Meet Location

July 18-22, 2011, near Silverton, CO

Moderator: stevec

lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Re: Meet Location

Post by lj20Colorado »

well i will see ya there smuz its a short distance but seams always work gets in the way
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Posted in the "dates" thread, I propose July 18-22 (Monday - Friday). If there are those who cannot be there the whole week, you just come for a couple of days. Basecamp will be the Eureka townsite, near Silverton CO (there are motels, inns, and cabins in Silverton for you non-campers!) Summarizing the discussions here, and a bit of researching I've done, I'd like to do the following day trips:

1. Alpine Loop - could make for a long day. We tried this at the 2005 meet, but had a large number of vehicle issues, and had to turn back. We did more mileage (100+) in a day at the Black Hills meet, with no problems at all, so it is definitely doable. Probably want to get an early start though. We would not stop in Animas Forks (but I'd like to go there another day!)

2. Black Bear Pass/Ophir Pass or Imogene Pass - Per Tom's suggestion, I think Ophir Pass, being shorter and easier, might be a quicker return route, allowing us to get back earlier, and giving more time to address any possible problems. Imogene Pass is supposed to be more scenic, and slightly more challenging, but ends in Ouray, meaning a longer trip back. We could play this one by ear: if we get into Telluride before lunchtime, and no problems, we could opt for Imogene Pass if we desired.

3. Corkscrew Pass/Hurricane Pass/California Gulch - A shorter trip, but I plan to go look for the old Corkscrew Gulch Turntable, a railroad turntable that was actually used to turn trains on a switchback on the side of a mountain (the mountainside was too steep to put in a proper turn). I've found where it is a fairly easy hike of less than a mile on the old railway bed (though, at 10,000'+, I'm not sure there is really an "easy" hike!)

4. Poughkeepsie Gulch - Rated as the most difficult trail in the area, mostly because of one obstacle, but still should be doable in our LJ's. Not a long trail, but we can combine it with other trails, or stop in Animas Forks for awhile on this day.

5. Eureka Gulch - Another fairly short, easy trail that starts right by our campsite. I remember wishing I could drive up there at the '05 meet, so I plan to go up this time. Could easily be combined with other trails, or we could spend the rest of the day in Silverton.

This is just a tentative plan right now, open to suggestions. Now I have to find a decent airport close by where Linda can fly into/out of. This will probably be a two week trip for us, but Linda can probably only do one week.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Warpig
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Warpig »

How bout Texas?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

People from Texas are invited too. In fact, SuzukiTom should be there, and he lives in Texas.
:wink:
Last edited by stevec on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added smiley!
Wolffur
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Wolffur »

Well I do live in Sandpoint, ID. Ive you would like you can have a meet here, we also have a lost in the 50's car show every year however im not exactly sure when, we have great weather, great mountains and a huge lake, and even some small places to do a little offroading or trailing.....
Wolffur Wolf
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Idahopaul is just south of you in Athol. He hasn't been on the forums much in awhile, but he had two LJ10's the last time I talked to him. One of them had a Datsun engine as well.

Idaho has been on the list of places to visit for a few years now; maybe in 2012?
Wolffur
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Wolffur »

That would be nice if i was able to get ahold of hum, im still doing some research so it would help, lol....
Wolffur Wolf
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

stevec wrote:Posted in the "dates" thread, I propose July 18-22 (Monday - Friday). If there are those who cannot be there the whole week, you just come for a couple of days. Basecamp will be the Eureka townsite, near Silverton CO...
Stevec, I'm taking it that the above proposal is now the plan. If not please advise.

Thanks, Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Myers wrote:Stevec, I'm taking it that the above proposal is now the plan. If not please advise.

Thanks, Myers
No one has suggested other dates, so yes, we'll go with July 18-22. Final answer. :wink:
biglady112
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by biglady112 »

Man, I planned on taking a week to go racing next year again, but this might be a good opportunity to have some fun for cheap. Still a bit of a drive, but I might me down for something like this. I would love to take my fiance for maybe three dys and two nights, but I don't know if she would want to. How many folks take the women folk with them?

But I may have to seems how this is not too close to home. I can spread the word to other local/semi-local samurai guys. I know this is for the older trucks, but we took 10 rigs two weeks ago, and had a blast.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

biglady112 wrote:I would love to take my fiance for maybe three dys and two nights, but I don't know if she would want to. How many folks take the women folk with them?
Pretty much all of us bring spouses, and some of us bring kids too. A majority of us will be camping, but a few will be renting cabins/hotel rooms.
biglady112
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by biglady112 »

How do you guys feel about newer suzukis and other makes joining in? Some guys on zukikrawlers expressed some interest in going.
ack
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by ack »

stevec wrote:
SuzukiTom wrote:...To quote C.W. McCall, "Mary Elizibeth drew a picture of the road, and it looked like a whole bunch of Z's and W's all strung together..."
...That would be the same C.W. McCall who later became mayor of Ouray. And I had that cassette tape when I was a kid. :P
C.W. McCall wrote - among other entertaining pieces of music - the Union Pacific Railroad song (http://utahrails.net/up/rollin-rr.mp3). It's one of my favorite songs.

