Getting ready for the meet...

June 29 - July 1, in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Moderator: stevec

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Getting ready for the meet...

Post by Smuz »

OK, here's where we post up the trials and tribulations involved in getting ready for this year's meet. I'll start.

Mouser:
1. Change oil and check other fluids.
2. Check plugs.
3. Mount the Samurai License plate (shhhhhhhh!)

Wilson:
1. Replace expansion chamber.
2. Adjust and bleed brakes and find out where the hell the fluid went this winter.
3. fix loose seat spring.
4. Mount ammo box in bed.
5. Replace transfer case mounts.
6. Install electronic ignition.
7. Clean and adjust carb (time permitting).
8. Put spare tire and mount back on.

Xena, the amazing purple pig:
1. Oil change
2. Clean that filthy interior.
3. Check tire pressures.

Trailer:
1. Go get in from my son.
2. Mount license plate from 5th wheel (another shhhhh!)
3. check tire pressure and bearings.

Not a bad list at all this year. Lessee what the rest of youse is dealing with.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Getting ready for the meet...

Post by Sluggo »

What are you using for an expansion chamber?

What ammo box are you using? We got an 81mm ammo box for Vic's 80. I have been hoping that I could find something just a little bigger that would still fit.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Using the original expansion chamber out of Mouser.

The ammo box is about 2 foot square and about 10" deep. Picked it up at a surplus store around 1970. They prolly don't have any more.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Well, I'd like to fix the front bumper that I bent at Moab, and maybe fix the exhaust leak I also acquired in Moab too.
Otherwise, we're good to go! :D

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
mrmachz
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by mrmachz »

I have mine in a million pieces!!! My frame off restoration is dragging out a little longer than I hoped. Say a prayer for me please!!! lol
jim
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

mrmachz wrote:I have mine in a million pieces!!! My frame off restoration is dragging out a little longer than I hoped. Say a prayer for me please!!! lol
Are there even a million peices on an LJ? Just kidding, mine has no hope of moving under it's own power for the meet. I grew up in Fargo-Moorhead, and both my Dad and I will be attending at least part of the meet. Look forward to meeting you.

Troy
1972 LJ20 - under construction (33" BFG MTs, Samurai axles, t-case, and transmission, 1.6 VW diesel)
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

My list is fairly short:

Camper: Replace batteries. They wouldn't even last a day over Memorial Day weekend. Wait a minute, we have hookups at the CG. Never mind.

Trailer: good to go.

RHD: Mount a 12V plug, so I can run the ARB fridge on the trail.

LHD: (named "Cheez Whiz" last year, from the color): Drive it around to break in the new engine, and hope everything works. I idled it for about an hour to bleed the oil lines, but far it has less than 2 actual driving miles on the new engine.

I'm more worried about my checklist for the Whipsaw run - I have only two weekends before we leave for SD, and Whipsaw is the weekend after we get back. Still need to paint the canopy, weld the exhaust on the LJ81, mount the winch, and mount a 12V plug in the back for the fridge.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

mrmachz wrote:I have mine in a million pieces!!! My frame off restoration is dragging out a little longer than I hoped. Say a prayer for me please!!! lol
Three weeks, ya better hurry, bud.
mrmachz
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by mrmachz »

Yeah, I am a little behind. If anybody is bored and would like to come to West Fargo Nd for reassembly this weekend, the fridge is full of beer!!!! :beer: :whiskey: lol
jim
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

I just spoke with my Dad and he suggested taking his '46 Willy's CJ2A instead of my cherokee. It is slightly highway challenged, but I imagine the other LJs are as well. It is stock running gear, and dressed up to look like an army jeep.

We'll be arriving late Monday night and staying for the Tuesday and Wednesday runs. It didn't look like we were going to be able to make it, but everything is coming together.

The couple days prior to the meet, I'll be helping him build another shed ('30x40, I think), so my other LJs will be able to sit inside from now on.

As a note for those coming from the west on I-90, you'll want to peel off the interstate at exit 10 and take the spearfish canyon scenic byway. It leads right to silver city, so it isn't out of the way. In my opinion, it is the most scenic part of SD.
http://www.spearfishcanyon.com/index1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roughlock falls picnic area is a nice stop and you can walk up underneath the falls if you are adventurous. 1/4 mile down the road from there is where they shot scenes from the movie Dancing with Wolves.
http://www.spearfishcanyon.com/intermap.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1972 LJ20 - under construction (33" BFG MTs, Samurai axles, t-case, and transmission, 1.6 VW diesel)
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Glad to hear you can make it Troy, can't wait to meet you!

Define "highway challenged"... My LJ's do just fine on the highway, as long as I don't ask them to go over 50mph!

We are planning to arrive Monday afternoon/evening. I had seen the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway, and we are planning to take it on Monday. We're hoping to get somewhere in Wyoming Sunday night, so Monday will be a more relaxing drive.
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

In the spirit of the thread "Getting Ready for the meet", I picked up a 4.10 geared front, 4.10 geared rear w/locker, and rear disc brakes for my cherokee. I told the wife I needed them for the meet. I've been thinking about doing it for a couple years anyhow.

It'll be more of an LJ like experience in the Willy's anyway. I really think my Dad is getting excited about this. It surprised me he wanted to take his Willy's with. He only uses it to travel between their house and lake cabin (less than 1/2 mile), even though it is licensed.

There is no roll cage or seatbelts, so we'll be taking it easy.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Been busy but about ready here.
DONE - Miss Alice - cleaned oil tank and hooked up oil indicator light (for first time since I owned it), made and used instrument to test oil flow, annual new brake fluid with brake adjust, new seals in T-case and rear tranny, annual gear lube change all around, new speedo cable, new rear drive shaft, made/installed new shifter bushing to replace the one soaked in oil due to leaking rear tranny seal, repaired emergency front lights, new battery, am also sporting/testing new non-metalic two stage reeds which I will tell you about after I see how they do (verified tow strap was still on board).

TO DO - clean low speed carb jet and new spark plugs for Miss Alice, annual bearings/seals on trailer, grease job on tow vehicle.

Leaving the 26th with one night somewhere between here and there.

Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I think I can safely say that Pat & Stephen's LJ20 is ready... They've been gone for over a month, touring Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. As of last weekend they had put over 200 miles on their LJ20, with no problems (except it doesn't idle well, but that should be an easy fix.) Spoke to mom again today - they are in Yellowstone, and drove over 100 miles today, including some steep passes (she said the shoulders are the perfect width for an LJ going slow up a hill!)

I did remember that I need to replace the gear oil in the RHD, due to a couple of deep water crossings over Memorial Day weekend. Also still need to drive Cheez Whiz around a bit, but it looks like we have some t-storms coming in, so that'll have to wait another day or two.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Well, I got the front bumper done, I decided the original wasn't really worth fixing, so I just built a new one. Made a CB antenna mount, too. So unless something happens, we're ready to leave!

I've been watching the weather for the meeting location, and its been raining there just about every day! Might turn into a real mud run!

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I put a 12V plug in the RHD over the weekend, so it's ready to go. I have a hand held CB that I'll plug into it - it doesn't transmit far, but should be good enough for our group. I can also run the ARB fridge off it, so we'll have cold drinks all day! :D

Drove Cheez Whiz around a bit on Saturday, couldn't get it over 30mph. It was only running on one cylinder. Turns out I had a bad spark plug in #2 - when I swapped another one in, it ran much better. Still only put about 10 miles on it Saturday, but I ran some errands in it, and got the speedo up to 50mph on level ground, so it should be good. The only spare plug I had at the time was a B8HS, and it fouled a few times, but I picked up some spares, so I can swap a B7HS in before I go, and it should be fine. I think I have the oil pump adjusted up a bit too, to make sure everything was well lubed when I was bleeding the lines, and there's only about 1/2 a tank of gas in it, including a little 30:1 premix, so I think that is contributing to the fouling of the plug. I'll try to drive it a bit more, and top off the tank before I leave.

