Date, location

Our 4th annual meet, July 5-6, 2008, in Canada, eh?

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Date, location

Post by stevec »

As of right now, we're looking at either the Waiparous or McLean Creek areas, between Calgary and Banff, Alberta. They're fairly central to most of the Canadians who have expressed an interest, as well as a lot of us coming up from the U.S. I've heard rumors that most of Waiparous was closed down last fall, still waiting to hear if this is true, and if so, what trails are left. Both places look to have some mild 4WD trails, as well as some harder stuff if you're so inclined, and great scenery. They are also both close to what is in my opinion one of the most beautiful areas I've ever been to, so we're planning to make it part of a two week vacation. My mom and stepdad have already asked to join us, and are looking for an LJ20 so they can have fun at the meet.

Canada Day will be a Monday next year, and there's a big Suzuki event called SuziCan that weekend, so I was thinking about having it the following weekend (July 6-7), or mid-week. I know some people from the U.S. have plans for July 4th (a Thursday next year), but others like to use the day off as part of their vacation. What do you all prefer? Since we'll be up there for a couple of weeks, it won't make a difference to me.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Oh man I can't wait!!!!!

6-7 sounds good to me. I'll have to figure out how many hours it will take me to get up there, I would like to spend the 4th with my family then head up the next morning.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

6-7th should work for me, good as anything from what I can tell right now. I have to be out of my place in Vancouver at the end of June so I might not have a home to live in anyway, or I could be in the middle of unpacking and need a good break. Any way you look at it I wouldn't be a good Canadian if I missed a Canadian meet. That and I can't risk one of you south of the border guys spotting an LJ sitting behind a fence and trying to take it home with you.
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
thesarg
The Procrastinator
The Procrastinator

Post by thesarg »

2000 miles but im definatly down for it
If you cant afford it, fab it!
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Those dates should work. :cool:
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
nick
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nick »

Those dates should be good for me too.

Now I just have to get that cruiser sold and an LJ in the driveway!
Still waiting for the right zuk to come along.

1981 LJ80 - Sold :(
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Looks like we should plan on July 6-7, 2008 then. Now to figure out where we can go... Has anyone heard much about Waiparous or McLean Creek areas? I heard speculation that much of Waiparous has been closed, and that there's a push to close McLean Creek as well. If anyone has/gets any info on these areas, or any other area close to where we will be, please let me know!
nick
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nick »

I guess we will just have to make a trip up there to see.

I will also post on the cruiser board.
Lots of folks in Calgary on there.
They will know whats going on.

Cheers,
N.

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well, I forgot that next year is a leap year, so everything got pushed up a day. :oops: I've changed the dates to July 5-6, a Saturday and Sunday. This also means that the fourth of July holiday will be a Friday, for those planning their vacations.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

In the next couple of months, I'm still hoping to check out some of the potential areas for next years meet. I'm really pumped that so many people want to come! It should be great!
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Thanks Rick! :cool:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Found this map of Waiparous, in case it helps:

http://www.waiparous.com/images/extras/waiparousmap.jpg

Got a couple of responses from people on the Waiparous.com 4x4 forum, and it sounds like it'll work:
Waiparous isn't closed. Most of its trails are which those of us with heavily modified vehicles used to find fun. Its absolutely breathtaking scenery and it will still take you 2 full days of wheeling to see it all of what is left.

Mclean creek has not been altered yet. I see things changing in the future perhaps as soon as next spring, but I can't imagine the area being closed off completely. Doing so would displace thousands of us and promote illegal wheeling.

Depending on the length of your stay, I think your group would enjoy waiparous. Have your recon team stay in touch with us as I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would love to show your guys around, myself included.
The first part is in response to me asking if the area had been closed, and if there were suitable trails for stock rigs. Sounds like the areas that were closed are some of the harder trails, but there are plenty of trails left.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Here's the official trail map of the area:

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/s ... emaps.aspx

Looks like there are still quite a few 4x4 trails open. :D
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Rick Friesen wrote:In the next couple of months, I'm still hoping to check out some of the potential areas for next years meet. I'm really pumped that so many people want to come! It should be great!
Rick,

Did you ever get up there to do some exploring?
Sammy Oreye
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

2008 LJ meet

Post by Sammy Oreye »

[b]Sure wish I could come and join you guys. Lived for many years in Lethbridge Alberta, just south of where you are meeting up, and there is some superb Offroading Country around and about.
Jealous good wishes from England,
Steve
Club ZULU
clubzulu@fsmail.net
Zuks Rule![/b]
LJ80, 1/2 leather interior, custom parts. I have NOS parts LJ80 and others, and Members in Club ZULU who also hold LJ bits. Also SJ410 Class 2 Trialer - Vitara on GV 225 x 16 M/T's. SJ413 pickup cut into Trailer. ZUKS Rule!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: 2008 LJ meet

Post by stevec »

Sammy Oreye wrote:Sure wish I could come and join you guys. Lived for many years in Lethbridge Alberta, just south of where you are meeting up, and there is some superb Offroading Country around and about.
Jealous good wishes from England,
Steve
Club ZULU
clubzulu@fsmail.net
Zuks Rule!
With the U.S. dollar being in the toilet, you could probably get a plane ticket pretty cheap! Just fly somewhere close to the border, then drive up. :D
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

I don't think Rick made it out there yet, he's been a little busy getting into his new property. It sounds like the area should work great for what we want to do though. It should be a fun one.
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Glen Friesen wrote:I don't think Rick made it out there yet, he's been a little busy getting into his new property. It sounds like the area should work great for what we want to do though. It should be a fun one.
Didn't hear about his new property, is that where next years meet is going to be ?

John
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Haha, very funny John. It's only five acres, not quite enough for an LJ meet. However, I'm only a very short drive (two country blocks) away from crown land. And I'll have my own 16' x 30' shop with a hoist and heated floors to work in now.
At least I'll have lots of room to park LJ's when I find them.

Like Glen said Steve, I've just been way too busy to get up there to check out the trails. It's too bad, I was really hoping to get out and do some fall wheeling.
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
nick
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nick »

I am just as guilty. I have been Helping rick and moving in as well.

The snow is going to fly soon. We either go this weekend, or get some firewood. I am game for going. I just don't have the money to heat will electricity. Rick, if we can raise $500 maybe we can go? :D

Also, having that shop really makes me want an LJ now.
Oh well, at least I have my beater 50cc honda scooter still. Going to be a great bush bike. :D :D

nick
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nick »

Awww, no takers.... :wink:

Rick and I ended up doing 2.5 cords or so.
Not bad for this late in the year.

I wonder if it's to late to scout it?

Cheers,
N.

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Probably depends on the snow. I'm not very familiar with that area, but I would assume that they close the access roads in the winter, as opposed to plowing it. I don't know how much snow they have up there though, we don't have much here yet.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

OK, someone help keep this old one straight. As we don't camp, need some help so I can make room reservations.

Dates: July 5 & 6 (If this in not right please advise)
Location: Can someone provide name of town, village or someplace with lodging near were the meet will be (Waiparous or McLean Creek Areas??) With that info I should be able to find something on Google Earth or someplace like that.

Why don't we camp??? Last time (1975) almost got us a divorce. If you want to ask, she will be glad to explain it when you meet her in Canada.

Anyway, I need to reserve a room close enough to drive the LJ20 to where the meet is going to be. Any help would be appreciated.
"LJsRME"
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Without knowing exactly where the meet is I would say Canmore is the closest town. I may be corrected though by someone that knows more.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81