Date, Location

July 21-23, 2012, in Silver City, Idaho!

Moderator: stevec

SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Date, Location

Post by SuzukiTom »

tweeder wrote:'bout 1700 miles to get to that point and that was, by far, the most desolate highway I've ever been on.
I think it was Steve that talks about an ordeal... :wink: I mean, it is what it is, but that was a LONG, hard drive.
Well, I'd have to agree that that is a desolate section of highway. But then again, that's my favorite type of scenery. Not like some of the highways I've taken going east of here, that seem like just tunnels through endless trees :|
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Pidder wrote:Sounds like fun. On the off chance I can make it, would it be alright to bring my diesel sammi that I had on the whipsaw run
Sure, bring it. I'd like to see it.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Pidder
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Pidder »

Great thanks! I'd love to meet some more of the people on this forum. Now just have to talk the wife into it. Norm
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Pidder wrote:..... would it be alright to bring my diesel sammi .....
A diesel! Don’t diesels smoke?? Don’t care about vehicles with worn out engines that emit smoke but should we allow vehicles with engines designed to smoke?

Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Pidder had his diesel on the Whipsaw run last year; it smokes a lot less than our LJ's! We'd love to have you show up Norm! (And you do, after all, have an LJ!)

Maybe Myers can bring you a spare tire cover that says "Diesels smoke, that's why!" :wink:
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

SuzukiTom wrote:Well, I'd have to agree that that is a desolate section of highway. But then again, that's my favorite type of scenery. Not like some of the highways I've taken going east of here, that seem like just tunnels through endless trees :|
And it SURE beat driving across Kans-ass. :-)
A legend in my own mind.
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

i hope i can make this one it sould be a fun one :hammer: sorry i missed all you guys this year at silverton
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

stevec wrote:...... it smokes a lot less than our LJ's! We'd love to have you show up Norm! (And you do, after all, have an LJ!)

Maybe Myers can bring you a spare tire cover that says "Diesels smoke, that's why!" :wink:
WHAT???? TWO STROKES SMOKE!!!!! Maybe I should slow down some so as to follow one sometime. :poke: OK I am for Norm. But don't expect a spare tire cover. Mine cost more that my spare tire and probably has more traction also.
Attachments
Two Strokes Smoke.jpg
"LJsRME"
nickademusss
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nickademusss »

I just got back from a huge work trip, and the holidays with Family back in TN, Anyone passing threw Utah on the way to Idaho?

My LJ needs a lift to the meet, Id be happy to share the fuel bill, I could make it on one of the weekends listed....

The only work Yoda needs before the trip, I noticed my master brake cylinder started leaking wile I was away, it filled the floor board with fluid.

Yoda sat for two months, in the cold under the tarps, but started after some cranking with no issues.

Jacob want to share the $$$ of the trip? your south of me, gotta pass threw some Utah on the way :poke:
Most terrifying words in the English language are " I'm from the government and I am here to help"
:Ronald Reagen
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

zack im still 50/50 on if im goingor not but i think there are some guys of thinking of going to moab after the main meet if thats the case i might go to that??
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

nickademusss wrote:My LJ needs a lift to the meet, Id be happy to share the fuel bill, I could make it on one of the weekends listed....
Zack, we will probably do I-80 going and I 70 returning or vice versa as the bride wants of look over Salt Lake City while we are there. However, my trailer fits only one LJ. Do hope you can make it though.
Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Still trying to find out if the roads into Silver City are RV friendly, but mom found this place: http://www.givenshotsprings.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They have a couple of cabins, plus trailers, etc. to rent, also RV and dry camping sites. Might be a good place to set up camp, as it would be easy for everyone, and then we can head off for the day from there. The "Places of Interest" page mentions a couple of 4-wheeling trails.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

What little I have found out:

So far no reply from the revived hotel in Silver City. Probably not open yet. Like Tom and Nancy we need our own bathroom and we also need electricity for the sleeptime breathing equipment us old folks have.

Talked to the Post Mistress at Murphy, ID yesterday. About 25 miles NE of Silver City. There is not much in Murphy. From Google Earth it looks like very small farming community. She did not think the road to Silver City was yet open for the season. Knew they had straightened out some of the curves the past few years. Felt like smaller motor homes and trailers can usually make it. Also asked her if she knew of a house to rent for a week or maybe something foreclosed on that a bank might rent. Nothing
Also talked to the one motel lady at Jordon Valley,OR which is about 26 miles mostly west of Silver City. Jordon has the motel, service station, and eating place and it looks like a convenience store of some type. Looks like pretty old, isolated community. Read some feed back from motel customers …… not the best. Kind of reminded me of the Elk Horn Cabins we stayed at in Cooke City, MT except the Jordan Valley Motel was built in the 1950’s whereas the cabins at Elk Horn were built between 1913 and 1923.
Toying with the idea of renting a small motor home in Boise area. Went to Oklahoma City Monday to see what they looked like. A 25 footer would work fine for us and picking it up close like that would result in saving on mileage (only about 150 miles round trip @ 30-40 cents. Don’t remember exactly what the day rate was but was close the the rate for motels in Durango, CO last year. Also would have the cost of a place to park the thing plus dumping cost plus hourly rate on generator. Could rob the deep cycle marine batteries from the boat which would do for the sleep equipment as it can use either 120 or 12 volt.

At this ten seconds the motor home looks like the best way to go for us, bathroom, shower, fridge, stove, plus bed. But no concrete plans as yet.

Steve, me and any one else reserving stuff need to know if the extra day(s) are before or after the 21/22 weekend.

Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Larry, the Silver City hotel is only open in summer, and the roads into Silver City are not open in the winter. The campground in Givens Hot Springs has trailers and cabins for rent - the trailers should have all of the amenities you need. (Not sure about the cabins). Mom is worried about driving their motorhome into Silver City, especially towing the LJ behind it, so they will probably opt for this place. I expect it would be cheaper to rent one of the trailers than get a motorhome, and would probably be easier.

The meet will start on Saturday; we will probably drive to the Boise area Friday afternoon/evening. I have the meet scheduled through Monday - we can stay longer if we want, but I don't plan to be there before Friday night/Saturday morning.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

That could open up more avenues. For some reason I was under the impression everyone would be staying in or around Silver City so was trying to do better than the Waiparous, Alberta meet where we made a daily 80+ mile round trip between where everyone was camped and our Super 8 in Cochrane.

I don’t mind the miles so much and Miss Alice looks at a dirt road as if it was an Interstate. However, sure do hate to offend my truck by asking it to do dirt on a daily basis.

Don't know for sure why I am like this but it may come from having lived on dirt roads for a good part of my life plus working as a mechanic in a hell hole where in four short years I acquired a free 40 acre farm just by carrying home the mud, dirt, rocks and cow turds that fell from the customers vehicles while I was working under them.

However, I never could afford a place to put my free farm due to the low wages and high land values that always seem to come with Oklahoma locations suffering from dirt roads, so when I got a job opportunity in a location with paved roads I just moved off and left it there in the ally, all piled up in a neat pile 40 acres tall.

Heard later the City had paid some rich farmer to haul off my free farm after which it sprouted him a fairly good oil well which after all these years is still producing oil every 3000 miles or so. So maybe that is why I hate to offend my truck with dirt roads.

Myers
"LJsRME"
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

stevec wrote:Still trying to find out if the roads into Silver City are RV friendly, but mom found this place: http://www.givenshotsprings.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They have a couple of cabins, plus trailers, etc. to rent, also RV and dry camping sites. Might be a good place to set up camp, as it would be easy for everyone, and then we can head off for the day from there. The "Places of Interest" page mentions a couple of 4-wheeling trails.
Steve,
Are you going to be staying at Givens Hot Springs? I see at the bottom of the camping page that dogs are not allowed. Won't that be a problem?

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

SuzukiTom wrote:Are you going to be staying at Givens Hot Springs? I see at the bottom of the camping page that dogs are not allowed. Won't that be a problem?

Tom & Nancy
Yes, that would be a problem - I didn't see that part... I'll have to look into that.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

I don't think I have ever seen a dog attending the LJ Meets. Stevec and family brought a very nice four footed friend who has since passed on and Steve and Pat have a four footed B/W friend who fits right in with the crowd plus does a great job of entertainiing.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

As of last October, we have a new four footed friend (Charlie) that looks like a smaller version of Pat and Stephen's (Christy). Charlie would love to be friends with Christy, but apparently Christy doesn't feel the same. Pat also usually brings a cat or two, but I wouldn't call them "friends" (they only like Pat, and therefore are typically confined to the motorhome!)

I'll keep looking for campsites. There's a lot of BLM land around there for those who don't mind dry camping, and if Tom and Myers want to stay in the cabins or trailers at the hot springs, we can probably find something close by to camp.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

I liked the Hot Springs ares due to it being close (25 miles or so) to about any hotel you could want, and all of the mileage would be on pavement. Not bad. We could leave Miss Alice at the main camp and make the daily trip between it and the room without gravel roads.
Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yeah, I liked the idea of staying at the hot springs as well, as it seemed fairly central to the different trails, and would be much easier on the tow rigs. I'm really surprised they don't allow pets at all. I'll call them in a few days (when I can talk again, been a little under the weather) and verify it. If they truly won't allow us to bring pets, I'll check with Dion and the BLM office about dispersed camping close to the hot springs. That way, those who wanted to stay at the hot springs could, and those of us with pets could be close by.
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

BUMP!!! Any update on camping site? Dont worry about the road accesability for my 5th wheel camper, plenty of ground clerance to get about where ever i need to go. Dry camping is fine as is improved camp ground just would like to know where.
p/s Phil & Edie with 1 LJ
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

My parents are leary about taking their motorhome up to Silver City - it doesn't have as much clearance as your trailer!

I think Larry and Tom are staying in cabins at Givens Hot Springs (which is quite aways from Silver City), but since we'll have pets with us, we might just find a camping spot on the BLM land around there. I'd like to try to find a spot close to Givens so it'll be easy to meet up, and if others want to dry camp with us, I'll make sure we get a large enough space to fit us all in.

There's also a "River Haven RV Park" that is just 3-4 miles north of Givens. It's on the river and they allow pets, but it doesn't appear that they have cabins or rooms for rent. Looking at Google Maps, it's mostly farmland around there, so we may just stay there, as it might be closer to Givens than any BLM land. Since our rigs are street legal, it shouldn't be a problem driving to the trails.

From Givens, it is 9 miles to Reynolds Creek Road and 17 miles to Rabbit Creek Road (both staging areas for the trails.) I've thought about camping around one of these trailheads, but the trails are popular with quads, and I worry about the noise at night. I'll see how busy they are when we get there. Silver City is almost 50 miles from Givens, so that would make a good day trip. We won't have the altitude issues we had last year in Colorado, so it should be a pretty easy day.

We will probably get there Saturday, late morning or early afternoon, unless we can get the whole day off on Friday.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Posted this in another thread as well, but we are offically staying at River Haven. Have reservations for two spots, and they have plenty of room for our trailers. We'll leave Friday evening and drive to Pendleton, then arrive at River Haven Saturday, late morning or early afternoon.