Kelowna

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Kelowna

Post by Rick Friesen »

I emailed Al from the Canadian 4WD Magazine a while ago to see if he could help us out with a trail guide or even with info on trails in the Kelowna area since he lives there. This is what he wrote back, too bad it doesn't work out for him. I'll email him back and let him know what we're doing.

Thats to bad that I won't be here - I'll be in Red Deer for the Off-road Expo otherwise I would take you for a trip behind Kelowna. Any chance it can be bumped to the following weekend - then I can personally put something together for you and take shots of all your rigs. If not I'll see what I can do for you to find someone as a guide.

Albert V
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
Rich-lj
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rich-lj »

This might sound like a dumb question, but what is the best clothing to wear when you guys go off roading over there? Here we run the risk of getting ripped to shreads by brambles and stung a bit by nettles, hardly life threatening I know, but jeans and firm boots are my choice over shorts and trainers. I read on bc4x4 that ticks can be a problem, not liking the idea of one of those little blood suckers eating me. Also, whats the chances of coming face to face with a snake, I have to admit I'm terrified of them :roll:

See, we don't get any of this kind of stuff over here, my dog picked up a tick a few years back and i sometimes find the odd slow worm in my garden haha :))):
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

There's much bigger concerns than ticks and snakes :))): It's the beginning of the elk bugling season, don't bend over in the bush. Oh this is going to be fun. Bring some warm clothes and jackets, quite high elevation. Rain gear is a good idea.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

I'll be nice... for now! Ticks are more of a spring thing. We never really check for them once July hits. It is later in the season, so bugs should be less of a concern, although there will be the rogue mosquitoes and wasps. Probably best to bring some bug spray, and be able to cover your arms and legs.

Anything out Princeton way should have less snakes than the rest of the Okanagan, but you may see one. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Clothing should be able to range from 30*C and sunny, to freezing and snowing.
Rick Friesen wrote:I emailed Al from the Canadian 4WD Magazine a while ago to see if he could help us out with a trail guide or even with info on trails in the Kelowna area since he lives there. This is what he wrote back, too bad it doesn't work out for him. I'll email him back and let him know what we're doing.
That would be really cool. For myself I could change weekends quite easy as a number of things have come up on our weekend that I'm not super keen on missing. If don't want to wait, but we still want to do Kelowna with a trail guide provided by him, I'd be up to that too as I love learning new areas.

Grant
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Rich, the following weekend you have a wedding to attend? Maybe you could still make it one of the days and we could have a guided tour by a local right near Kelowna. You wouldn't have to get lost trying to find Princeton. :D

Thoughts everyone? I think it would be cool to have Canadian 4WD magazine there taking pictures.
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

Ruby wrote:Thoughts everyone? I think it would be cool to have Canadian 4WD magazine there taking pictures.
Pictures!?! I don't think I have time to remove the rust from my truck...
Rich-lj
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rich-lj »

Ruby wrote:Rich, the following weekend you have a wedding to attend? Maybe you could still make it one of the days and we could have a guided tour by a local right near Kelowna. You wouldn't have to get lost trying to find Princeton. :D

Thoughts everyone? I think it would be cool to have Canadian 4WD magazine there taking pictures.

The wedding is on the 19th which is the Saturday, I could probably make the Sunday although I may have a sore head :beer: But local does sound better, either way I'm fairly easy.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Ok, if you guys want to change your minds I'll have to let Al know right away. He emailed me back and let me know that he's not interested in covering a trip on the whipsaw again but I think he would still do a local trip the following Sunday.

I think most of us would like the chance to have our rig in a magazine no matter how rusty it is!
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I'm game for the weekend of Sept 19-20.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Ok I've emailed Al back and told him that Sunday the 20th would work for us if he can still do it. So I really hope that works for everyone. I'll let you all know as soon as he gets back to me.

It works way better for me on the 20th as I wont have to miss a wedding then.
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

Ok, well do we want to just do the one day or are we talking two? I'm keen for both but don't know if we can get Al for both.

