Date, Location of PNW Meet

Information regarding the June 24-25, 2006 Meet in Washington State

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Date, Location of PNW Meet

Post by stevec »

I am tentatively planning next year's Northwest meet for the Liberty, WA area. This area has a very large number of trails to run, ranging from dirt FS roads to some pretty tight, technical 4WD trails. There are some incredible views from some of the trails and lookouts, and a lot of old abandoned mines (as well as some that are still in use!). Most of these trails are interconnected, and are fairly short (1-2 miles for the 4WD trails). There are lots of places to go, even for the Carry's. As an added bonus, there's a BLM Cammpground that offers free camping right at the start of some trails, and has areas suitable for a large group. Elevation won't be an issue as it was this year, as these trails are all below 6,000', and I think they're all below 5,000'.

Liberty is located off Hwy 97, about 10 miles North of Cle Elum, WA. Cle Elum is right on I-90, about 80 miles East of Seattle, and about 25 miles West of Ellensburg, which make this an easy location for those coming both from Western Washington, as well as those coming over from Oregon or Idaho. Idahopaul was there with me last year with my local 4x4 club (Wazuks) and had a great time, despite some breakage!

Another great thing about this area is that it is on the Eastern slope of the Cascades, which means that even if it is raining in Seattle, it is usually warm and sunny in Cle Elum and Liberty.

Now for questions:

1. What dates work or do not work for everyone? Most people have not made any plans for next summer yet, but if anyone has certain dates they know will not work, speak up now. I'm thinking either the same time as this year's meet (late June) or Mid-July, thus avoiding any holiday weekends. If you have a preference, let me know!

2. Since we're doing regional meets, the assumption is that most people can get here in a day or two. For this reason, I'm thinking we could do a weekend meet, and people can take as much time before and after the meet as needed to get there or plan other things to do. Thus, someone who can get here in a day could drive here on Thursday or Friday, and leave Monday or Tuesday. Would anyone prefer a mid-week meet like this year? The advantage of a mid-week meet is that there could be less traffic on the trails, though this area doesn't have an overcrowding problem, except a little on holiday weekends. There would certainly be adequate space in the campground for us.

3. If you have other ideas for a location, let me know. I think this location is well suited for people on the west coast, Idaho/Montana/Utah, as well as those Canadians up in BC, but I am open to other suggestions.

We had a total of 11 rigs at the 2005 meet - I would like to double that number for htis 2006 meet if we can!! :D
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

Can we stay at your house?
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Depends on how many "we" is. :wink:

The meet itself is about 65 miles east of my house, as I'm on the wet (west) side of the mountains, but there is a lot to on both sides if you're making a vacation of it!
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

Just kidding! I told you before, I have two nephews and a niece in the Seattle area. Redmond and Issaquah.
Last edited by Sluggo on Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

my 2 ¢

Post by Guest »

FWIW, I think the Liberty area would work out great. In addition to the wide variety of trails, and decent campground... there's a coffee shop down the road only a couple of miles as well as a restaurant. There is a ton of rock hounding in the area for those interested as well; agates, geodes, thunder eggs, fossils, etc.

I hope to be there.
Kris
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: my 2 ¢

Post by deimos »

Anonymous wrote:I hope to be there. Kris
Oops, forgot to login for last post.
Kris
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Oh yeah, forgot about the Liberty Cafe... It's BYOM (Bring your own mug - they have a shelf full of coffee mugs with names under them; about 90% of the customers are regulars who go in, grab their own mug off the shelf, and fill it up!)
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

372 miles to Liberty from me, better than 1493 miles to the 2005 meet. Really hope to be there.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

L-Series Meet

Post by lj20Colorado »

that will be wonderful.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ruby wrote:372 miles to Liberty from me, better than 1493 miles to the 2005 meet. Really hope to be there.
I'm counting on you being there, with the pink slip for your LJ81! :wink:

Actually, I thought it would be farther than that for you, but I guess there are enough highways coming down that way... :cool:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: L-Series Meet

