Moab - April 2018

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Moab - April 2017

Post by stevec »

Planning a trip out to Moab with some guys in my local club the last week of April. I'm bringing my LWB Samurai instead of an LJ, as my friends will want to do the harder trails, but thought I'd post it up here in case anyone else wants to join us. Still working on specifics but we will probably be dry camping in one of the BLM areas.

Last week of April = after EJS but (hopefully) not too terribly hot yet. 8)
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Moab - April 2017

Post by Ruby »

Moab is definitley on my to do list but not that soon. :-(
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Jonny Zuk
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Jonny Zuk »

Dang it. If the trip was mid May, I could join you in my Samurai. (I'm taking some engineering courses this spring, so I cannot travel anywhere until they have finished.)

I've been out to Moab three times myself. All during the Easter Jeep Safari, or as we used to call it, the Zukfari. Sadly, the organized Zukfari is no more.

Anyways, I think that Moab's trails definitely favor the 90"+ wheelbase rigs, so that is wise of you to take your LWB Samurai. If I ever went back, I would take a minimal lift/31" tire Samurai/Sidekick, or a LWB/Stretched Samurai. That, and I would never run Pritchett Canyon again. :ohno:
Over 25 years of Suzuki Samurai ownership
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I've heard it is really busy during EJS, so I wanted to avoid that, but go as early as possible before it gets too hot there.

We did the LJ meet there in 2009 and the LJ10/20's did really well. Shorter wheelbase, but also narrow (so more lines to choose from) and the lack of overhangs front and rear made things easier.
Jonny Zuk
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Jonny Zuk »

I guess it all depends on your personal view of what is or is not a difficult trail. It is all very subjective. There is a wide range of trail difficulty at Moab, but the more difficult obstacles and trails are definitely designed/selected for something longer than a 80" wheelbase; i.e. the Hell's Revenge Escalator, Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim etc. Pritchett Canyon has a 3 foot drop gate to enter the trail.

https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=70

https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=32

The LJ would do well on the easy to moderate trails. They sit about as high as a stock Samurai, but the larger wheel wells will fit a 30" tire. They also weigh 700lb less, so that would be a big plus for the center of gravity. However, the narrower track would be a detriment in off camber situations. That is the scary part of the Moab trails. Going up a steep incline, while leaning to one side or suddenly finding yourself in unforeseen off camber situation.

I looked at the pics and notes from the 2009 meet. The group took on some easy to moderate trails, and I would expect that an LJ would be able to tackle those without much difficulty. Actually, I prefer that type of off-roading and exploring. Taking a stock or slightly modified stock vehicle and seeing what it can do.

Has your group decided on which trails you will be running?
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

hey guys wanted to let you know there is a huge car show at the end of april and if you haven't got a room by now you are not going to plus room rates are very high during that time just fyi
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Jonny Zuk
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Jonny Zuk »

From the first post, it looks like they are planning to stay in a BLM camping area.

The Moab hotels also triple their rates during the Easter Jeep Safari week/weekend.
suzukij
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by suzukij »

From experience, avoid Moab at all costs easter jeep safari. It keeps getting worse every single year.
Jonny Zuk
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Jonny Zuk »

The last time I went to the Easter jeep safari was in 2011. It wasn't that bad then, and it actually seemed like the overall attendance had significantly decreased. It was possibly 50% less than from when I first attended in 2000.

The other big change from 2000-2011 was that in 2011 nearly every vehicle in attendance was a four-door Wrangler or a fabricated buggy of some sort. In fact, there were not really any other makes/clubs than Jeep represented. I believe we had around 10 Suzukis there, and we were probably the second largest vehicle brand represented. However, it was a pretty poor showing, and the last of the organized Moab Zukfaris.

Of course there are ten times the number of off-road vehicles driving around town than there are on the trails. Many people drive/tow their vehicles to Moab and hang out as sort of a social gathering, and they have no intention of running any of the trails. So the town may seem packed, but the trails are wide open. I did not have any traffic problems running the trails, but the hardcore trails might have been more packed due to the buggies.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Jonny Zuk wrote:The other big change from 2000-2011 was that in 2011 nearly every vehicle in attendance was a four-door Wrangler or a fabricated buggy of some sort. In fact, there were not really any other makes/clubs than Jeep represented. I believe we had around 10 Suzukis there, and we were probably the second largest vehicle brand represented. However, it was a pretty poor showing, and the last of the organized Moab Zukfaris
I've noticed the same thing for the Easter Jeep Safari. I attended every EJS from 1994 thru 2000, and witnessed the transition from "just slightly modified" to "full-on" trail runners. I thought it was a lot more fun when the vehicles were only slightly modified. I kinda got out of 4 wheeling when I literally couldn't keep up with the Jones no matter how much of my disposable income I threw at my Samurai at the time. I've been back to Moab about four times since then, once in 2005 with my Samurai (may it rest in peace) for the Zukifari, and three times with the LJ.
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We had a lot of interest in this from my club, but few could meet the April deadline, so we are postponing this to next year (April 2018).
yan'o
RIP
RIP

Post by yan'o »

Who knows .... i might even be able to make it , if finances are allowing .
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

stevec wrote:We had a lot of interest in this from my club, but few could meet the April deadline, so we are postponing this to next year (April 2018).
OK, that is more like it!!!!!
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Keep me posted on this one. I will really try to make this one next year. I have enough time to plan. Please send me dates (when you can) so I can put it on my calendar. Moab is about 8 hours from here and that is doable for me.
No Other Success can Compensate for Failure in the Home
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Tentative plan right now is April 23-27. It'll take me a couple of days to get there, and also to get home, so I'll travel on the weekends and wheel during the week.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Hello Steve and all,

So is this trip still on? Just looking at my travel schedule to Asia and trying to see if I can make this one.

How many are planning to attend?

Please let me know.

Thanks

McKFam
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I just brought this up at my local club meeting last Tuesday. At this point, I am still planning to go. I'm undecided on what to bring, but right now I am leaning towards my RHD LJ10, since it is lighter(easier to tow behind the motorhome) and it has better approach and departure angles than my LWB Samurai. Dates are currently the same - April 23-27.

So far I have one other person fully committed to going from my club, and another friend of mine will likely be there at the same time with his brothers. Lots of other "maybe's" and "probably's", but I've learned that most of those generally do not show up.

Haven't thought much about camping yet. My motorhome is fully self-contained so I can camp anywhere I can drive it, but if others prefer a traditional campground that is fine with me too.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Moab - April 2018

Post by stevec »

Merged this to a new 2018 thread so it is less confusing.

Is anyone else interested in going on this trip? We are working on logistics (camping, etc.) this week. Trail runs will depend on what vehicles are with us. If it is just my buddy and me I might bring the LWB, but if there are other LJ's I'll probably bring the LJ10. Each has its advantages - the LWB has lockers, winch, and more power, but the LJ10 has better approach/departure angles, a lower center of gravity, and is easier to tow behind the motorhome.

I'm also thinking about selling Cheez Whiz this spring, so I may bring it with a "for sale" sign on it. :?
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Moab - April 2018

Post by McKFam »

Hello Steve,

So far those dates are still good for me. I probably can't stay the entire time but I am hoping to make it to at least a few days. If it works out I will bring my stock LJ10 so I am probably not going to want to do anything too crazy. I would just like to get it out and also have you look at it as I think you could probably make a few minor adjustments and it would run better. I have done nothing to the carb or engine.

Let me try to finalize. I do not have a motor home or trailer so I am either camping or doing the hotel thing. So I am a definite maybe at this time.

Keep me posted and I will try to keep you posted.

Thanks

McKFam
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

if you are planning on being there april 27-29 it won't happen there is a car show going on there and it is already sold out just fyi
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

McKFam wrote:Hello Steve,

So far those dates are still good for me. I probably can't stay the entire time but I am hoping to make it to at least a few days. If it works out I will bring my stock LJ10 so I am probably not going to want to do anything too crazy. I would just like to get it out and also have you look at it as I think you could probably make a few minor adjustments and it would run better. I have done nothing to the carb or engine.

Let me try to finalize. I do not have a motor home or trailer so I am either camping or doing the hotel thing. So I am a definite maybe at this time.

Keep me posted and I will try to keep you posted.

Thanks

McKFam
It would be great to see that LJ10 again! I can definitely help you if you need any help with it. I will try to look at camping options this week.

As far as trails, we won't do anything too scary. We'll start with easier trails (i.e. Fins N Things) and work our way up as thw week progresses.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Thanks for the reply.

I have cleared it with the Boss (my wife) and it looks like my son can come too. He was with me as a little boy when I bought it in Boise over 10 years ago. He will be home from college. I will probably drive up Early Monday morning (Maybe late Sunday) and Drive back Thursday afternoon. (Looks like we need to clear out before the car show) That will give me 2 full days plus maybe Monday afternoon and Thursday morning. I have a tent or in theory I could "camp" in the 6x12 trailer that I haul the LJ in. I am OK with camping. Just need a good air mattress. Have Coleman lantern, stove and griddle.

Anyone else from the group able to come? Would like to meet as many as possible.

The only possible issue is if I get called to Asia that week. Right now it is a good time as I am going in end of Feb and May so April should be OK but you just never know.

Looking forward to this. About time I came to something.

McKFam
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Great! I'll have a 24' motorhome, towing a 14' aluminum trailer. We'll get there either Saturday or Sunday night. I can go at least 3-4 days in the motorhome without filling/dumping tanks. We may stay at a campground in town the first few days and then dry camp somewhere, depending on where others want to camp and availability. Once I know I will post up here.
bryson
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by bryson »

Sounds like a fun trip! Moab in April is great albeit very busy. Maybe someone needs to make a spur trip up to SLC to pick up a spare LJ10!?! :wink: :wink:
1972 LJ10
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Bryson I am originally from SLC. Moved out to Colorado in 1986. I ran into my first LJ in 1980 in Lindon. Long story.

So if you have an LJ why not come on down to Moab. Less than 4 hours drive.

So what constitutes as a "Spare" LJ? Curious minds want to know. I will be in SLC in May (if not sooner)

McKFam