Date, location

Our 4th annual meet, July 5-6, 2008, in Canada, eh?

Moderator: stevec

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Re: Date, location

Post by Jimny »

You know when I was younger it was GM, GM, GM and nothing else, I would always give people that drove anything else hell, but nowadays GM has gone south and now Ford, Dodge and Toyota has surpassed them on trucks.

Really sad they say that an LJ with a one axle trailer is too much for your 1/2 ton truck! Real sad.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Suzy wrote:Well the way work is going it looks like the only way I might make it is to fly in too, though I could probably get into somewhere a little closer than Calgary.

John
There's a "Ghost Airstrip Staging Area", don't know if the airstrip is still there though. Is your plane big enough to hold an LJ?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

Jimny wrote:You know when I was younger it was GM, GM, GM and nothing else, I would always give people that drove anything else hell, but nowadays GM has gone south and now Ford, Dodge and Toyota has surpassed them on trucks.

Really sad they say that an LJ with a one axle trailer is too much for your 1/2 ton truck! Real sad.
Same here, I worked as a forester for about 10 years and it was Chev/GM first Ford second and Dodge only if you had to. The other smaller trucks never.

But my last Chev was a 98HD 3/4T 4x4 and it died with just over 384000km, but that was on its second transmission and third transfer case. I think that after 98 Chev stoped using the 350 engine and went with a lighter frame and different body for the trucks. I wouldn't touch a new Chev truck now, they are designed for the SUV market, not the truck market.

I have a new 3/4T Ford SD 4x4 now, 6 speed manual trany. Should have no problems towing my suzuki.

But 10 years ago if you told me I would be driving a Ford I would of told you you were nuts, and now I still have $7000 worth of GM Visa points that I'll never use.

Got to get me a trailer for my suzuki
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Oh Suzy you got to fly in! I would love a plane ride around up there for an hour, I'll pay for the fuel!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I don't see where I posted directions, but for those who haven't figured out the general area, it is between Calgary and Banff.

From Banff, take Hwy 1 east towards Calgary. In Canmore, you can take Hwy 1A, or stay on Hwy 1. Hwy 1 is probably faster, but 1A may be more scenic. If you stay on Hwy 1, you'll want to look for the Hwy 40 exit towards Kananaskis. Take 40 north to Kananaskis, then turn right on Hwy 1A. About 8-10 miles (13-16km) past Ghost Lake, look for Forestry Trunk Road 40 on the left. This is the road into Waiparous. Ghost Lake doesn't look like much of a town, so a better reference point may be that the turnoff is a couple of miles after you cross a bridge over the lake. Looks like you'll follow this road for at least 12 miles, through Waiparous (again, not much of a town, if anything!) and start looking for signs to the meet.

If coming from the east, find the town of Cochrane, west of Calgary on 1A. The turnoff onto Forestry Trunk Road 40 is about 7-8 miles (11-13km) west of Cochrane on Hwy 1A.

I will try to post signs for the 40 on Hwy 1A in both directions, if it is not signed well. After that, look for signs to "LJ MEET"; I printed about 8, on 11x17" paper, so hopefully Myers can read them! (if not, I'm sure Winnie will!) If you see an information kiosk (looks like there are a few) I will try to post info there.

We'll be staying (camping) in Banff through Thursday night, heading down Friday morning.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

8.5 X 11 but how big are the fonts? Yesterday me and eye doc. in Tulsa decided to wait until after Canada trip for removing cataracts from me and adding Cadillac’s for him.

Myers

Later edit:

See there, that is the problem the world is facing. You are in Washington and you write 11" X 17" and by the time it got to Oklahoma I read 8.5" X 11". My guess is this was due to the energy crunch. If the airlines can make your bags smaller why would we expect less from the email folks?

Our plan is to leave home this Thursday (26th). Hope that gives us time to hunt Canada, Calgary, Cochrane, and Steve's shrunken signs with tiny fonts in that order. If the GMC fails again while on the road, we will probably relocate to that spot.
"LJsRME"
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Well due to my family wanting me to be with them on the 4th I will not be going to the meet, we are having a family get-together in remembrance of my mom which passed away two months ago. Luckily I didn't buy my plane tickets, I was waiting till I got back from this 10 day job that payed very well to pay for them, so now that I have the money...

Well anyway... have fun everyone, there were a lot of you from Canada that I was looking forward to meeting I hope we do another one soon that will be up there.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Jimny wrote:Oh Suzy you got to fly in! I would love a plane ride around up there for an hour, I'll pay for the fuel!
Sure Jimny, no problem, no cost just good fun.
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

stevec wrote:
Suzy wrote:Well the way work is going it looks like the only way I might make it is to fly in too, though I could probably get into somewhere a little closer than Calgary.

John
There's a "Ghost Airstrip Staging Area", don't know if the airstrip is still there though. Is your plane big enough to hold an LJ?
One of them could probably fit 4-6 LJ's but the door is too small !
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Fun is right John, I love planes, I've been looking at a one seater experimental plane, never been put together. I might just have to get it, even if I don't fly it, I just want it. :cool:
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Jimny wrote:Fun is right John, I love planes, I've been looking at a one seater experimental plane, never been put together. I might just have to get it, even if I don't fly it, I just want it. :cool:
It would be cool to put an lj engine in there!
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We're heading out Friday evening (June 27th), and crossing into Canada Saturday morning. Will be tooling around Banff, Lake Louise, and up to Jasper next week, and will get to Waiparous Thursday evening or Friday morning.

Larry, the signs won't be up until Friday; don't look for them any sooner.

Jimny, looks like you're just gonna have to wait for the pics...

(again.)
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

frankenstein wrote:
Jimny wrote:Fun is right John, I love planes, I've been looking at a one seater experimental plane, never been put together. I might just have to get it, even if I don't fly it, I just want it. :cool:

Way to heavy.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Suzy wrote:
frankenstein wrote:

Way to heavy.
The lj10 engine?
I hate rust...

Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Yup Frankie, the power to weight ratio would suck big time.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Suzy wrote:Yup Frankie, the power to weight ratio would suck big time.
That would apply to almost every suzuki :ohno:
I hate rust...

woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

I'll be loaded up and hauling early early Sat morning, 4 hour drive, and I hope to get there just after breakfast :D