Whipsaw, Canada 2017

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Whipsaw, Canada 2017

Post by Ruby »

stevec wrote:I emailed and reserved a site at River's Edge this morning. Also checked the 14 day forecast and the weather looks about perfect!

I'll leave work a bit early to avoid the afternoon commute traffic; hope to be up there by around 7pm. See you all there!
I'm planning to be there by that time at the latest as well. I'll be tenting it. What rig are you bringing?
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I'm leaning towards bringing Rocky, the grey RHD LJ10. The LJ10's are a lot lighter than the LJ81 or my LWB Samurai, so easier to trailer behind the motorhome. Cheez Whiz is at the back of the garage waiting for me to rebuild the carb, but that has been a low priority. Plus Rocky has the full top (in case of bugs or thunderstorms) and does a bit better on the highway. I'll still be slow (top speed = 50mph on level ground!) but the highway has a passing lane most of the way.

Tow rig is a beige 25' Coachmen Prism motorhome, Sprinter chassis.
Attachments
Loaded for Liberty.jpg
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I'd love to see a two stroke in action again, been since the Alberta meet a few years back. The LWB is lookin' good! Oh, and nice tow rig too :D
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Just an FYI for people camping at the Rivers Edge campground, they don't take reservations for tenting. They typically have had lots of room when I've been there in the past so for those of us tenting, it shouldn't be a problem getting a spot.

On a different note, I've almost got my rebuilt f10a ready for my LJ. The rest of it may look terrible but at least it will have a new engine!
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

Throwing out a request here if any one going to the Whipsaw outing has a extra carburetor for a f8 that they would be willing to part with I will be very grateful with cash. At the presant time I have a lj80 and a lj81 that have to share a single carburetor. Have tried a aftermarket carb but can't get it to work as it should, hoping someone has a spare one, would like to drive both without spending time under the hood in order to do it.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Tweedy bird wrote:Throwing out a request here if any one going to the Whipsaw outing has a extra carburetor for a f8 that they would be willing to part with I will be very grateful with cash. At the presant time I have a lj80 and a lj81 that have to share a single carburetor. Have tried a aftermarket carb but can't get it to work as it should, hoping someone has a spare one, would like to drive both without spending time under the hood in order to do it.
I'll dig through my stuff and see if I have one. I know I have a couple F10A carbs but not sure on the F8A.
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

That is very much appreciated probably only a jetting difference, will be better than what I have now.
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

I was planning to have Toyzuki ready for this, and in fact it will be but my shotgun and tow driver just bailed on me. So unless I can find someone on Vancouver Island that has a tow rig in the next few days I might be out. I do have that stock sidekick still but it's not nearly as fun.
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

This has been a bit tough getting ready for. I rebuilt my F10a but it was smoking like crazy after and passing quite a bit of raw oil into the exhaust. Figured I put my second ring in upside down so I pulled the engine back out today and double checked the rings. Everything seems good and specs out correctly. Fired it up again and it's still smoking a lot. I figure I'll just run it as much as possible before I leave and hope the rings do something. Unless someone has some other ideas for what I may have missed. The rings are Maruti brand ones for Suzuki in India, thought they would be fine being Suzuki but maybe not.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Rick Friesen wrote:This has been a bit tough getting ready for. I rebuilt my F10a but it was smoking like crazy after and passing quite a bit of raw oil into the exhaust. Figured I put my second ring in upside down so I pulled the engine back out today and double checked the rings. Everything seems good and specs out correctly. Fired it up again and it's still smoking a lot. I figure I'll just run it as much as possible before I leave and hope the rings do something. Unless someone has some other ideas for what I may have missed. The rings are Maruti brand ones for Suzuki in India, thought they would be fine being Suzuki but maybe not.
Did you check the clearance? I would think Maruti parts would be fine, but maybe the specs are just a little off... I know the "new" specs are a lot tighter than the original pistons were, about half of what is in the FSM.

