Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway

June 29 - July 1, in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway

Post by stevec »

My family and I are planning to go to Mt. Rushmore while we are there. There is a ~70 mile scenic byway down there that we were planning to drive. When I looked through the AAA maps, they mention that a few of the tunnels are only 8-9 feet wide, and only around 12' tall, so taking my camper or mom's motorhome is out of the question. Thus, we are planning to just take the LJ's down there for the day.

Is anyone else interested in joining us for this? It's about 25 miles down there, so about 125-150 miles total for the day, and it appears to all be paved, so it isn't the traditional LJ run, but if the weather is decent, it would be a fun way to see the sights. I read a quote that said the Byway should be driven at 20mph or less to fully appreciate it, so we shouldn't be holding up traffic! As many of you know from Moab, I like to take my time, so I expect to spend a good portion of the day down there.

We're tentatively planning to do this Friday (after the meet), but thought I'd mention it beforehand, in case others want to join us. If everyone wants to go, we can go there earlier in the week.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Re: Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway

Post by Tweedy bird »

Count the Birds in.
SDZuk
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by SDZuk »

Wonderful drive for sure. I have rescued vehicles on that road more than once. I used to drive a tow truck.

It is paved and very scenic and winds all over the place.

Even tho is paved the twistys will be a hoot in an LJ.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Just added another day to our reservations, nights of 28th, 29th, 30th, 1st AND 2nd so as to keep the Scenic Byway option open. Sounds like fun. If it does not happen we can look around some more.
Have made a few 80 mile days locally picking up stuff without really going anywhere.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

150 miles a day in an LJ isn't so bad, especially since we'll probably be stopping a lot to take pictures (and stretch our legs!) The main thing is to make sure your LJ is in good running condition. If your brakes go out, or the engine dies, and you are 40 miles from camp, it's a lot more difficult than if something happens two miles from camp!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude