Getting ready for the meet...

July 18-22, 2011, near Silverton, CO

Moderator: stevec

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Getting ready for the meet...

Post by Smuz »

Lift-Dr wrote:My wife has a few questions. Where is the nearest place to get potable water? Are campfires allowed in the area? Are any of our fellow campers interested in more shared evening meals than the shared potluck? See you'all next week I hope. Mel
I don't remember if there's a potable water spigot at the potty house or not. Mebbe sumbody else remembers. Regardless, Silverton is less than 5 miles away and I'm sure they have (at the very least) bottled water and they prolly got a public tap.

Hell, we're up for shared meals as long as you don't make fun of our paltry contribution. (or we'll go eat our sammitches by ourselves)
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

From the looks of the weather for Silverton for the coming week, we won't have to worry about dusty conditions. Bring a coat, the highs are around 50 (F) :shock: with lows almost Freezing!

I see as of July 5, Black Bear Road is still closed :-(

Tom H.
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Lift-Dr
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Lift-Dr »

Hello, this is Lucy, I am Mel's wife. we are camping at Eureka and I am planning and getting food ready. I have chilli enough for 6 or 7 folks. any one want to bring side dish for 6 or 7 and join us? I also have enough spagetti for 8 or more. any one want to bring side dish for 8 or more and join us? we will have a propane stove with 2 burners. We also are grilling with Smuz and Alice 2 nights, you can join us there also, bring your meat and a side dish to share, bring quick quicking meat, the grill is very small. any one else camping?
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Well, I'm all loaded up except for throwing the coolers in. Be pulling out about 6am tomorry.
Can't wait, I'm stoked!
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

Smuz wrote:Well, I'm all loaded up except for throwing the coolers in. Be pulling out about 6am tomorry.
Can't wait, I'm stoked!
Have a good one!
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Friday 7:24 p.m.

Do not know what it is with trannys (and other things) and LJ Meets.

The tranny went out in the Brides car in Oklahoma City (130 miles) about dark yesterday. Our daughter was driving it. Thanks to Stevec's tranny problems last year I just had it towed to Aamoco shop there. Should be fixed by Wed. and they loaned her a loaner car.

Before that I had got too hot up at the shop and came home in the pickup. Either failed to lock down the bed lid or left it up.
Garage door found it. Damage to the lid and broke off the handle. Seller gave me a used handle, scratched but same color.

This a.m. I was in the process of making a "how to" on loading and tarping Miss Alice on the trailer. Have been doing "how to's) for my survivors to use after I am no longer here. Laid camera on trailer. I know to pick up the camera by the strap but failed. Strap caught on something and jerked camera out of jerk's hand. Noticed a very nice very thick maginfying glass laying on concrete driveway. Front lense.

This afternoon I called my thrift plan folks. Told them I needed electronic transfer of additional money from my 401k plan to my checking account so I can pay credit card bills when we get home from LJ meet.

Now headed to town to Wal-Mart to buy new camera.

Will leave early tomorrow (Sat). Hope to be in Silverton Monday. Can't wait.

Someday it will make a very funny story.

Myers
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Wow!

I just heard from Lift-Dr. He was loading his Samurai in his gooseneck horse trailer and it seems as if a Samurai is heavy enough to pick up the back wheels of the truck when the Sammi comes up on the back of the trailer. And since the e-brake and gears won't hold with the rear wheels off the ground, the rig can roll back down the hill, jack knife and break out the rear window of the truck.

He's a bit upset.

The only bad thing that's happened to me is that LIKE EVERY YEAR Alice doesn't have enough room in the coolers for the 24 weeks worth of food she wants to take. So she wants me to unload my beer out of MY cooler so she can use that, too.

NO, NO, NO,... HELL NO!
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Smuz wrote:... the rig can roll back down the hill, jack knife and break out the rear window of the truck.
I am feeling better already, Myers

the 24 weeks worth of food she wants to take. So she wants me to unload my beer out of MY cooler so she can use that, too.

NO, NO, NO,... HELL NO!
I also complain about the amount of food bride brings but if I look at her and then look at me I can't complain.....
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Sounds like a busy week getting ready, as usual!

We're just north of Durango with Pat & Stephen, having left a week ago. It's hot here (low 90's - hotter than anywhere we were in Southern Utah for the past week.) Had a few minor issues enroute: Thunderstorms around Salt Lake City revealed the fact that the passenger side windshield wiper needed replacing, so I put a set on when we stopped for the night. Next morning, just south of SLC, one of the trailer's taillights came loose from it's mount, and dragged along the freeway awhile, so I bought another set and put one on, saving the other for a spare. In Bryce Canyon, the truck brakes let it be known that they needed some attention, so I drove the LJ81 into Panguitch, bought new pads and rotors, and had the service station at the park install them while we toured the backroads (ok, they were ATV trails!) in the LJ's.

So far this trip I've put about 130 miles on the LJ10, all but four of which were on unpaved roads/trails. Same for the LJ81, plus the additional ~50 miles to get the brake parts.

We're taking the train to Silverton tomorrow, and will look for LJ's in case anyone is there. We'll be in camp late Monday morning.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude