Pics and reports thread

July 21-23, 2012, in Silver City, Idaho!

Moderator: stevec

tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Pics and reports thread

Post by tweeder »

You people SHOULD be familiar with what to do... :Rude:
A legend in my own mind.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Pics thread

Post by Smuz »

:Flip:
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I didn't take any pics, but Meyers, Tweedy Bird, and Steve took a bunch, tho.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Here's an initial report on the meet.

We pulled in to the campground in Marsing about 10am Fri. Meyers and Tweedy Bird were standing in the entrance talking. Old Steve and his wife Pat were already there and set up with Stvec's two girls.

The irrigation sprinklers were going where we wanted to camp, so we unloaded most of our camping stuff out of the truck and onto a picnic table to wait for the sprinklers to turn off. They turned off about 11:30 and we got set up. The rest of the day was just hanging out, talking to old friends and trying to relax in the oppressive heat.

Sat morning: Since I had no idea how much gas was in Wilson, Tweedy Bird and I decided to make aout a 5 mile run to a gas station that sold non-ethanol gas. Plus, Wilson had not been run in a coupla years and I wanted to try him out. He ran like crap and smoked like you wouldn't believe. I almost turned around, but decided just to run him hard and see what happened. Well, he straightened up, quit smoking so bad after about 3 miles and ran perfectly the rest of the trip.

After we returned, we found out that Stevec wasn't gonna be in until at least 3pm. So Meyers, old Steve, Tweedy Bird myself decided to make the run to Silver City just for sumpin to do. That was an experience.

It was 30 miles down a 2 lane blacktop hiway to the turn off to Silver City, and then 28 miles more to Silver City. 30 miles down the hiway with the gas pedal pinned to the floor and that little 2 stroke running 6500 rpm. I still can't hear well outta my left ear. Then about 10 miles down a chip sealed road to where the gravel started.

After about 5 miles of dirt road, old Steve overheated and had to stop and cool down. When he started back up, Meyers LJ made a hiccup and didn't wanna play no more. He thot he'd swallowed a reed. After looking at the clock, we figgered it'd be 4pm before we got back and decided to turn around and go back to the campground.

Apparently Meyers LJ had just puked a buncha fuel in the crankcase when he shut it off hot and cleared up after about 5 miles. We figgered we'd had enuf fun anyway, and went on back.

That was 90 miles of high speed (for an LJ) running at 6000+ rpm. They all took it fine. I was proud of 'em.

When we got back, Stevec was there. He was mystified when old Steve, Meyers, and I said that we were gonna TRAILER our LJ's to the end of the chip seal road the next day. I, for one DIDN'T need another 90 mile high speed run with Wilson in 100+ heat.

To be continued...
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I fergot, we saw Dion camped just off the dirt road on the way back. Tweedy Bird stopped and talked to him and he said he'd come back to the campground and hang out with us for awhile.

So Sunday...

Stevec had said we would leave at 8am for Silver City. He wasn't quite ready, so we left HIM. :))):

Tweedy bird took off in his LJ at 8. old Steve and I left at 8:10 with our LJ's trailered. Meyers was to meet us at the parking area at the end of the chip seal road. I caught and passed Tweedy Bird about 10 miles from the turn off. We got to the parking area and Dion and Meyers had just got there. We started unloading and Tweedy Bird rolled in about 10 minutes later. Stevec rolled in about 15 minutes after that. We took a group pic and then we were off to Silver City.

After we passed the spot we'd turned around the day before, it was nuthin but STEEP uphill into Siver City for about 5 miles. I dunno about the rest, but I was in 2nd gear high with the throttle pinned all the way up. Sheesh. Dion had some power probs with his huge tires and less tha optimal engine and made most of the climb in low range, 1st gear. Stevc stayed back with him while we went ahead.

Silver City was cool.

to be continued after lunch...
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Pics and reports thread

Post by Smuz »

Silver City...

We all, except for Stevec and Dion, made it without incident. Stevec and Dion pulled in about 30 mins later, after redistributing coolers and people to take the load off of Dion's LJ10.

We wandered and drove around Silver City for a coupla hours. Pretty cool old 1800's town that people still live in (in the summer).

We had heard from Dion that there was a neat 11 mile trail loop back at the bottom of the big hill. Several of us wanted to go try it, but some wanted to stay in Silver City, so me, Tweedy, and Meyers took off for the loop. After waiting for awhile to see if anybody else was gonna show up, we took of on the loop.

Holy mackerel, was that a less than good idea! We went about 3/4 mile when Tweedy stopped and said "Do we REALLY want to go 11 more miles of THIS?". Uhhhh, no. It was head sized rocks like gravel, trees overgrown on the trail where you couldn't see to the end of the hood. Just nasty. And in 100*+ heat w/ no breeze. Tweedy's wife had had more than enuf, too.

So we headed back to the trailhead, loaded up, and me and Meyers headed back to camp in our trucks while Tweedy drove his LJ back. Mrs. Tweedy rode w/ Alice and I in the air conditioned Xena.

We pulled back into camp hot and tired to get ready for the potluck dinner. All the LJ's ran great and outlasted us mortals. It was HOT! Over 100* w/ not much breeze. It was just a killer in the sun, and there weren't much shade.

To be continued...
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

The potluck was a great success. We had it by where I tented. It was in the shade and the breeze picked up a bit so it was very nice. Stevec provided the steaks and everyone else chipped in with beans, jambalaya, salad, bread, and desert. Yummy. We all ate WAY too much.

Then we sat around and had a great gab-fest. A wonderful time was had by all.

Oh, I forgot, Dion had a flat on his trailer on the way back. Luckily, his trailer took the same wheel pattern as an LJ, so he used Stevec's spare from his LJ to make it back.

Unfortunantly, Alice and I had commitments and had to leave Mon am, as did Meyers. Tweedy and both Steves stayed until Tues. And Dion lives there. So I dunno what happened after Mon. am.

We had a long, but uneventful, trip home and pulled into the driveway at 2 pm on Wed. And it was 105*. Crap. I'm now taking my time unloading and getting caught up on my beer drinking. Oh, and trying to explain to a pissed-off parrot where I've been and why I didn't take him. And he ain't being real unnerstanding.

This was not the best meet I've been to. The main probs were being 50 miles from the trail but most of all the blasted HEAT.
I'm too damned old to be able to handle that kinda heat on the trail. Other than those two things, it was a great meet and we still had a good time and it was nice to meet everbody again.

I did have a few go-rounds with the lady that owns the campground. It seems that she thinks watering her grass is MUCH more important than her paying customers. If you've got a tent set up for a few days (paying for the privilege) and she thinks it's time to water then, by god, you just need to move your tent and all your stuff until she's done watering in 3-4 hours. Or your stuff gets real wet. And she don't want dogs on her precious grass (although she did make an exception for the Steve's dogs, Christy and Charlie, who were very well behaved). Not conducive to repeat business for me.

Well, there you have my report. Can't wait until next year.
Demomike
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Demomike »

Thanks for the report!
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Demomike wrote:Thanks for the report!
You're very welcome.
And why were'nt YOU there?
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

sorry i could not make it but cant wait for the pics thanks again and hope everyone had fun
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Sundown - Saturday, July 28.

Just got home to 107 degrees F.

4650+ miles total but that included several long side trips to see more of Mother Nature's handy work while we were there.

13+ hours driving today.

Will give update and what pics I took later.

Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We got home last night a bit after 7:00. Partly cloudy and 71. About the same today. :Rude:

We had a little miscommunication on Saturday - I told mom I'd be there no later than 3:00, hopefully earlier. We pulled in about 1:30. No biggie; I still had to unload everything, and like Smuz said, it was HOT! By the time I had camp set up, I didn't feel like doing much, except have a beer or two.

I didn't feel like trailering my LJ's, since I would have to hitch the trailer up to the camper again, so we just drove it. Wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to do it every day. When Smuz and the others left for the infamous 11 mile trail, we met up with Dion and did a trip up to the top of War Eagle Mountain. Shorter (only 5-6 miles), and 4WD was only used a little, but we were up around 8000', away from the oppressive heat, so it was great. Pictures will come - I'll probably take the laptop to work tomorrow and upload there, as the internet is faster there.

Since Smuz and Myers left Monday morning, we took a little more time to get going. We were ready to go about 9:00 when Dion pulled in, but he was having trouble with his tow rig. After getting new tires installed on his trailer, putting in a new alternator, belt, and working on his LJ a bit more, we decided to hang out until after lunch and then go out. According to the local news, it was still 90* at midnight Monday morning, but then the breeze kicked in and it cooled off. At lunchtime it was still in the 70's, and felt MUCH better than the day before. Since it was cooler, we decided to do some lower trails off Hemingway Butte, which was only about 15 miles from camp. We got out there thinking we'd just go a few hours and head back, but we were having so much fun we ended up staying out until about 7:00. Dion must have said at least a dozen times "We should have come here yesterday, these trails are great, and so much closer". Every time I responded by saying "This would have sucked yesterday, remember how much hotter it was?"

Back at camp we just did a big spaghetti feed for those who were left, and chatted some more. Edie's (Mrs. Tweedy Bird) was celebrating her 29th birthday again, so they went out for dinner, and joined us on the lawn later. We all sang to her as she walked up, then Amber serenaded her with Happy Birthday in french.

Tuesday morning the rest of us left - we headed down to Lave Beds National Monument and Crater Lake, which is why we just got home last night. Smuz tried to jinx the transmission by saying it was about time for another replacement, and the tranny missed a shift and threw a code on the way to Burns, OR, but it cleared up after awhile, so I'm safe for another year. I did have to replace the camper batteries, as they weren't taking a charge anymore, but I guess 4 1/2 years is ok for deep cycles. :roll:

If I go back there again (and I'm sure I will), I'm going to just camp at the campground at Silver City. It was about a 2 hour trip up there, and another 2 hours to get back to camp. It was fine once, but I wouldn't want to do it every day, and it burned a lot of gas and time going to/from the trails. There are a lot of trails up there, enough to keep one busy for a week or more, but it would be more fun without the commute. I was very glad it cooled off Monday, so we could comfortably run the trails that were closer to camp.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

One more thing:

Someone had found a gas station just outside of Marsing with Ethanol-free gas, so we filled our tanks there. In hindsight, I think this was a mistake, at least Sunday night.

When leaving for the trails Monday, the LJ81 just quit in camp, and wouldn't start. I tried and tried, almost killing the battery, until I got it going again. Right after pulling out on the highway, it tried to quit again, but I kept it running this time (though I did pull over in case another car showed up.) I figured I could still catch up to Mom, Stephen and Dion; within a few miles I came across Mom and Stephen on the side of the road. I figured they had stopped to wait for me, but they were having the same problem, and were thinking about just turning around and going back to camp. I told them my issue, and we decided to press on. At this point I was convinced that the problem was the gas, not with our rigs. Out on the trail, it quit again, and we popped the hood. We found a slightly leaky gas line to the carb, and trimmed it down so it would seal better. Since I had gas on my hands, I tried to sniff it, but it didn't smell like gas. In fact, it didn't smell like anything. We had a few more hiccups, but no more stalls. My LJ10 never used that gas, and never had any issues. Our problems sound similar to Myers, so I'm curious if he had filled up at that station too?

That station had a sign out front saying "Ethanol-Free" gas. Perhaps the other stations should put signs out saying "No water added"...
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:We all, except for Stevec and Dion, made it without incident.
I made it up just fine. Dion's LJ10, with 31x10.50's and all of about 80 psi compression, did not. We put his cooler in the back of my LJ10, swapped his 240# passenger (Bruce) with my 70# passenger (Hallie), and he made it, albeit in low range.
:moon:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ok, got my pictures uploaded...

The Lineup:

Parked at Silver City:

Silver City:

Fairview Cemetery (on the way to War Eagle Mountain):
War Eagle Mountain:

Yes, that’s the spare off my LJ10!

Monday trail riding:

All of my pictures are at:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... LJ%20Meet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I want to say a big thanks to Dion and his friend Bruce, for showing us around on the trails. These meets are so much better when we have a local contact showing us around on trails, and better still when that local contact has an LJ.

THANKS! :hail:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:
Smuz wrote:We all, except for Stevec and Dion, made it without incident.
I made it up just fine. Dion's LJ10, with 31x10.50's and all of about 80 psi compression, did not. We put his cooler in the back of my LJ10, swapped his 240# passenger (Bruce) with my 70# passenger (Hallie), and he made it, albeit in low range.
:moon:
Oops. I should have made clear that Steve didn't have an issue, he just stayed back to make sure that Dion made it ok. What can I say, my fingers were tired.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

stevec wrote:I want to say a big thanks to Dion and his friend Bruce, for showing us around on the trails. These meets are so much better when we have a local contact showing us around on trails, and better still when that local contact has an LJ.

THANKS! :hail:
AMEN :hail: - Also a great Oklahoma thank you to Dion and Bruce. Other than meeting new LJs and their humans, there is not much better than when the humans are helpful locals.

S/ The Myers Bride and him.
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

And I'll add my thanks to theirs. :cool:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:One more thing:

Someone had found a gas station just outside of Marsing with Ethanol-free gas, so we filled our tanks there. In hindsight, I think this was a mistake, at least Sunday night.
Huh. I put 5 gals of that gas in Wilson Sat morning and almost 40 gals in Xena's aux tank Sun afternoon. Haven't had a hiccup out of either of 'em about it. Mebbe I just got lucky...
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We both used the 89 octane - what did you fill up with?

I noticed they had 87, 89 and 90 (why only "1" octane difference between med. and high grade?) I always thought if you got the middle grade, the pump just took from both the low and high octane tanks, but I don't know for sure.

We filled up Saturday evening and had no problems; the only problems we had were after we filled up Sunday evening. Myers would have filled up before Saturday morning, so his issues may have been unrelated, but his symptoms sounded familiar.

I still have one of my 5-gal. cans full of that stuff; not sure what to do with it...
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I used the 90 octane in Wilson, and I honestly don't remember whether I used 89 or 90 in Xena.
Dion
Ubercameraman
Ubercameraman

Post by Dion »

I am, without a doubt, the worst photographer ever!
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l185/ ... %20camera/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dion
I may not have gone where I intended to go. But I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Dion wrote:I am, without a doubt, the worst photographer ever!
:))): :))): :))):
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

:))):

Love the lens cap!

(And you should have seen some of the pics I deleted off my camera!)