Grant
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I'd like to do a camp over somewhere. :whiskey: If we still plan on both days I'm sure we could come up with something to do Saturday then meet up with Al for Sunday. If he gives us the general area maybe we can scout around a bit first.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Looks like Sunday the 20th is the plan now. I'd possibly be up for something on Saturday but I'd be good with just the one day too. We could always plan a bigger trip early next summer and keep this one a little shorter.

Al's response:

Sure Rick, I can still swing that. I think a run up into the back roads behind my house, and maybe a trip up to the Hilltin sled cabin would be two good runs not to hard but very nice country. Maybe we can pack a couple BBQ's to the cabin and do a group lunch up there. I can arrange for the food if everyone just wants to chip in a few bucks to cover the costs. If we still have some time after the cabin we can always pop up to the top of the mountain or circle back out to the greystokes dam.
Al V
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

Rick, make sure that Al understands that some of our rigs will be trailered and not all road worthy. My dad will either be in Suzy, our hardtop, or Rocky, his lj rock buggy; neither of which are road legal.

Other than that this is sweet as I now get to go wheeling both weekends!! Sounds like my buddies with Toyotas still want to go on the previous weekend to whipsaw. If anybody is interested in coming still, feel free. Only thing is we are currently planning a Friday-Saturday instead of a Saturday-Sunday as that works better for all currently involved.

Grant
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

I've emailed Al to let him know about the trailered rigs and to see if he's interested in joining you guys on Saturday too.

Is anyone interested in his group BBQ offer for lunch on Sunday? I need to let him know fairly soon I'd think.

Also, if people could reconfirm if they are coming or not so we can get an approximate number to Al, that'd be great.

Thanks

Rick
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Rick Friesen wrote:Also, if people could reconfirm if they are coming or not so we can get an approximate number to Al, that'd be great.
I have to keep myself on the maybe list, though I really hope I can make it. I feel like I haven't been out enough this year. :-( I would most likely be in a stock LJ81 with P215 tires.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Ok, so Al is good with wheeling on Saturday and camping a little ways into the bush and then doing a different trail on Sunday. Al has asked that we keep the locations of everything within the group going wheeling, I'm assuming so we don't have a bunch of tag alongs.

Whoever is coming can PM me and I'll forward more details back to you.

Rick
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

I'm in for me, my wife, my dad, and my mom. The girls are maybes, but either we will pick up passengers, or cover the extra for food. I'll be in my lj81 and my dad will be in something :|.
Rich-lj
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rich-lj »

Yup, I'm up for Sunday. If its around Kelowna then it'll make it easier for me to meet up with you guys. Shame I can't make the Saturday too though. Maybe I should pack my lj into my suitcase and bring it with me :))):
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

I will be going over on Saturday early afternoon. Can't leave here until about 1:30.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

So here's who we have so far it seems:

Ruby (Aaron) with LJ80V
Rick with LJ81
Tyrel is a probably with his LJ81
Grant and his Dad with an LJ81 and something LJish
Pidder (Norm) with his Samurai
Tattoo (Colin) hmm, not sure what Colin has lol
Woodchopper is going to try and come with his LJ81 but doesn't know yet for sure.
Steve is a maybe also.
And of course Rich will be joining us on Sunday

I hope I didn't forget anyone.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

It's just about an LJ 81 meet!!! I think Colin said he had an LJ 81 as well.
grantwt
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by grantwt »

Ruby wrote:It's just about an LJ 81 meet!!! I think Colin said he had an LJ 81 as well.
If only you would get to work on yours!! :poke: Don't worry, I'm just kidding. I never get time to work on these things either.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

grantwt wrote:
Ruby wrote:It's just about an LJ 81 meet!!! I think Colin said he had an LJ 81 as well.
If only you would get to work on yours!! :poke: Don't worry, I'm just kidding. I never get time to work on these things either.

I know, one day though. Maybe I should just go buy that other one, have a stashed one. :wink:
Rich-lj
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rich-lj »

And then sell your current one to me when I move over there :D

Will be good to see some 81's as I've never seen one over here!