JEEP - It's What's For Dinner!

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

This is not L-series specific, or even Suzuki, but My local club Wazuks took this picture of a Jeep coming up behind us on a trail last Saturday:
Attachments
Burning Jeep.jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 21072 times
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

So this is why you insist on fire extinguishers....

Russ
This is retirement?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We don't have a "Stupid Human Tricks" section here, so this seemed the most appropriate place.

First of all, no one was injured - driver and passenger got out okay.

This hill is usually pretty easy, I can usually make it in 2nd or 3rd in my Samurai, and have done it in my LJ10 without problem, but there was literally a small creek running down the middle Saturday, and the mud was about 6" deep. A group of Jeeps ahead of us was stopped when we got there, as one had lost a bead. When they left, we went up, and the Tracker in front of me then lost a bead. By now there were more Jeeps behind us. All but one of us had to winch up, though we all made it most of the way before losing momentum, so we only had to winch the last 10' or so.

Once at the top, we watched the Jeeps come up. The first Jeep made it, but the second didn't come close. I was up with my girls when I heard the call for fire extinguishers. I grabbed mine, even though I could tell the fire was too big to be stopped, and handed it over. They used all of our fire extinguishers to no avail, and so the Jeep burned on.

I talked to the owner - he had been building this CJ up for two years, and this was only the second time he had taken it out. Now the kicker: Apparently, his fuel cell was leaking, and also his engine wasn't quite dialed in yet, so it backfired occasionally. Back at the campground that morning, a backfire had ignited the leaking fuel, and the group had used their fire extinguishers to put it out, leaving them only one when they got on the trail. Yet, with the fuel leak not fixed, this guy opted to take his Jeep out on the trail anyway. I guess this is a Jeep thing - I don't understand. Anyway, going up the hill the leak was at it's worst, and it backfired again, and the Jeep is history. At it's peak, the flames were 30-40' high!

One amusing part: We're watching it burn, it's fully engulfed, when all of a sudden his offroad lights come on! We guessed the wiring was melting, creating a short circuit. Someone said they heard his winch motor come on too, but I missed it.

I'm glad this happened on a rainy day, at the end of a rainy week, in springtime though. If it was August, and things had dried up the way they usually do, it surely would have started a forest fire (not only from the burning Jeep, but there was a river of flames running down the hill when the fuel cell melted). We would have been hard-pressed to get out of the woods before it caught up with us!

At this point, I don't think I have to say "what not to do"... I just need to pick up a new fire extinguisher!
thesarg
The Procrastinator
The Procrastinator

Post by thesarg »

Apparently, his fuel cell was leaking, and also his engine wasn't quite dialed in yet, so it backfired occasionally. Back at the campground that morning, a backfire had ignited the leaking fuel, and the group had used their fire extinguishers to put it out, leaving them only one when they got on the trail. Yet, with the fuel leak not fixed, this guy opted to take his Jeep out on the trail anyway.
This chaps my ass, and is the main reason i only wheel with people i know. If you dont have your rig ready and safe for the run dont show up, and if you know there is a safety issue (LIKE FIRE!) then FFS stay off the trails...it's irresponsible, unsafe and gives a bad reflection of our sport.

...and its not a jeep thing, it's a human thing. My Jeep has yet to fail me or catch fire.

/rant off
If you cant afford it, fab it!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yeah, this guy was part of a club or group, which is why I was surprised he was out there. If someone in our group had this problem, we would tell him to not go. But then, people will do what they want... Maybe his club/group suggested he not drive it, but he did anyway.

The fact that his backfire started a fire means he was probably running glass packs, or something similar, but no spark arrester. Illegal on FS roads.
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

The reason he still went on the trail is because he felt the need to show-off to the zukis; he didn't do a very good job.

How'd the 20 do?
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

I bet Craige was the only one who made it :ahem:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Nope. Travis was the only one who made it up without winching. Jeff didn't take his LJ20 out that day. Of course, you'd know that if you actually SHOWED UP!!!
Last edited by stevec on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

Well we ended up having to tair apart the axle cause we got LOADS of mud in it :-( (tahoya)
My dad left a message for some of the guys to see if you could have Steve I. take that carb so we could just pick it up at his house.....
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

If "dad" had left a message at my house, I could've.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

:shock: Now THAT's a FIRE!
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Oh nice, a pretty fire! But I agree, he shouldn't have been on the trail if the thing already lit of fire once. Not my idea of fun anyway.
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...