Who all is home safe?

June 29 - July 1, in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Moderator: stevec

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Who all is home safe?

Post by Smuz »

Smuz, Alice and Mouser are home safe. After the parrot gave kisses and was REALLY glad to see us, he wants to know where the hell we were and why we didn't take him. Prolly be a few days before he gets over it.

Everybody post up when they get home, so's I don't worry too much.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Who all is home safe?

Post by Myers »

Got home about 3 pm today (July 4) with no problems except a couple of grumpy remarks Sat. to/from each other so stopped and got a room in N. Platte, NB. Did not make good time yesterday due to being tired from Mt. Rushmore trip the in the LJ the previous day. Lots of rain and cool while driving today.

Miles driven - 1,944 mostly mind-numbing on the GMC and a lot of fun ones on Miss Alice the LJ20
"LJsRME"
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Just made it home to Sweetwater TX, with the return trip being uneventful, after 2100 round-trip miles. Looks like our area got a little weather, with localized flooding north of us, but only a couple of inches of rain at our home base.

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We got home about 5pm local time yesterday. No rain at all until we were literally 1.5 miles from the house, then it started drizzling. The neighbors were all out in the street having a party, so I just backed the truck/trailer into the driveway, grabbed a cup, and headed over to the keg. (We have a great brewery here in Snoqualmie, and our neighborhood always has a keg of one of their beers). Rain let up around 7:00, then started back up around 10:00, a bit harder this time. We didn't get a chance to set off all of the fireworks we bought in Montana on the way home, but did shoot a nice "finale" of 22 - 500g mortars. :D

Total miles driven in truck (not including those on the tow truck): 2397
Total miles driven in RHD LJ10 (I assume Cheez Whiz is similar): 205 (107 on Friday)
Gas used in RHD LJ10: somewhere between 7 and 8 gallons (haven't actually filled it up yet)
Gas used in truck: I really don't want to know.

Sounds like the Tweedys are the only ones not home yet, and I know they weren't planning to be home for awhile (He was looking at that LJ20 over the weekend)
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

BTW, I talked to the girls yesterday as we pulled into the driveway - they were about 70 miles east of Reno (170 from Grandma's house), so they should be home as of last night too. Haven't called yet this morning - they drove 1400 miles in 2 days, so I'm sure they are all tired.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:Sounds like the Tweedys are the only ones not home yet, and I know they weren't planning to be home for awhile (He was looking at that LJ20 over the weekend)
AFAIK, they weren't planning on being here until tomorrow evening.
A legend in my own mind.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

AND I just got off the phone with Dad. They're "broke down" just a few miles into Iowa from the north side. Lost a wheel bearing on the travel trailer. Being as there is NOBODY open today, they're stuck there for the night until he can get parts and be back on the road in the morning. It'll be rather late in the evening by the time they pull in.

ANNND.....they're back on the road again. Looks like they may roll in around 2200... or 2000 on left-coast time.
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Bummer about the wheel bearing; I worried about driving home over the holiday for that exact reason. Hope they got home okay!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Myers wrote:..no problems except a couple of grumpy remarks Sat. to/from each other...
Sorry, but I just cannot picture either of you being grumpy. You are truly two of the nicest people I've met.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Looks like we picked the right week to have the meet this year. Weather was nice and sunny, highs probably in the low 80's. We had a brief thunderstorm Thursday evening, and another Friday afternoon, but that was it. It was hot in Rapid City, low to mid 90's every day, but it was cooler up in the hills. In contrast, the expected high in Rapid City is only 65* today, with showers, which means it would probably be in the 50's up where we were.

BTW, our total mileage for the trip was 2,391 in the truck. We used a total of about 214 gallons of diesel, so our mileage was a little over 11. Best tank was 12.1, worst was 10.3 (coming west thru Montana, with that headwind). Maybe next year I'll just drive the LJ to the meet!
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

The folks rolled in about 20 minutes ago.
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Glad to hear they made it home. So when are you going back for that LJ20?
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

Road trip july 23-25 for the parts lj tub is in bad shape but windshield frame is good as well as the engin gear boxes and axles & hud drums. but I have seen people driving tubs that are in worse shape than this one. It does have a full rool cage I like what I got but don't look foreward to the trip back to get it.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Tweedy bird wrote:Road trip july 23-25 for the parts lj tub is in bad shape but windshield frame is good as well as the engin gear boxes and axles & hud drums. but I have seen people driving tubs that are in worse shape than this one. It does have a full rool cage I like what I got but don't look foreward to the trip back to get it.
I think the Tweeder needs a beater :wink:
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

tweeder wrote:I think the Tweeder needs a beater :wink:
Umm, I think Dad needs a new windshield frame. Tweeder gets whatever is left after Dad picks it over! :wink:
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:
tweeder wrote:I think the Tweeder needs a beater :wink:
Umm, I think Dad needs a new windshield frame. Tweeder gets whatever is left after Dad picks it over! :wink:
EXACTLY!!! I don't need no steenking windshield!
A legend in my own mind.