Meet Location

July 18-22, 2011, near Silverton, CO

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Meet Location

Post by stevec »

We talked a bit about the 2011 meet at the South Dakota meet this year, and a number of people (myself included) talked about having it in Colorado again next year. I believe it was Tom who asked about Idaho as well. Personally, I am open to either: Idaho is closer to me (within a day's drive), but farther for others to come, and Colorado was one of my favorite meets as well, and with our transmission issues that trip (not to be confused with the transmission issues in South Dakota! :wink: ) we missed out on a lot of things we had planned to do that trip.

If we do Colorado again, I would propose staying at the Eureka site again. Silverton is only a few miles away via dirt road, so those wanting more amenities could stay there. There are lots of trails around there, including quite a few shorter ones that we could do in a day (I'll want to drive the Alpine Loop, but not necessarily during the meet itself.)

Idaho has lots of places to explore as well, including some neat ghost towns, and is lower in elevation, which means less worry about rejetting carbs, etc. Hotel accomodations would be easy, as Boise is a decent sized city, and there are plenty of camping options around there, either dry camping or with hookups.

Please post up your preferences here; I'd like to get this nailed down in the next couple of months so we can start planning! :D
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: Meet Location

Post by stevec »

I must have messed up copying permissions when I set this up, as apparently no one could access it. You should be able to see and post here now! :D
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Either Idaho or Colorado would be fine. Travel time is an issue for some so being kind of retired we will wait and see what best fits the needs of others. As the dates of the meet can also be an issue, sometimes moving the dates just a day or two one way or the other can determine whether someone gets to go.

Can't wait.

Myers
"LJsRME"
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Where's a good site to get trail info for CO? Anyone up for some Holy Cross action if it's close enough? :twisted:
A legend in my own mind.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

tweeder wrote:Where's a good site to get trail info for CO? Anyone up for some Holy Cross action if it's close enough? :twisted:
I've haven't done the Holy Cross trail itself, but I've been through the area. It's too far north of Silverton to be part of that trail network, but I understand there are many more trails around there, so it might be a good destination. Especially if you're into old mines and ghost towns.

Tom
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Heh, from what I understand, Holy Cross MAY be a little bit too extreme for this crowd. I got some wheelin' buddies both from CO and that go there every year. Gonna see if they have or know of a real good trail guidebook.
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I think Charles Wells wrote a CO trails book, similar to the Moab book. Holy Cross is rated 8-9 out of 10, so I doubt we could get through it without some vehicle damage.

Edit - he did: http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read a couple of trip reports, that describe rigs with lockers F/R needing to winch through certain parts, so I think we should pass on this one, in the LJ's at least.

There are quite a few trails down by Silverton and Ouray, certainly enough to keep us busy for a week. Two "must do's" for me are Black Bear Pass and the Alpine Loop. PoughKeepsie gulch looks fun - a bit more challenging, but nothing our LJ's can't handle. I've still got the maps and info from the 2005 meet; I can see what else is in the area.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

stevec wrote:I think Charles Wells wrote a CO trails book, similar to the Moab book.
There are quite a few trails down by Silverton and Ouray, certainly enough to keep us busy for a week. Two "must do's" for me are Black Bear Pass and the Alpine Loop. PoughKeepsie gulch looks fun - a bit more challenging, but nothing our LJ's can't handle. I've still got the maps and info from the 2005 meet; I can see what else is in the area.
I have that book, it is very well written.

I agree, the Holy Cross trail would be too extreme for most of us stockers, but there are other trails in the area.

Black Bear Pass is great fun, if you don't have a problem with driving on a very narrow road on the face of a cliff, with tight switchbacks :shock: To quote C.W. McCall, "Mary Elizibeth drew a picture of the road, and it looked like a whole bunch of Z's and W's all strung together..." There used to be a sign at the top of the pass that said: "You don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps". The biggest problem with that trail is that it is one-way, (for good reason) and once you get to Telluride, it's a long roadtrip back around to Silverton.
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

SuzukiTom wrote:Black Bear Pass is great fun, if you don't have a problem with driving on a very narrow road on the face of a cliff, with tight switchbacks :shock: To quote C.W. McCall, "Mary Elizibeth drew a picture of the road, and it looked like a whole bunch of Z's and W's all strung together..." There used to be a sign at the top of the pass that said: "You don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps". The biggest problem with that trail is that it is one-way, (for good reason) and once you get to Telluride, it's a long roadtrip back around to Silverton.
yikes! might oughta have a stock vehicle for that run (not my locked/spooled Junk, it don't turn.)
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