Also see if all four are leaking oil or just one; that could narrow down a specific problem.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

If nothing else, you can ride with me. My LJ10 is only about 1300#, and with my 215# all on one side it tends to lean a bit! :oops:
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I'm riding solo too, co pilot ended up being busy.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Looks like Glen and I will be taking turns riding with other people. He doesn't have a way of getting his LJ there and mine isn't running good enough.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Rick Friesen wrote:Looks like Glen and I will be taking turns riding with other people. He doesn't have a way of getting his LJ there and mine isn't running good enough.
Happy that you guys still decided to come, it will still be a fun time for sure. I know how much effort it takes to get our rigs ready, too bad it didnt work out this time, but there is always next.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Technically speaking I do have a single rear seat in the LJ10, but I wouldn't suggest anyone sit back there. Glad you can still make it, and yes we'll definitely have (front) seats for you both!

I'm packed up and ready to go. Will probably leave the office about 2:00 if not sooner, and hopefully be on the road by 2:30. That should put me in Princeton about 7 or 7:30.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I'm hearing there are large fires around Princeton and colemont, highways are closed. Is there anyone in that area yet? Sounds like it is near the whipsaw trail. :-(
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

Posting on behalf of my dad, as he was looking at this, but is not the most tech savvy! He is planning on coming tomorrow although I am busy with the family.

All the reports that we are seeing are stating the fire is on highway 5a. It looks to be almost 10k from colemont. It will mean that you will have to go through Kelowna. You can see where the fire is in the link below.

http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/wildfire/map.html
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I made it through colemont road from the 97c highway side, turns off and heads through otter lake. Listening to the river right now. Plan is to meet a couple guys at the A&W at 8:00 ish am.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

First pic at the begining of the road, several different suzuki generations present
Attachments
IMG_6366.JPG
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

A few pics from my phone:
Attachments
20170708_115209_HDR.jpg
20170708_111351.jpg
20170708_105609.jpg
20170708_084529.jpg
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I know a lot of guys were taking video of the more challenging spots... Let's get those posted!
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Some pictures...
Attachments
IMG_5816 small.jpg
IMG_5822 small.jpg
IMG_5826 small.jpg
IMG_5830 small.jpg
IMG_5845 small.jpg
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Despite not being able to bring my own LJ I had a great time riding in most of the rigs as a passenger! I wasn't quite brave enough to ride with Brian, he doesn't shy away from any obstacle and lives a little on the edge. :cool:
Like Aaron mentioned, it was pretty awesome seeing seven different Suzuki 4x4s present and the fact that they all did really well on the trail.
If I remember right, I believe we had Steve with an LJ10, Philip with an LJ81, Aaron with an LJ80Q, Brian with an SJ410V, Jake with an SJ413K (long wheelbase Sami), Stewart with a Samurai, and Dave with a Sidekick.

The SJ410V, SJ413K, and the Samurai all made it up Janzen Memorial Rock in front of a group of larger rigs that possibly needed to see how it was done. :shock:
I also learned that LJ10s do not stall when going up steep rocks, they simply stop and go back down with the engine running backwards! Like to see a Jeep try that!

Seven rigs, seven drivers representing most generations, no major break downs, plenty of laughs on the trail, and one great weekend!
Attachments
IMG_5836 small.jpg
IMG_5847 small.jpg
IMG_5855 small.jpg
IMG_5862 small.jpg
IMG_5865 small.jpg
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

Was great to get out on this trip, even if I didn't have my own rig to drive! Being a passenger all the time did allow me to get out often for pictures and video though! I will try to get the better ones up here in a bit. Oh and I did ride with Brian, it wasn't as bad as Rick makes it out to be :poke:

Here is Phil
https://youtu.be/osMEhCcO7m0

Steve
https://youtu.be/1wue9mBEVN4

Phil just before Jansen rock
https://youtu.be/5-bUTSYbXPc

Jake
https://youtu.be/AvBw4ImfYks

And Rick was scared to ride with Brian!
https://youtu.be/x_J-ZhDyTCY
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
Banzai
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Banzai »

Looks like you folks had a great time. It would be great to be able to join in some day, and meet some of you.

For now, though, I must keep plugging away at my little buggy.

Ron