But I digress...

I visited with Smuz at the kczuksofus.com get-together recently about this event.

I'm going to try to make it in 2010 with my Samurai or Tracker DD. It'll probably be the Tracker (stock '02 4-door 4wd V-6) as I also plan to travel on to Washington State. Not having a tow vehicle (or my youth) sucks!

That said, my first choice is Colorado but Idaho is okay too..

I drove the Tracker from Cottonwood, AZ to Prescott valley via Jerome in '09. As long as rock crawling isn't involved, I'm there!

I hope that you will see it in your hearts to allow us "young pups" to participate - for no other reason than to allow us to view your classic trucks up close. Other than Smuz's truck, I have only seen two others and both of those were not running.
-Ack
Ack's FAQ 835+ searchable links to the Suzuki mod and maintenance info that you seek!

'88 Suzuki Samurai trail truck/pizza delivery vehicle
'02 Tracker ZR2 4-door DD
both 4WD
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I personally don't have a problem with other, newer Suzuki's being there. We had a Samurai attend the Moab meet last year, and this year in the Black Hills we were shown around by a member of the local club, driving a Samurai.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Let's see. We had a Land Rover at the first meet. I dunno about the second. We had a Sammi pickup at the third. We had a Land cruiser at the fourth. We had a samurai at the fifth. We had a Jeep and a Samurai at the sixth.

Nope, a Tracker should be very welcome.

I think we should actively encourage others to join us. It's always fun to see others come away amazed and astounded at what they see those little LJ's do.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Miss Alice and us two oldies would not have had fun at Disney this fall without the Sami invite. Will definitely say I enjoyed the ZUKSofKC.us folks AND the respect they showed for our LJs by (as Suzuki Tom says) censoring the trails to what we could handle.
"LJsRME"
Vagabond
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Vagabond »

In 2008 my Wife and I spent 2 weeks exploring 4x4 trails in this area of Colorado in my Samurai.
Check out my pictures at:
http://www.web-pub.com/library" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "Trail Conditions" photos are HDV video frames taken from a Zuk mounted HDV video camera. The "Colorado Trails" are regular still digital photographs taken from the indicated trails.

Below is a picture of me coming around the most dangerous turn on Black Bear. It's not really a difficult trail for short wheelbase vehicles such as ours.

lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

yay i have found out from work that i can make the dates posted but only for the first few days but its beter than nothing
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

That is good news. :cool:
"LJsRME"
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

its wonderful news :cool: i cant wait to see u guys again it will be a great time :beer:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Next question:

When does everyone plan to arrive? Per the "getting ready" thread, we will not be there until Monday morning, as we are taking the Durango Silverton train on Sunday. This rules out a long trip for us on Monday (i.e. Alpine Loop, Black Bear Pass), and bring our first day at high altitude, rules out any hiking. If others are planning to arrive Monday, we can plan a couple of shorter runs (i.e. Eureka Gulch, drive up to Animas Forks) that day as people arrive.

The meet is only a month away! Hopefully by now everyone has at least a pretty good idea of their plans. Please post up what day you expect to be there, what day you are leaving, and if you aren't going to be there the whole week, post up any "must do" runs for you. I'd hate to have someone show up on Wednesday morning, really wanting to do Black Bear Pass, and finding out we did it on Tuesday!
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

We plan to leave early Saturday morning and be there either Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.
We plan to stay thru Friday, if Alice can take the altitude..
I have no "must do's", we'll take it as it comes.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Lift-Dr
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by Lift-Dr »

We have been told to drink lots of fluids when at high altitudes to help with altitude sickness. This is from my inlaws who swear by doing it, they bounce around between Texas, Colorado, Kentucky and Aruba so they have lots of altitude changes to deal with. We plan to get there Sunday evening and stay all week if youall don't run my sami off for being so ugly. Mel
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Hey I deal with a lot of altitude changes at work, maybe I should take up drinking on the job :)
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

I presently have the engine/tranny out of both Miss Alice and Miss Iowa. Was going to do an upper engine workover on Miss Alice's but started hearing bad things about place I was planning to let bore for o/s pistons. Decided to just swap engines with Miss Iowa as she came with a leaky front tranny seal and needed pulled anyway. Had purchased parts earlier from Stevec except new clutch disk.

Have a disk that measures new which came with the LJ I bought last year after the SD Meet. Found it in an lidless ice chest setting in the bed so it had set in rain water for awhile. Metal parts cleaned up ok and tech folks at Raybestos told me today water should not have hurt the lining. It is the best one of the 4 I have so will use it.

Very hot here, overnight lows high 80"s so do not get a lot done each day.

Our plans - To show up at meet probably on Monday a.m. If Miss Alice helps me in getting herself back together and running ok she can come along. If not, we will come w/o her and visit some and then go into south Utah north Arizona and take a regular vacation. Right now I am betting on Miss Alice.
"LJsRME"