SuzukiTom wrote:Black Bear Pass is great fun, if you don't have a problem with driving on a very narrow road on the face of a cliff, with tight switchbacks :shock: To quote C.W. McCall, "Mary Elizibeth drew a picture of the road, and it looked like a whole bunch of Z's and W's all strung together..." There used to be a sign at the top of the pass that said: "You don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps". The biggest problem with that trail is that it is one-way, (for good reason) and once you get to Telluride, it's a long roadtrip back around to Silverton.
That would be the same C.W. McCall who later became mayor of Ouray. And I had that cassette tape when I was a kid. :P

I'll have to consult my maps, but I seem to recall that Imogene Pass makes a good return route. That trail ends in Ouray, and I believe it begins very close to Telluride. Thus, we could run Black Bear in the morning, have lunch in/around Telluride, and then come back over Imogene. With some advance planning, we could even drop a tow rig in Telluride, in case someone has a problem or wanted to head out early.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

SuzukiTom wrote:Black Bear Pass is great fun, if you don't have a problem with driving on a very narrow road on the face of a cliff, with tight switchbacks :shock:
Tom – Compared with the first part of Moab’s Poison Spider, + / - ?

Myers
"LJsRME"
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Myers wrote:
SuzukiTom wrote:Black Bear Pass is great fun, if you don't have a problem with driving on a very narrow road on the face of a cliff, with tight switchbacks :shock:
Tom – Compared with the first part of Moab’s Poison Spider, + / - ?

Myers
The trail itself is not really bad, it's the pucker factor that gets you. For the most part, it's all downhill, so gravity gets you through the few small ridges you have to cross. But if you have any doubts about the integrity of your vehicles braking system, it can be downright scary.

There's another route back to Silverton, and it's over Ophir Pass (CO 145). It's 26 miles by that route. I haven't done the Imogene Pass route, But I believe that it's more difficult (fun) then Ophir Pass. I was thinking pavement only on the return trip.
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Sometime after Moab I got to thinking about the 37 year old flexible brake lines on Miss Alice. Maybe I will change them before the next meet.

Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I will have some new ones with me, as well as other brake parts, and a quart of brake fluid. That said, I will also be carefully checking the brakes on whichevere LJ's I bring next spring, not long before we leave for the meet!
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

i say MOAB again it was a fun place :) thats my choice i think we should have a poll again :)
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

SuzukiTom wrote:There's another route back to Silverton, and it's over Ophir Pass (CO 145). It's 26 miles by that route. I haven't done the Imogene Pass route, But I believe that it's more difficult (fun) then Ophir Pass. I was thinking pavement only on the return trip.
After looking at maps, I think Ophir Pass might be better. Going over Black Bear and returning via Imogene Pass would make for a very long day. Ophir is shorter and easier, so we could be back in camp at a more reasonable hour. We would pass through Silverton both ways, so it would be even easier for those staying in town.
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

looks like I won't make it again :-( plan is that I'll be deployed in May and not back in Canada till December
nickademusss
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nickademusss »

I live in Provo Utah, so Moab would be my first pick :cool: Its got great scenery!
Most terrifying words in the English language are " I'm from the government and I am here to help"
:Ronald Reagen
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Moab is great, but we were just there last year for the '09 meet. Silverton is only a few hours drive from Moab, so it wouldn't be too much farther for you.
nickademusss
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by nickademusss »

sounds good to me, I hope my work keeps me out here...
Most terrifying words in the English language are " I'm from the government and I am here to help"
:Ronald Reagen
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

nickademusss wrote:sounds good to me, I hope my work keeps me out here...
yes... and that you get to keep your work wherever it is.
"LJsRME"
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

so is there a a set place yet?? is it silverton??
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

lj20Colorado wrote:so is there a a set place yet?? is it silverton??
Will let stevec answer that. Do hope you and your dad can make it. Will be about the same distance as Moab was for you guys.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The plan right now is Silverton again. I'm waiting to hear back on next year's Relic Run, to see if I can do both in the same trip.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I'll be there whenever/wherever it is.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.