from here...
http://www.sheriffsjc.com/atv01.html

Was trying to decide if I was going to bring the Sami or not. My Sami is only registered as an OHV, no tags. For what it is worth to yall...
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Ok so does this apply to us? We are not ATV's. :wink:

But seriously what do we need to do, there are not to many of us that have our LJ's licensed. Do we need to get these permits and can we get them before we even go? That would be nice so there will be one less thing to do when we get there.

*ADDED 5 MINUTES LATER*

I just remembered that I received one of those fold-outs with my Silverton package...

You can buy a OHV Permit for $15.50 at:

Silverton Conoco Station - 864 Greene St, Silverton CO.

Red Mountain Motel - 664 Green St, Silverton CO.

Ridgway State Park - Hwy 550 North of Ouray CO.

Lake City Auto - 809 N. Hwy 149, Lake City CO.

If you have full coverage on any of your vehicles you should be covered liability wise for anything you drive BUT check with your insurance agency. Also to pay to have Liability on your LJ for a week is VERY cheap. Actually the shortest time is a month that they will insure you for.

You know they still don't say anything for unlicensed jeeps. :?:
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

UPDATE! I missed this earlier when I looked on that web site that KDKG posted.

Here is where you can order your permits and they will be sent to you via the mail.

http://parks.state.co.us/home/publicati ... permit.asp
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

I was more upset about the ATV's (OHV's) not being permitted in the alpine look itself.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well apparently they are allowed in quite a few other areas. I've been told that our camping area has an ATV staging area at one end, so obviously some trails lead out of there.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

The way I read it, all of the Alpine loop is open to unlicensed ATV's and motorcycles except one road at Lake City, Hwy 149 looks like about 3 or 4 miles of it. In fact there are ATV staging areas at Lake City and at the end of 149 where it starts again on the Alpine Loop.

On the below scan I made of the map the one that KDKG linked to, on the bottom left corner you can see the Eureka site where we will be camping at, straight up from there you'll see "Cinnamon Pass" and the trail above it is most likely where we will start at and then go across to the right (East) to Lake City then down Hwy 149 to CR 30 and back over (West) to below Cinnamon Pass then back down to the camp site. Or we will go around starting below Cinnamon Pass etc etc That's all up to Steve he's going to be the Trail Leader.

And according to the Legend only the roads that have the yellow lines with the brown dashes in them (plus the solid black lines, Hwy's) are NOT for ATV's and motorcycles, in the scan below there isn't any roads you can't go on...
Attachments
legend.jpg
legend.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 30645 times
alpineloop.jpg
alpineloop.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 30650 times
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yes, in fact when I was talking with the Silverton Chamber of Commerce, they said that there is an ATV staging area at one end of the Eureka townsite (where we'll be camping). I'll try and find space at the other end of the camping area, so we don't have to listen to the ATV's, though midweek there probably won't be too many.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

ah yes that's a good idea , since Smuz and I will be there a day before you we will try and get the best spot we can, and then rope it off!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Jimny wrote:ah yes that's a good idea , since Smuz and I will be there a day before you we will try and get the best spot we can, and then rope it off!
When are you guys getting there? I'll be there Monday, late morning or early afternoon. I'll be in Durango over the weekend, at a place with full hookups, so Monday morning I'll top off all the tanks and head up there. I might stop in Silverton on the way, but we're taking the trian to Silverton on Sunday anyway, so I might just take care of it then.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

We will be there either Saturday night or Sunday morning, I bet it will be Saturday night. We are hoping to grab spots while people are leaving Sunday.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I bet it will be Saturday night.
I'll bet it won't be.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:
I bet it will be Saturday night.
I'll bet it won't be.
You two are really brothers, right?
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

You two are really brothers, right?
Right. We just have different mothers who had different husbands.

Jimny juss ain't got no idea how hard it is to keep Spooky Old Alice in the cab of a truck for over 10 hours.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Jimny juss ain't got no idea how hard it is to keep Spooky Old Alice in the cab of a truck for over 10 hours.
OH NO! :ohno: :wink:

See Smuz doesn't care all he has to do is pull off into a rest Area and walk back to his trailer and go in and go to the back and lie down in bed and go to sleep. (After a couple beers) RBB and I will have to sleep in my truck or find us a hotel room. We will figure something out...

so the answer to your question is: Sunday? :wink:

Also Ken with his Carry will be in this convoy too.
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

I am planning on the early thing too. Don't know how early, but Sunday does sound decent. Would like to look around some and let the kids stretch the legs. This, most likly, will be our only vacation this summer.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

This, most likely, will be our only vacation this summer
Yeah same here! I only get one week of vacation and so I might as well use the whole week!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

So Ken is going for sure? Think I had him on the "maybe" list. That'll be good, as there'll be another Carry (L41 from UT) there. :cool:

Everyone be sure to stop by the SJMA in Silverton when you get there! They can help you with maps, directions and such. We'll be walking around Silverton on Sunday (taking the old narrow gauge train from Durango that day). Gonna have to find some LJ wear, in case I see some of y'all. If not, I'll probably wear my "Wazuks" t-shirt.