Colorado?

We are planning an LJ meeting in Colorado for June 21-23, 2005.

Moderators: stevec, Jimny

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Colorado?

Post by Jimny »

How does Colorado sound for the meeting?
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Fine with me, count me in.

I CAN bring more than one, can't I?

hehehehehe
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

You bet!!! I'm going to have a trailer built by then that will haul two model T's so it should be able to haul two LJ's Mine and __TR__....if he goes. if not then mine will be in the bed of my pickup.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well if TR can't come, hijack his LJ and bring it anyway. The more the merrier, and I'm sure we'll have a few spare drivers!

Good luck on the trailer...you did a great job on the last one, though I'm not sure if you'd recognize it. It's a lovely semi-gloss black now, with ebrake, a load distribution hitch, and an official WA stamp on it. I'm going to weld some brackets on the front for the ramps, as I load my Samurai on it that way. I also picked up a set of four Toyota 15x6 chrome wheels, that appear to have the correct backspacing, and it'll get 6-ply trailer tires this spring. I'm also going to get some Suzuki Sidekick center caps and see if they fit, for that finished look!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

WOW!!! Sounds like it is looking like I wanted it to look when I started working on it. Sounds good! I will see it at the meet right?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Oh yeah! Of course, since it holds two LJ's, I've got pick up another good one...wonder if an LJ81 will fit in the wheelwells?

I think we're going to plan our vacation around this event, and hit Yellowstone for a few days. You can't drive above 40 mph in the park anyway, so it'd be perfect for an LJ to tool around in!
Last edited by stevec on Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

I was going o say I would follow you up there but it is at the top of Wyoming. Never know though, I still might do just that. I have never been there and it might be my only chance.

If we are in agreement with Colorado then we need to work on a date. My job I can ask anytime off as long as I give them a long enough advance and someone else hasn't wanted that week. So what sounds good to you all?

I will start another post for the date.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Where in Colorado? I have a friend (yes I do have at least one friend :wink: ) that use to live in Colorado and he could tell me some places to go. I will check with him and pass along the info.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I can do some research via Colorado 4x4 clubs, magazine articles, etc., but I do not have any direct experience, so if anyone out there does, please chime in!

My feeling is that we should find a place that will be challenging for a stock LJ, but with a low risk of body damage for those of us trying to keep our LJ's nice and stock. I'd say a place with nice scenery too, but what part of Colorado doesn't have nice scenery?
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

That is what I was thinking of too, I would like to have just an easy up hill ride and with occasional steep climbs. What I would love to do is go up a mountain/hill all day stop for rest's and lunch dinner etc then find a place to setup camp and spend the night then the next day head back down hopefully a different way.

I'm planning on staying for more then 2 days.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Talked to my friend which has moved back to CO. and he said a great place would be around Redstone http://www.redstonecolorado.com/

"Three Day Tour consisting of jeep trails, dirt road and pavement. This pass can be incorporated into a great three day circle that lends itself perfectly for a three day weekend of pass exploration in the Elk, West Elk and Sawatch Ranges. The route is as follows: Aspen, Pearl Pass, Crested Butte, Ohio Pass, Gunnison, Pitkin, Cumberland Pass, Taylor Pass, Aspen. Ohio Pass can be bypassed for an easier second day. Endpoints for each day are Crested Butte, Pitkin, and Aspen. Narrative." http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... pearl.html

here is another website: http://www.swcolotravel.org/westelk.html
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

That looks nice. :D

It looks like there's a lot of moderate 4WD trails around Leadville also.

One concern I've come up with is snow - some of these trails traverse passes that are over 12,000', and may still be closed due to snow even in July. We also want trails that we can do in a day, and be back at camp for dinner. I think loops are the best, but we can also do out-and-back trails (i.e., drive out, have lunch, then drive back)

Another option I just thought of is Pikes Peak. You don't really need 4WD, but it'd be a fun day trip! :cool:
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

alpine loop

Post by Idahopaul »

man. that alpine loop looks fun! the HTTP://coloradobyways.colorado.edu/ByWay.cfm?ID=1 link says it takes a high clearance four wheel drive and takes 4-6 hours to make the loop. but stopping at all the sites would take longer but would be great! what great scenery too. my kids are still a little young I think, we will see how they do this summer in the lj. I dont think I will be able to go next year but I will sure try.
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Definitely try to make it...How old are your kids? Mine are currently 3 and 6, and both started wheeling before their 3rd birthday. In fact, Amber had her first trip a month before her 2nd birthday. That's about as young as I'd suggest, but they'll LOVE it!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

oh yes Idaho you got to, you just got to.

