Who is going to the 2008 meet?

Our 4th annual meet, July 5-6, 2008, in Canada, eh?

Moderator: stevec

Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

russmehl wrote:
Ruby wrote:Just don't let them go hiking. :wink:
Why would these boys go wandering off
Oh he didn't wander off, I'm sure all who were there would agree he was within the bounds of the campsite.

John
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

And that was more climbing than hiking.

No, he wasn't far from camp, just up that hillside. I think he was trying to get away from my girls, they were really pestering him!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

yep, teach him to blame it on the girls, that will get him a long ways in life :wink:
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Who's bringing what rigs? This time I want to drive an LJ so it will likely be my tintop.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Count us in as two with one LJ20 - convertable or the (new) van. Prefer the convertable if weather fits. Really looking forward to it as I don't have to build the trailer this year.

My understanding is that the exact location is not yet determined but we could sure use some info on where the meet is located, any and all info on this would be appreciated. We don't camp and need to make reservations for room. Would be best if close enough that we could drive the LJ between room and where others are camping.

Used the internet to make reservations last year for meet at Cooke City, Mt. Room was ok and close to the camping area where the others were but kind of wished I had first looked up the Montana meaning of "rustic".
"LJsRME"
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Count me in, with 2 LJ's and I don't know if I will be bringing someone with me or not.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

Hey Myers have you thought of renting an RV? Could be right at the campsite with a real bed and a flush toilet and all that. Just a thought, I know they cost a fair bit more than a hotel but it would let you be right at camp no matter where we go.
As for rigs I know the ToyZuki will be there and Rick might decide to bring his tin top as well.
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Would certainly consider renting a RV if I could rent it up in that area, use it for the few days and be done with it. Although I did not have such good luck last year with the new GMC pickup, I really do not want to drive a rental that far. I will check on what is available up there. That may be the way to go. Thanks for the boost out of the box.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Larry,

I posted in the other section:

http://lj10.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3094&start=25

To recap, Cochrane is the closest town with motels, but it is about 20 miles from where we'll likely be camping. I don't know if you'll want to drive the LJ that far.

The RV rental may be a good idea... With Banff and Jasper NP's right there, I'm sure there are places where you could rent an RV in Calgary. I don't know if it would be a problem with U.S. citizens renting RV's in Canada, but I wouldn't think it would be too much hassle. The bigger issue would probably be cost - the motels would likely be cheaper!
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Did some preliminary checking on renting a RV for the time we are at the meet. One site I looked at had big RVs on down to pickup with camper (which would fit our needs quite well. May be possible to pick it up and return at Calgary. If we can do this it will be best for several reasons. The big barrier may be in renting for 2-3 days instead of a minimum of 1 week. Time should permit getting more detailed info tomorrow.
Thanks folks
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The one place I looked at started at about $140 per day during the meet (peak season). I don't know what motels in that area cost, or if you could find an RV for much less.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Concerns came true on renting camper. Daily rates are ok, $125/150. Barrier is that they have a 1 week min. Not good averaged over 3 or 4 days.
Steve, you said Cochrane was about 20 mile from where you folks will be camping. Question: What direction from Cochrane??? We had a cabin 12 miles one way at Disney and 20 miles would be ok for Canada but may find private owned cabin, ect. closer if I know what direction from Cochrane to look.
Thanks for the info.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The meet is northwest of Cochrane. Basically, drive about 7 miles west of Cochrane on Hwy 1A (That's 1A, not TransCanada Hwy 1!), then turn right on Forest Trunk Road 40. Ghost Lake is a few miles closer, you'd go a few miles east on 1A to catch the 40, but I know know if there is much there. There's also Waiparous itself, right on the 40, but again, I don't think there is much there. Cochrane is probably your best bet I think.

Hwy 1A runs north of Hwy 1. Hwy 1 is the Trans Canada Hwy, so the trucks should stick to that, and there probably won't be a whole lot of traffic on 1A, but I am just guessing. If you check into motels or cabins up there, they should be able to tell you how fast traffic moves up there.
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

I'm going to have to dig around in my old maps.

I did a little forestry work for Spray Lakes Sawmill (SLS) a few years back 2002 if I recall.

Good country back there, I stayed in Cochrane
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Welp, as of now, count me out. Dammit.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Smuz wrote:Welp, as of now, count me out. Dammit.
That's too bad Smuz, hopefully things change.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Sumz, your post just put a damper on my getting up early to what appeared to be perfect morning. Hope time changes the situation so you can be there.
Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Smuz wrote:Welp, as of now, count me out. Dammit.
WTF? I remember you being all excited about this when I first mentioned it at the 2006 meet... You even skipped the meet last year to make this one. I sure hope you can change your mind! I'll move you to the "maybe" list just in case you do.

That drops us down to 13 confirmed rigs, with 12 more on the "maybe" list.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

OK, I'll go.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Ya Smuz, thats what retirement is all about, eh what ?
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Thanks Smuz. That made me feel better already.
"LJsRME"
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Who is going to the 2008 meet?

Post by woodchopper »

Ok I think I'm going to hold off any work to my zuki and get a trailer set up to haul it on.

planning on taking camping gear and my truck with the zuki on the trailer, that way I can haul more parts home when I'm done :)
redsnodog
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by redsnodog »

I am really looking forward to this meet,we have more work to do on "Rudy"[freshen up motor ,distributor work[thanks Jimny]and various other details.We WILL make it ,though,want to meet you all so you can teach me " proper offroading techniques" as I am fairly new to this .Glad to hear you are coming Smuz!!.Where exactly are we camping Steve ? ,even the wife is getting excited!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

redsnodog wrote:Where exactly are we camping Steve ?
There are a number of dispersed camping areas around there. I am planning to get there early, stake out a spot, and then put up signs so everyone can find us. I will post up directions from Banff and Calgary if I haven't already; these directions will get you to the Waiparous area, to where the signs will be. If there is a bulletin board there, I will put up a sign there as well.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Us non-campers have room reserved in Cochrane. Current plan is we are to pick up Jimny at Calgary airport so with your directions and his presence, we should be able to find you folks if Steve puts up larger signs than he did at Cooke City.
"LJsRME"