Post by stevec »

lj20Colorado wrote:that will be wonderful.
Does this mean you're coming? This one would be quite a bit farther for you, but we'd love to have you there! :D
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

stevec wrote:
Ruby wrote:372 miles to Liberty from me, better than 1493 miles to the 2005 meet. Really hope to be there.
I'm counting on you being there, with the pink slip for your LJ81! :wink:

Actually, I thought it would be farther than that for you, but I guess there are enough highways coming down that way... :cool:
It would be a nice drive through the Okanagan, cross at Osoyoos, then straight down through WA. Wonder if the LJ could drive it.....
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ruby wrote:It would be a nice drive through the Okanagan, cross at Osoyoos, then straight down through WA. Wonder if the LJ could drive it.....

It's a nice drive in WA too - I think you'd come down near Lake Chelan? As long as your LJ can do 60mph (~90kph) it should make it just fine!

I'm still surprised it isn't farther than that for you - that puts Kamloops at only about 450mi from my house.
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Yes, looks like that area where I would pass through. I had it up to 90kph, little high rpm's but not too bad. I checked on yahoo maps/driving directions and that was the distance it gave me, not too far.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I have a map of this area, and today found it online in .pdf format, if anyone would like to see where we are planning this meet:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-e ... mplete.pdf
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Count me and my girlfriend in, will be a good time.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

:cool:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I'll be over at Liberty on Aug. 12-13 for the meteor shower, and then again over Labor Day weekend (Sept. 3-5); I'll get some more pictures so y'all can see what it's like.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: Date, Location of PNW Meet

Post by stevec »

stevec wrote:Now for questions:

1. What dates work or do not work for everyone? Most people have not made any plans for next summer yet, but if anyone has certain dates they know will not work, speak up now. I'm thinking either the same time as this year's meet (late June) or Mid-July, thus avoiding any holiday weekends. If you have a preference, let me know!

2. Since we're doing regional meets, the assumption is that most people can get here in a day or two. For this reason, I'm thinking we could do a weekend meet, and people can take as much time before and after the meet as needed to get there or plan other things to do. Thus, someone who can get here in a day could drive here on Thursday or Friday, and leave Monday or Tuesday. Would anyone prefer a mid-week meet like this year? The advantage of a mid-week meet is that there could be less traffic on the trails, though this area doesn't have an overcrowding problem, except a little on holiday weekends. There would certainly be adequate space in the campground for us.
Well, since no one has spoken up regarding a mid-week meet or a specific date, I'm gonna make a commitment. Let's go with the weekend of June 24-25th, 2006 for the Northwest Meet in Liberty, WA. Next step is to let me know if you'll be there, so I can make sure we save enough space. Please note that camping will be similar to that at this year's meet - free, but no hookups. There should be a Honey Bucket (porta potty) or two around, and a dumpster for trash, but no running water except the creek. If you're planning to go, please PM or email me (stevec@@lj10.com) with the following info: Name, userid, # of adults, # of kids w/ages, # and type of rig (i.e. LJ10), tow rig, camping facilities (i.e. tent, motorhome), and a contact and emergency phone number.
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

times of meet

Post by lj20Colorado »

I wont be abile to go to any meets between May 18- june 12 2006.

It would be nice to have the meets at least 3 weeks apart ok thanks for the time and all have a nice day.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: times of meet

Post by stevec »

lj20Colorado wrote:I wont be abile to go to any meets between May 18- june 12 2006.
Well, since I planned on having it on the 24-25th, I guess that means you can make it, right? :D

Including yourself, I've got a total of 7 LJ's signed up so far! :D
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

2006 Northwest Suzuki L-Series Meet

Post by lj20Colorado »

Count me in.
and this time ill bring my suzuki mongo
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

SWEEEEEET!!!!!!! :cool:
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

So who's coming?
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

I just picked up my first LJ (10) and plan to be in attendance. I'm going to post pictures in the other forum today.
Kris