Aint a stump puller!

Little tricks and some things you shouldn't do for your L Series Suzuki

Moderator: stevec

Eddy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Aint a stump puller!

Post by Eddy »

Don't use your LJ to pull out tree stumps, 'specially if the unis are a bit dodgy!

Pulled a stump with my 50, and shredded the unis on the intermediate driveshaft :-(

... :-( after a two month search :evil: ... a good second hand jobby arrived in the mail today, :cool:
Searching for my next LJ
.[____].
(.0!!!!0.)
[]------[]

'77 Leyland Terrier
'80 Nissan 720 4X4 ute
AND A LJ!!!
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

my dad used his 1972 lj20 to pull out stumps for over 23 years on his 80 acres. but you never know when something might go it might be right away or several years.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

stump pulling

Post by Idahopaul »

yes, I too have had carnaige from using my LJ as a tractor.
first, the original transfer case in the LJ10 stripped the gears when the bearings got worn and siezed, this I thought was due to previous owners lack of upkeep.
the second transfer case was from a LJ20 which by the way is slightly diferent, bigger bearings. I used synthetic gear lube in that one. the bearings where a bit loose on this one granted. it would pop out of 4 low while descending a very steep grade, other than that is was great, never heated ever. anyway, after numerous hard pulls, trees large trucks and rv's etc. the gears stripped out while playing in a snow bank last year. though the bearings never seized on this one. so pay close attention to your bearings in your case cuz if you dont this might happen to you!
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

And don't ever loose your bearings!!!
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
zukimoo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

re:

Post by zukimoo »

I tried for hours to pull out this little stump last summer and never got anywhere. I tried to dig it out with no luck.

I went out to the rental store and rented a stump grinder and it took care of the stump in about 5 minutes. Some of the neighbours came out and I told them $30 for the little ones and $50 for the big ones and you clean your own mess. Made over $200 that day after costs.
81 LJ80, 3500lbs winch, 1.0 HO, 1000cc's of pure power....brap...listen to her go

Mods 2 come
-Lockrite in the back, -spring over done right and complete,-cross over steering,-seats,-6000lbs +- winch on front,-3500lbs winch ,moved to back,-highlift jack
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Now thats thw way to get rid of a stump, make money afterwards.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: stump pulling

Post by stevec »

Idahopaul wrote:yes, I too have had carnaige from using my LJ as a tractor.
first, the original transfer case in the LJ10 stripped the gears when the bearings got worn and siezed, this I thought was due to previous owners lack of upkeep.
the second transfer case was from a LJ20 which by the way is slightly diferent, bigger bearings. I used synthetic gear lube in that one. the bearings where a bit loose on this one granted. it would pop out of 4 low while descending a very steep grade, other than that is was great, never heated ever. anyway, after numerous hard pulls, trees large trucks and rv's etc. the gears stripped out while playing in a snow bank last year. though the bearings never seized on this one. so pay close attention to your bearings in your case cuz if you dont this might happen to you!
Don't forget that time a couple of years ago when you had to tow another LJ10 up a 12,800' mountain pass, and you spit out a driveshaft! :))):

Welcome back Paul, long time eh?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Re: Aint a stump puller!

Post by Idahopaul »

stevec wrote: Don't forget that time a couple of years ago when you had to tow another LJ10 up a 12,800' mountain pass, and you spit out a driveshaft! :))):

Welcome back Paul, long time eh?
ah, yes! that was a lot of fun though, at least looking back on it I think it was fun. I was glad to be able to tow somebody else for once, instead of being the one towed. funny, I even had to tow myself after that, the pickup cabover and trailer!
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yeah, I still want to go back there and run the whole loop, as well as some of the other trails around there. Probably spend about a week there, camping in Eureka again. I actually have been thinking about a longer trip, 4-6 weeks, where I can spend some time in Moab/Canyonlands, some time in Colorado, etc. That won't happen until 2012 at least though, but it would be cool to do it all with just the LJ81 and an offroad camping trailer!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

Id like to do it again also and go into Teluride and over black bear pass etc. though starting the loop in Ouray and heading up toward engineer pass would be fun, ya Ill have to make it back there myself. you need several weeks there to see everything, there is so much to see there, not to mention places like Mesa Verdi (spelling?) which is close by and is actually on the way if you go to Moab on the way home. I have found some cool places right here in Idaho thats closer so Ill stick around here till I can get enough vacation to go back there for a couple of weeks agian. 3-6 weeks would be so cool to spend there, and I think you could camp within 10 miles of Silverton the whole time and not run out of things to see. there is so much to see even off of the loop I dont even know about the other runs that are around there like going to Teluride.
"How can I help?"
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

stevec wrote:Yeah, I still want to go back there and run the whole loop, as well as some of the other trails around there. Probably spend about a week there, camping in Eureka again. I actually have been thinking about a longer trip, 4-6 weeks, where I can spend some time in Moab/Canyonlands, some time in Colorado, etc. That won't happen until 2012 at least though, but it would be cool to do it all with just the LJ81 and an offroad camping trailer!
Yes! I would love to be able to go there since I didn't get to go the first time!!!