My LJ to be in a Japanese Collector Car Magazine

Have a neat story while driving your LJ. Tell us!

Moderator: stevec

McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

My LJ to be in a Japanese Collector Car Magazine

Post by McKFam »

Hello all,

Last year I went to a 6 state Datsun rally in Williams Arizona. There were over 50 pre 1983 Datsun’s there. I have a 1979 Fairlady Z (Japanese RHD 280ZX equivalent). A Japanese man who lives and works in California was there to take pictures and to write a story for a Japanese magazine that he free lances for while he lives and works in the USA. The magazine is called the Nostagic Hero. He was interested in all the really cool cars and took pictures of some of the more rare ones. My Fairlady was included and he wrote the article and it hit in the December/January timeframe if I recall. Talking to him I stated that I had a really rare Japanese vehicle that he might be interested in. I told him about my LJ10 and how original it was etc. He was truly interested in it and asked if he could stop by next time he was in the Phoenix area. I said yes and that was that. We kept in touch now and then but about a month or so ago he said he was going to be in the Phoenix area and could he stop by and take pictures of my LJ as well as my Fairlady. I said certainly. I invited him for Dinner on Sunday as this is a big family time for us. I warned him we had a HUGE family and explained it to him. (Currently 14 kids at home currently for those that are not aware. Another Story). He was now really curios to come by my home. Long story short he came and took tons of pictures (and drove) not only the Fairlady but my 69 Fury III Convertible. He loved them both and could not believe the size of my Fury. But he was enamored with the LJ. He took tons of pictures everywhere even underneath and was absolutely amazed that the LJ not only started and drove so well but looked so good. He said that his Japanese readers would really enjoy this as they are either non existent anymore in Japan or in a museum. Certainly not driving on the streets. After several hours we had dinner. He and his girlfriend had a great time eating with us as we had not only the children at home but some of my married kids and grandkids as well. I am the chef on Sundays and he ate 5 helpings of my pot roast and 2 of my homemade bread. 20+ people for Sunday dinner is pretty normal for us each week. What was 2 more?

Since then he has done some research on the LJ and found this. (See link below) Maybe you all have seen this before as I have not read all messages on this board but for those of you that have not it is very interesting. I have a PDF copy (of the LJ10) but on this web site you can down load not only the LJ10 new car brochures but all Jimny products. So I hope that this in of interest and help to all.

As for the article he is not sure but says maybe the first of next year. I am sure that he will add the family as this is not only different in the USA but unheard of in Japan. 7 if our own kids and 10 adopted (plus 3 foster right now) is not normal anywhere especially in Japan. Couple this with a our 15 Pass Van and my Fury that we had parked side by side to the LJ (Yuo Ming next to Spud Web) and the Fairlady which most Japanese are familiar with and of course the LJ he feels it will be an interesting story for his Japanese readers. The sad part is that it will be all in Japanese so I will not know if he said nice things or not. I will try to let you know when it hits the Japanese news stands. I think they also may have a version on the internet. (If you read Japanese)

Soooo that is my most recent LJ story. Sorry for the book. I think he got more than just a story on the LJ. I guess I am not the typical collector of old cars let alone LJ’s and or RHD drive cars.

McKFam

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/jimny/#/catalog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No Other Success can Compensate for Failure in the Home
dunstan
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: My LJ to be in a Japanese Collector Car Magazine

Post by dunstan »

Thanks McKFam, the LJ10 catalog is great!
Photos of my LJ10: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCfr8gy
Manuals for the LJ10: http://1976design.com/lj10/
Tommy g
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tommy g »

I have never seen that catalog before, the lj20v looks great, makes me want to repaint mine again and spend some more time on the bodywork and do a shiny paint job
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Cool story and great link.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Awesome story! :cool:
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Hello all and hope you all had a great holiday. Hope we all have a great New Year. I think we are going to need some help.

Wanted to give you an update on the article. I have been working with the guy to answer all his questions. Looks like the article will come out in the next few months. I will keep you posted.

McKFam
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

I just noticed that this guy has joined the forum. NosHero He has asked some questions so you all can be part of this too. I told him to check this site out. I guess he did.

Nostagic Hero is the Magazine Name. You can Google it.

McKFam
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Got the newest edition of Nostagic Hero in the mail today mailed directly from Japan. There are some cool pictures of my LJ as well as some of my other cars and family. Have no clue what is written but sure it is what we talked about. NosHero stated he will try to post the article on the forum. In the mean time I am going to try to get this translated so I can see what he had to say about the LJ and everything else.

If he does not post it I will scan it in and share.

It is vol 156. I will see if it is on the internet.

Have a good one

McKFam
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Hello all, I know that NosHero posted some pictures but here are some I scanned from the magazine. Brush up on your Japanese.

That was fun. Will let you know if I get any fan mail from Japan. Maybe if someone offers me a boat load of money I will sell.

Thanks for reading

McKFam
Attachments
Nostalgic Hero Doc March 2013_0003 XXsm.jpg
Nostalgic Hero Doc March 2013_0002 XXsm.jpg
Nostalgic Hero Doc March 2013_0001 XXsm.jpg
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

:cool:
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dunstan
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by dunstan »

Any chance you could show us the scans in a larger size? I'd love to see your car close up.
Photos of my LJ10: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCfr8gy
Manuals for the LJ10: http://1976design.com/lj10/
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

dunstan wrote:Any chance you could show us the scans in a larger size? I'd love to see your car close up.
Don't know if I have any OCR for Japanese... :shock:
This is retirement?
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

I Have bigger pictures but the system would not let me post them. Tell me how to do that or send me a PM with your email and I would be happy to email them to anyone. I have some pretty funky cars. This guy was more interested in the LJ as it is so rare in Japan now. 2 Stroke engines just do not exist there any more. I guess they do not too much here either unless you are weed wacking or cutting a tree down.

Let me know and I will send larger pictures.

McKFam