Summer 2007 Meet - Dates and Location

The 3rd Annual LJ Meet, in MT/WY, just East of Yellowstone Nat'l Park!

Moderator: stevec

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

*Bump*

Let's get a date set!?????
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I thought we had confirmed this. I've been telling everyone it will be June 30 - July 1. Most people preferred this date, so let's just go with it.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Since there are no objections, the date will be June 30 - July 1, 2007. I'll probably show up Thursday evening or Friday; not sure yet. I plan to go to Yellowstone, hopefully the week before the meet, but with all the school closure days, we may push Yellowstone to the week following the meet.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Ok COOL! That's what I thought but wanted to make sure! I have a couple people wanting to know the date for sure.
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

It’s time to do some planning. Do we have grids for the campground?

Planning our trip, we found that the Hwy 212/Beartooth pass route may not be such a great idea for our 4.0 liter Cherokee towing a trailer. The pass tops out at 10,974 ft with a 12-mile section climbing from about 5,200 ft to 8,000 ft. We’ll probably head down HWY 89 and through Yellowstone. I haven’t really researched the sites yet (gonna be Jr’s job), but we’ll probably spend a day or two wandering around the park before heading over to the Cooke City area.

Montana Topographical Maps
http://maps2.nris.mt.gov/scripts/esrima ... ap&Cmd=Map
Click the search button to search by grid, location, etc.

Yellowstone
http://www.nps.gov/yell

Beartooth pass
http://www.yellowstoneparknet.com/roads ... h_pass.php

Museum of the rockies
www.museumoftherockes.com
Largest collection of dinosaur fossils from the US. Located South of the MSU campus in Livingston (HWY 89 & I-90)
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

Gee dad, you really did your homework!

I mean, MY homework....
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

deimos wrote:we found that the Hwy 212/Beartooth pass route may not be such a great idea for our 4.0 liter Cherokee towing a trailer. The pass tops out at 10,974 ft with a 12-mile section climbing from about 5,200 ft to 8,000 ft.
hehe.....dad's planning on running that pass in the SuperDuty -- towing a 31' 5th wheel AND a trailer with one or two LJs on it :))):
A legend in my own mind.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

so i was hittin' Google Earth lookin at aireals (sp?) of that pass (actually, there's 69 miles worth of road...) and HO-LEE....... yeah, that's gonna be a trip!

according to a travel guide, the 69 miles of the "Beartooth Highway" takes THREE HOURS to drive!
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I think one of the reasons it takes three hours is that there are lots of places to stop and take pictures, but yes it is a steep, windy (slow) road. Motorhomes go through there all the time on their way to Yellowstone, but if you're hauling a lot, keep an eye on the gauges! I'll just have my Superduty with the camper on it, and a trailer with two LJ's.

It can't be any worse than Red Mountain Pass, between Ouray and Silverton, CO, and I didn't have any trouble with that, but it was a slow drive. If you have an auto, keep a close eye on the temp., especially if it's a hot day. When I burned up the tranny on the way to the CO meet, it was going through Flaming Gorge, on a day when the outside temp. was over 100*, and the steep, windy roads went on for many miles!

Tweeder, do you have a tranny temp gauge on your Superduty? The only warning light on my ('01) was the "overdrive OFF" light blinking on the shifter, and I didn't see that until after I stopped (i.e. after it was too late). My big mistake was driving the auto like a stick downhill, downshifting to keep speed down. That's what really heated up the tranny, and I was going down the longest hill when I heard the death squeal!

Kris, if you're just taking one LJ on a trailer, you shouldn't be towing more than 2,000#, right? I would think you'd be okay, esp. if your trailer has brakes. You could also drive the pass after we get there - leave the trailer and LJ at camp, and just drive the Jeep over.

With 8 missed school days due to floods, snow, and power outages so far, the girls' school cancelled mid-winter break, and extended the school year by four days, so the last day is currently Monday, June 25th. We'll probably leave Wednesday evening (6/27), get close on Thursday (stay at a CG, and fill/flush the tanks), and drive over the pass Friday morning. We're going to tour Yellowstone the week after the meet, but we'll spend some time watching the wolves, so we won't be far away for the first few days.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:Tweeder, do you have a tranny temp gauge on your Superduty? The only warning light on my ('01) was the "overdrive OFF" light blinking on the shifter, and I didn't see that until after I stopped (i.e. after it was too late). My big mistake was driving the auto like a stick downhill, downshifting to keep speed down. That's what really heated up the tranny, and I was going down the longest hill when I heard the death squeal!
nope, no tranny temp gauge :D

it's not needed with a manual :cool:

we'll be hitting Yellowstone after the meet, too.....among other things. looks like a 2-week trip.
A legend in my own mind.
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

We haven't decided on the before vs. after Yellowstone trip. I'm still waiting for the updated school schedule and my wife to figure out the dates of her trip.

Looking through the pictures of Beartooth pass, the scenery is awesome. We'll probably head across it without the LJ just to see the views.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

deimos wrote: Looking through the pictures of Beartooth pass, the scenery is awesome. We'll probably head across it without the LJ just to see the views.
naw, run the pass IN the LJ! :Dude:
A legend in my own mind.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

The last time I went over Bear Tooth Pass it hailed (pea sized hail) so bad that it scoured the paint off of the rain gutters on my new 1985 Dodge. There was over 4" of hail on the road and I had it in 4WD all the way.

Wonderful trip, tho, I often think fondly about that drive.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Found this map online, and thought it might be helpful to those who are planning on/thinking of attending:

http://www.cookecitysinclair.com/Cookemap.jpg

I talked to the local FS rangers, and they said there were some dispersed camping areas along Miller Creek Road and Fisher Creek Road. I'll probably look for something along Miller Creek Road, as it is longer before becoming a 4WD trail (good for those in campers & motorhomes), and it is also a bit closer to town. I've also seen some pictures of that 4WD cutoff that goes into town, and there are some nice views. We could probably take the LJ's down that trail into town if we needed anything.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Update: as of today, it's only 12 weeks till the meet!!! :D :D :D
LJ80 Hun
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by LJ80 Hun »

If you near to Hungary, you want to go to the Somogybabod in 25-27 majus. 1000 4wd car and truck, 20000 people, party, koncert, stb.

Information:

http://www.somogybabod.com/index2.php

Some picture:

http://terepjaro.com/e107_plugins/coppe ... p?album=29

http://terepjaro.com/e107_plugins/coppe ... 178&page=1
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

:shock:

Too bad I'll be at Liberty that weekend!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well I checked, and Cooke City is already snow-free, and there's only about 1.5 feet of snow up at 8200' elevation. They had pretty low snowpack this year, which is bad for them but good for us! We shouldn't have any issues with snow unless they get a cold, wet May!

Only 53 days! :D
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

53 days!?!? :shock: Getting close.
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

I've been looking at the maps and there are a ton of old mines in the area. I'll bring along my laptop with the Magellan GPS mapping software if anybody has a Magellan Map 330, or SporTrak series GPS.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

ONLY 25 DAYS TO GO!!!

In checking mapquest, I can save about 80 miles and 1.5 hours by going through Yellowstone to Cooke City, as opposed to Beartooth pass, so I may do that so I can get there Thursday night. If so, I'll probably drive up Beartooth after the meet.
LJ80 Hun
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by LJ80 Hun »

I have some pictures from Somogybabod!

http://terepjaro.com/e107_plugins/coppe ... ?album=281

This was a very good party!
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

I wish we could be there. Sounds like it will be a nice trip. My 6 MPG van would kill my bank account though I think. I can't wait to see the pics... I will be thinking of yall from dear old Turkey.

Smuz, you ole Rat, Can't believe I missed yet another chance of giving you hell.

I am still planning on the Winter Trip. Maybe will even bring the LJ, haha.

:roll:
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

You are still in Turkey! DAMN! When (or can you say) are you coming home?
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

KDKG wrote: Smuz, you ole Rat, Can't believe I missed yet another chance of giving you hell.

I am still planning on the Winter Trip. Maybe will even bring the LJ, haha.

:roll:
You musta missed where I said I wasn't going this year.

I am still planning on the Winter Trip, also, though.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.