Lets see Leadville....I'm looking for it now.....Leadville, Leadville...... ahhhhh there it is just on the other side of Aspen. Looks good there too. A loop does sound good, I see where there are a lot of campgrounds and I bet trails start from them.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

but what part of Colorado doesn't have nice scenery?
From Lyons east to the Kansas border, that's wot part. There ain't nuffin on THAT stretch but 2 mangy jackrabbits and a whole lotta FLAT!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

LMAO!!! I noticed that on the map, on my atlas it has CO on both pages and on the right page it has nothing but on the left is a whole different state!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Hmmm, I thought they ceded that part of the state to Missouri... :P
ifxatvs
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by ifxatvs »

hey, we'll take it. :cool: just gets us closer to the beautiful part of CO.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

ifxatvs, I see you've done that Alpine Loop, from your post under ebay auctions. Looking at the descriptions, maps, and pictures, it sounds perfect to me! Do you know of a good camping area around there that could accomodate our group? Do they still run that steam train from Durango to Silverton? I remember doing it as a kid...

Ooooh, I'm starting to get excited about this! :) :D :bouncer: :wild:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

With the wife and kids, I like the idea of being back at the camper at night, as opposed to camping out on the trail.

On a side note, I like to think I'm a responsible 'wheeler, meaning I don't drink on the trail, or even bring it with me on the trail. That said, I've gotten pretty good at homebrewing (you should try the stout I made for St. Paddy's day!) and could cook up something for back at camp...what would y'all say to an "LJ lager"?
:beer:
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

I stopped at ifxatv's place this afternoon and low and behold Smuz was there too! We talked about the camping part, he said there is a great place to camp at the trail head and we will be able to make it back there by night time.

I second the motion that we have it at the Alpine Loop.
Last edited by Jimny on Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

If this gets toooooo organized I'm gonna need a permission slip from my Mom.....
We should encourage resonable and responsible behavior. Well, mostly......
I'm wondering if we show as an organized group, will we get treated differently (good or bad) by whoever thinks they are in charge?
I haven't a clue on what to expect in CO... Here in MI the state wants everybody to have an Off Road Vehicle (tax) permit. Private property laws are getting to be a problem... where I used to go play years ago is now all posted and makes you feel unwanted. Millions of acres, likely the few spoiled it for the many... :x
Russ
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Well ifxatv's can answer the question about any permits but he didn't mention the to Smuz and I today when we both were there talking to him.

As for organized I think we should be.

I got out of 4x4'n because of the drunk idiots, drinking responsible is fine as long as you don't go 4x4'n afterwords. Drinking like stevec said should be done at the campsite I will be right there having a few myself especially if he brings some home brew!

This IS a family get-together. I think TR is going to make a banner welcoming the Suzuki LJ owners....

As for the leader.....well that I guess is up to stevec, he brought up the ideal again, he and I have talked about having a meet like this before but didn't have enough interested back then.

Remember: We WILL be representing Suzuki LJ owners everywhere and lj10.com! :wink:
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

permits

Post by Idahopaul »

the link http://www.co.blm.gov/sjra/ohv-facts.htm, talks about the rules for that. if your vehicle is registered in your home state your covered. if not registered at all you have to get permits from land management. this was a link for southwest colorado but Im sure its the same for rest of state. ya, I agree about the drinking part, besides that leads to littering most of the time. I dont like to see stuff like cans and garbage in the woods. the four wheeling group as a nation is getting a bad rap from people who leave one or two things behind, getting our lands closed. I dont like seeing lands close because then you cant even hunt in those areas unless you are willing to walk 20 miles. sorry, Im rambling.
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"