Getting ready for the meet...

July 21-23, 2012, in Silver City, Idaho!

Moderator: stevec

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Getting ready for the meet...

Post by Smuz »

Once again we're at the time where we're scratching our heads about getting ready for the meet. And this is the thread where you can document your trials and tribulations while getting your shi... er, stuff together.

I've decided that Wilson, my stock LJ10 is the one going this year. So what do I need to do to him?
Basically, not much.
1. Give him a serious bath. ***done***
2. Check/top off all his fluids. ***done***
3. Change the cracked oil tank. ***patched it***
4. remount his spare tire. ***done***
5. mount my tool box in the back. ***done***

Xena, the amazing purple pig, needs a little TLC.
1. Fix that pesky anti-freeze leak around the t'stat housing. ***done***
2. Bath. Badly needs a bath, inside and out.
3. Clean all them pesky leaves out of the bed left over from winter
4. Oil change. Damn, 8 quarts of Syn.
5. Install the rear tool box.

Trailer:
1. Get new tires and wheels.
2. Replace those stupid lights with LED's. ***Nope, was gonna cost me $60 as opposed to $9 to replace the bad one, replaced the bad one***

Now here's where it gets interesting...

If I'm just gonna tent:
1. Get all my camping supplies in Xena.

If I'm taking the fifth wheel: ***not happening as per Spooky Old Alice***
1. Finish building the trailer hitch. (doing that now) ***done***
2. Wire trailer hitch. ***done***
3. Remount spare tire to clear trailer hitch. ***done***
4. Mount and wire rear view cameras.
5. Fix that pesky roof leak in the bathroom.
6. Come up with the guts to pull a 12" trailer behind a 30' fifth wheel 1500 miles or so on it's maiden voyage. Brrr.

In between all this I gotta Fix a privacy fence that my Samurai assidently rubbed up against ***done***, do some mods on my Samurai ***done***, replace the panels under the front and rear doors of the house, and more blasted honey-dos than I can count.

I'll update this as things happen.

Y'all post your stuff, too. I don't wanna be the ownliest one looking stupid on here.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Getting ready for the meet...

Post by Smuz »

To be honest, with all my probs the last few meets, I'm really considering bringing my Samurai instead of an LJ.

Everybody's already seen my LJ's and I don't want probs this trip.

Whata y'all think?
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I vote for Wilson - I don't recall you ever having had a problem with him.

My "to-do" list is fairly short, depending on which rigs I bring. Truck, camper and trailer were pulled out of storage for Memorial Day weekend, and except for the truck batteries being dead, were just fine. I should probably wash them before we go, but we'll see (it's gonna be another busy summer!)

Rocky (98% probability of going): Need to replace tranny mounts and steering bushing. Hopefully will get those done tomorrow. He'll be there unless something happens between now and the meet.

Cheez Whiz (80% probability): Clean carb and test drive. Pretty sure it's just a clogged jet, but I've been spending time with the Samurai all spring, so I haven't looked into it yet. Worst case scenario is to pull a used carb off a spare engine, and rebuild it using one of the NOS Subaru carbs I have. (The Subaru 360 carb is a mirror image of the round bowl LJ10 carb, but Cheez Whiz has the rectangular bowl carb.) He needs a bath too, but that requires a sunny day in Seattle... :roll:

V: 2% chance of going. Ready to go, runs great, looks great, but it'll probably be warm and dry there, and the opens are more fun. I'll likely sell it later this year, and if someone wanted to buy it and pick it up at the meet I'd bring it, but I haven't listed it anywhere yet, so that is highly unlikely.

LJ81: 20% chance of going. Now retired from daily driver use, and set up for camping. Would bring it if one of the LJ10's couldn't go. Linda will likely be starting a new job the first of July, and there's a slim chance she won't be able to make the meet. If she cannot go, and one or more of the girls wants to stay home with her, I might just drive it instead of the truck and camper, but that is not likely.

Oh and Smuz - the 7.3 diesel takes 14 quarts of oil, so don't complain about needing 8!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Oh yes, we made reservations at River Haven RV Park, which is only 4-5 miles from Marsing. They have full hookups (Linda and Mom like this!), are right by the river, have a place for our trailers, and allow pets. Our reservations are for three nights (Sat. - Mon.); we should get there Saturday late morning or early afternoon, and will leave Tuesday morning. From what I can tell, we're about 5-10 miles north of Givens Hot Springs, so assuming everyone else is staying there, it isn't a big deal for us to meet you at your camp. According to mapquest, it is 48 miles from our camp to Silver City, so we'll need to leave with full gas tanks that morning.

Being close to town, we can pick up stuff for people, fill gas jugs, etc. if needed.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

One more thing: gas prices. It is my understanding that most of you are used to paying about $3.25/gallon these days. Not so on the west coast. Prices are starting to drop, but unleaded is running about $4.35 (down from $4.55 a few weeks ago), and diesel is right around $4.00/gallon. Idaho will be a little less, but is still over $3.75. Fill your tanks before you head west!!!
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Smuz - Wilson gets my vote also plus one more vote from the Bride. He deserves it.

Started packing trailer wheel bearings today but a friend brought some zucchini by the shop and we ended up visiting away most of the day. Will finish the repack Sunday. Will do annual grease job on distributor gear and check fluids on Miss Alice and probably trade-out or rotate tranny to T-case drive shaft (slight vibration). Will replace spare tire (original 1972) with a newer one, and if I lived closer would go help Smuz as I well as I could but I don’t so I won’t.

Steve, thanks for the info on your camping spot. Have not made room reservations but will now so I can get as close as possible.

Present plans are to leave home on the 14th which will give a week to see some things on the way to the meet. Probably need to be back home by the 7th or 8th of Auguse but that is a very long time for us to stay away. Anyway, plan to go back to southern Utah and also the Grand Canyon after meet. Getting old so this might be our last chance to give that part of the country a good look over.

Re: Bringing a full tank of gas: There are several factors included in blending gasoline other than what we see at the pump. These are governed mostly by the season (summer, winter, interseason) and location (altitude and local/state requirements). No problem with computerized fuel injected engines when traveling cross country and burning/replacing gas as you go, but can be a problem subjecting carburetored 1972 engines with gasoline blended for very hot Oklahoma July at 1000 ft. elevation to the unknown to be found at the meet location. No more gas than I burn in Miss Alice, figure paying a little extra after I get there may be worth it.

Getting excited we are…
Myers
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Yeah, after thinking about it, Wilson's at the top of the list. He does deserve a chance to strut his stuff.

So, the order of preference is:
1. Wilson
2. Mouser
3. Henry the Samurai

We'll see who makes the trip.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well I replaced the steering bushing on Rocky (that was MUCH easier than I thought it would be!), but the front end shimmy is still there. :-(

Doesn't feel as bad as it did, but it's there. I might put a set of NDT's on him to see if it rides better. I think the ball joints are all shot, as they feel pretty loose. I have a set of new tie rod ends, but not the draglink. I'll replace the tie rod ends and see if that does the trick, and if not try the NDT's. I normally wouldn't worry about it too much, but it looks like we'll see a lot of road time this year given our camping spot, so I want to make sure he is highway-worthy.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Miss Alice (lj20) started shimming prior to last years meet. First removed the last shims on the kingpins which helped but it took new NDT on front to stop it. Know what it needs is a complete kingpin bearings and seals job on front, have the parts, but have not felt like doing it. Last rebuild was prior to Waiparous, Canada meet which is several thousand miles ago.
"LJsRME"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Have room reservations at a Sleep Inn in Nampa about 29 miles from Givens Hot Springs. Check in on Friday the 20th and out on Wed the 25. As the 24 is a maybe might give that night up after visiting with the group.

A little distant but not as far as at the Waiparous Meet in Alberta AND all paved so doable for us. As part of the miles are on Interstate will need to make arrangements to leave Miss Alice with someone at camp.

Myers
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, got the trailer hitch finished and mounted on the fifth wheel. After looking at the calendar and thinking about it, I think I'm just gonna bring Wilson and camp w/ a tent. Hell, it's only 3 days, how sore can I get?

So. Right now I'm bead sealing Henry's tires so I can get 'em back on and use the tires that's now on Henry on Wilson for the trip. Breaking the inner bead on a set of Q78's (35x10.50x15) Super Swamper TSL's w/ a manual tire machine is just a treat, lemme tell you!

When I get the tires swapped, then I'm gonna be full on getting ready for the meet.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, the trailer hitch on the fifth wheel is done and looks good.
The wiring turned out to be pretty easy. All of the wires existed behind the left taillight. I just needed to snake a wire bundle down from behind the taillight to the elect. compartment in the rear where the main cable is stored. That's done and connected to the main wiring and works good. I'm now waiting on a fuse block to get here. I'm gonna fuse the secondary trailer wiring at 10 amps so that a prob w/ the secondary trailer won't take out the main trailer lights. So I'm calling that done.

Now I'm seriously considering bringing my 5th wheel w/ Wilson on the trailer behind. I'd leave a day or so early so, if I have probs, I'd have time to recover. I'll think on it. The biggest obstacle is that I don't have a license plate for my little trailer. I've either got to borrow one or put Henry's plate on it. I'll come up with sumpin.

Got the tires swapped offa Henry, the tool box out, and Wilson in the shop, so I'm ready to get him ready. Tomorrow I'm full on getting ready for the meet.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, Wilson's had his bath. I looked at his tires and I think they'll be fine for the meet, they look better than I remembered.
I think I'll just try to patch the oil tank with silicone for the trip since it's small and on a top corner. It cracked after the vent stopped up and imploded the tank a bit. If that don't work I'll change it.

The big decision of whether or not to take the fifth wheel is still pending.

Phil. How long is your rig w/ the LJ on behind? Mine's gonna be about 63'. Do you have any trouble w/ campground room? Gas stations? Etc.
Talk to me sunshine.