Looks like temps will be in the mid 70's - low 80's, but we could have some showers or thunderstorms there this year, so everyone please come prepared!
redsnodog
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by redsnodog »

We are extremely bummed out to report that Carol can absolutely NOT get the last 3 days of school off so we are now unable to join you guys.We pulled all strings but there are just too many others off already.We are going to miss you guys, can't wait to see pics.Got to talk about next meet's dates. All the best ...........Jim and Carol
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

redsnodog wrote:...... Carol can absolutely NOT get the last 3 days of school off so we are now unable to join you guys......
:-(
Myers
"LJsRME"
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Problems - Miss Alice (LJ20) has started acting up the past few days and is getting sicker each time I drive her. A couple of days ago I notice what I thought was an intermittent miss at higher speeds. Also noticed hesitation when giving her the gas at slow speeds. She starts up like a dream, idles great, and earier this afternoon would get up to +70 kph on flat road it I did not hit the gas all at once. She has Pertronix kit and Pertronix coil. Installed new reeds and battery in past few weeks in prep for the meet. Since she started acting up have changed plugs, dist cap, rotor, switched coil wire and plug wires with another that runs great. Checked fuel filter on the electric fuel pump, ran pump with bowl plug out of carb – do not know how much pump is supposed to pump but it pumped more than the LJ should be able to burn but still seemed to be a little low on volume. Used spray carb cleaner and air on carb innards, just got in from cleaning wire connections on ignition switch, took her for a test drive and it is worse yet. Did change where I buy gas recently due to the previous place starting selling gas with ethanol It seems I can make it some better by choking it just a little.
First thing tomorrow I am going to install a new elect fuel pump.
Question: Does anyone know if there is a screen on the pickup tube in the gas tank. She has a full tank of gas but thinking of draining it and using air to blow back to the tank.

This is our ride for the meet in Dakota. Have two more LJ20s, Miss Iowa runs great but has leaking front seal on tranny ie: slipping clutch. Miss Arizona I won’t put on the trails.

Will keep you posted before I start canceling the reservations that can be canceled.
Myers.
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Oh crap. Gawd, I hope you can make it. Get to work on that little thing. Do a compression check first and make sure that the cylinders are ok.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Jim and Carol,

Sorry you cannot make it - I was looking forward to seeing you two again. I'll wear my "Bouwman Enterprises" hat, so you'll be there in spirit.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:Jim and Carol,

Sorry you cannot make it - I was looking forward to seeing you two again. I'll wear my "Bouwman Enterprises" hat, so you'll be there in spirit.
Yeah, what he said. I'll wear my nifty hat also. (I been keeping it for Sunday, cause it's so cool)
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Larry,

The meet is next week, so this is usually about the time LJ's start acting up (must be something about riding on a trailer for long distances?) There is not a screen on the pickup tube in the tank, but there is supposed to be a screen in the banjo fitting on the carb.

I didn't pack a compression tester, so you should probably do that before you leave, but it doesn't sound to me like that is the problem. If it is, I would attribute it to those new reeds you put in before looking at pistons/rings. Are the new plugs fouled at all? Any wobble in the distributor? I assume the timing is still set?

Even if you can't get it running good, bring it to the meet anyway! Our collective brains should get it going!
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

Use that electric pump to pull a high volume of gas thru the line. Might just have a lot of scale in there.
Don't ask how I know... :wink:
This is retirement?
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Not on the road again
Alice the LJ keeps getting more sicker again
Thinking South Dakota ain’t going to see us again
Had already done what friends recommended when their post came in.

Not on the road again.
Was back at the shop before three a.m.
Checked the new reeds then put more new in.
Then pulled the carburetor and went thorough it again

Not on the road again.
Trucked to town once and then done it again.
Thinking O’Reilly’s fuel pump might be doing me in.
But a new one didn’t help so I must have been wrong again.

Not on the road again.
Now thinking what reservations I might cash in
Us two gonn’a be sitting dead in hot Oklahoma again
So if I’ve been that bad Lord I promise not to do it again

Now we are on the road again.
Had done most things once and most again.
Then pulled the Pertronix and gave Alice her points back in.
And that's all it took to be ready to get on the road again.

Sorry bout all of that but it has been a very, very long day.
See you there if you can get on the road again.
Thanks Smuz, Stevec, and Russ
Jim and Carol, we will have a picture with at least 3 cool hats.
"LJsRME"