New Zealand LJs in the bush for a weekend away .

Have a neat story while driving your LJ. Tell us!

Moderator: stevec

UBZ
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

New Zealand LJs in the bush for a weekend away .

Post by UBZ »

Diesel Boy and I took Wombat and Sandy away wheeling for the weekend to one of our favorite local tracks "Maratoto"
It's a rock /clay track in an old native logging area with alot of history .
The track can be very challenging in the wet

anyway I will quote Diesel Boy as he is a much better story teller than me . :wink:

DieselBoy wrote:We didn't go up to the Kauri Dam last year as the track was in need of some love.

The track got the love, the weather was nice and dry, a quick search on the net to see if there were any trip reports from other clubs to gauge track condition and so we decided it was the perfect opportunity to take Sandy and Wombat on their first real trip!!!

Buzzing accross the Hauraki planes tapped out at 80k's in a 2 stroke Suzuki with your tent, some food and the dog in the back is just awesome. That can only be topped by a glance in your rear vision mirror to see the bright yellow bonnet of Sandy :D :D Not often you see two LJ's traveling on the road in convoy anywhere in the world these days!!!!

Grabbed some lunch in Paeroa
Way to excited for pic's on the way up, but it was awesome, they just ate the track up. We made good time, so decided to do the 1 hours bush crash into the Dam that afternoon. The Dam had taken a hammering over the winter, a few more timbers had been priased off the deck by the storm surges, but otherwise it was still in good shape.

Some pic's :D

Sandy on ABC Rock on the way up

River in Sunday morning(why do people feel the need to leave rubbish in there?? Who do they think is going to remove it?? Idiots :lol: :lol: )
Coming down
Wombat down the rock face
Sandy coming down the rock face

Trying to set up a pose at ABC

Trying get some action shots, coming off ABC, but all pretty lame.

Some random LJ goodness from various spots on the track

Stopped for a swim at the ford, them buzzed home again, flat out at 80k's. Hard to explain how awesome it is to do a overnight trip like that in two trucks that both of us have put a lot of hard work into preserving and bringing back to life. No damage and no mechanical issues. Might be the start of more epic LJ trips!!
UBZ
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: New Zealand LJs in the bush for a weekend away .

Post by UBZ »

One of the most memorable 4wd trips I have ever been on ! 8)
Nothing quite like the smell of two stroke smoke mixed with dust ..... good company and one of my favorite tracks .

No issues apart from a clutch cable that decided to undo all of its attachment points simultaneously during a 1st to 2nd gear change . :lol: fixed 1min later with a 17mm ring spanner . Got to love how simple they are .

Not many pics but a random few.

Wombat going up the rock face

Sandy hiding in the bush

In the Loop :shock:

Bring on the next adventure . Just goes to show that 28" Tahs , a spade and some determination are all you need to have a truly awesome weekend away wheeling .
yan'o
RIP
RIP

Post by yan'o »

8)

missing these outing in lj .....
i'm setting my business now .... so no time to play .... yet !

enjoy mate .
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Great pics! I haven't had my LJ's out in awhile; starting to get the itch!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Great show. Also easy to enjoy the green stuff after a local snow storm. The fun you were having shows up as two stroke smoke in your pictures.
thanks

Myers
"LJsRME"