Steve. Have you determined where you're staying yet? I guess this thing revolves around you and I'd like to be close, honey.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Smuz wrote:Now I'm seriously considering bringing my 5th wheel w/ Wilson on the trailer behind. I'd leave a day or so early so, if I have probs, I'd have time to recover. I'll think on it. The biggest obstacle is that I don't have a license plate for my little trailer. I've either got to borrow one or put Henry's plate on it. I'll come up with sumpin.
Betting Mrs. Alice and your V10 will do just fine with them two trailers and you. Looks like fuel will be a little less also ($3.11 in OKC yesterday).

Oklahoma does not require license plate on certain small trailers. The tag agent gave me a copy of a letter stating such in case I needed it when in another state. So far nobody around has asked about not having a tag on the white trailer.
"LJsRME"
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

Smuz wrote:Phil. How long is your rig w/ the LJ on behind? Mine's gonna be about 63'. Do you have any trouble w/ campground room? Gas stations? Etc.
Talk to me sunshine.
Mine being just a short bed club cab truck with a 31' 5th wheel and a 15 ' tag trailer I measure out at 61'. No big troubles at camp grounds. Just remember that that rig won't back up so you must plan ahead. I fuel up at truck stops so the lenth is not a problem. The rear camera is a definat must have.
Busy working on making a new toy hawler chassy arrived late so I am busting my b*t to git the trailer ready, if I dont gake I will pull the 2 units again. I figure I have between 20 and 30 thousand miles pulling the double so what is a few more
Think we will stop in Yellowstone on the way up also probibilly Grand Teton.See you in Id..
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, damn. Alice just informed me (AFTER I went to all that work) that she does NOT want to take the fifth wheel with Wilson on a trailer behind. She's afraid of a rig like that and would rather camp in a tent.

Ooookaay.

On a better note; I got Wilson's oil tank patched and curing, he's had his bath, and his spare tire is mounted. He'll be finished by Sat.

Next week is Xena's turn. :evil:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Wilson's done and ready.

Xena's anti-freeze leak is fixed. And what a fun time THAT was in 100*+ heat. I'd REALLY prefer not to do that again in any temp.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Here it is July 1 and we are planning to leave for the meet on the 14th and although the trailer is ready I have not started getting Miss Alice ready. Made a mistake of starting a complete brake job on Miss Goodbody which included removing the front axle assembly for a knuckle rebuild. Finished the knuckles yesterday now wondering whether to finish or stop that task and get started on Miss Alice. Being fat while having a string of 3 digit daytime temps with overnight lows close to 80 degrees has not helped.

If needed can bring Miss Alice as is but am sure that will hurt her feelings.

Please note that my Miss Alice and SMUZ'S Mrs. Alice are not the same. SMUZ and I are both married to our respective Alice's but mine is a LJ20 and his does a pretty good job of the hard job of keeping SMUZ in line.

Myers

P.S. The vibration I was troubled with while going/returning from last years meet in Silverton, CO. ended up being trailer tire(s) with slipped belt(s). Discovered/fixed this in Flagstaff last September while hauling Miss Goodbody from Phoenix.
P.P.S. Will pack the camera first this year.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:Steve. Have you determined where you're staying yet? I guess this thing revolves around you and I'd like to be close, honey.
Well, aren't you sweet.... :wink:

We have two sites reserved at River Haven RV Park, 6920 Old Bruneau Highway, Marsing, ID. 83639 208-896-4268. One site for us and one for Pat & Stephen. We'll arrive Saturday, probably late morning or early afternoon. Not real big, but they have space for our trailers, and a grassy field by the river.

Linda starts a new job on the 9th, but she will be with us, so we should have Rocky and Cheez Whiz. Still need to clean the carb on Cheez Whiz and try to fix the steering issue on Rocky, but we'll be there regardless.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Ok, I'll call 'em later this week and get a rez. That's pretty close to Nampa where Meyers are staying.

Thank ya darlin'.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, damn. I just tried to check/inflate the tires on the amazing purple pig. They take 70#. Fronts were easy.

Then I got to the rear duals... The valve stem extensions were packed with iron hard mud and impossible to get any pressure thru. Drat! I can, with great difficulty, get the extensions off of the outer tires but the inners are impossible w/o taking the outer tire off. I don't wanna do that.

I been admiring a rig my buddy has on his dually for awhile now. It's a guage that connects to both tires and equalizes the pressure while protecting from blow outs flattening both tires and allowing you to see the pressure at a glance. Sweet. So's I ordered me one. $132.

I doubt that I'll get it on before the meet, so I'll prolly just check the pressure in the rear tires the old school way, ie: I'll hit 'em with a hammer and see if it bounces.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, I know how ever body likes pics, so here's few of the fifth wheel trailer hitch...

Finished trailer hitch:

Overkill on the brackets:

Behind the left rear taillight:

Wire pulled into the elect compartment:

Fuse box mounted in the elect compt:

Pigtail as it will be used:
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

And Wilson...

In the shop after his bath:

The patch on the oil tank:
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

:hail: Well Hello WILSON!!!..... :hail: good to see you again. Do you think you can help OLD SMUZ find Idaho. BTW.....that is kinda neat how OLD SMUZ did the hitch, wiring and and patch
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Pot...kettle...
:Rude: