Post by Myers »

That is great news to hear.
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Who is going to the 2010 meet?

Post by Smuz »

redsnodog wrote:Hi everyone! Wow it has been a while.Carol and I and our lj10 would love to join you guys.Sorry we missed Moab sounds like it was awesome Anyway, count 2 people and 1 lj10.
That's awesome news. Looking forward to seeing you two again.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Glad to see you back Jim!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

UPDATE: I talked to a couple of guys on the Black Hills 4-Wheelers board, and they have a couple of Zuk drivers that want to come and join us (and show us around the trails). One of them even has an LJ10! I've looked through the existing FS maps, as well as the proposed trail map (not approved yet, but this should be very close to the final version) and there are a lot of trails around Silver City that should be open. There is a campground near there called Whispering Pines, the website is http://www.blackhillscampresort.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I spoke to Kelly there this morning; they are just getting ready to open for the season, and have plenty of availability for the week we will be there. They have RV and tent sites, as well as one and two room cabins to rent.

From the website, cabins are $39-$44 per night, and RV sites are $28-$30 based on two people (extra persons $5/night each). Tent sites are $20 per night.

Note: They have another group of four wheelers there the week before us. If you arriving Saturday (June 26) or later, you should be fine; I'm not sure about earlier than then, as I don't know how big this group is. When you call please tell them you are with lj10.com, as I will specify this when I make my reservations (probably later today).
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

What are the official days of the meet? We're getting ready to set up our reservations.

Thanks,

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The "official" meet is Tuesday - Thursday, June 29 - July 1st. I've reserved sites for myself and my parents for five nights total: we'll get there Monday afternoon, and leave Saturday morning. We're planning to spend one day down at Mt. Rushmore, probably Friday, but that may depend on the weather. It'll be all pavement, but we're planning to take the LJ's, as the tunnels on the scenic byway are too narrow for the motorhome or my truck.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

BTW, we are in sites 11 and 12 (there's a map of the campground on their website). There is a large grassy area next to site 12 where we can meet and have the potluck.

Larry, the cabins are fairly rustic, they sound a lot like the cabins at Slickrock. If you want something more, they have a Holiday Rambler you can rent that is fully furnished, or you can get a hotel room in one of the nearby towns. Rapid City looks like it is the closest, about 15 miles away. Hill City is around 20 miles away. This is the only lodging I could find in Silver City: http://happytrailscabins.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Looks like we'll be renting a cabin at Happy Trails Cabins. It's only 4.5 miles from meeting site, and the rates seem quite reasonable. We should be arriving Sunday afternoon, and be leaving Friday.

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

Reservatons for two at blackhills camping resort made Tweedy bird, Little bird & one LJ 20 arriving monday afternoon leaving following monday. Got to stay for the fireworks display at Mt. Rushmore :D See ya'll there.
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

We also will be at the Happy Trails Cabins. Just made reservations 11:50 pm okie time and I am glad as they only have 5 or so cabins. Pictures look good and Rita the owner says they are clean.
Winnie, Miss Alice (LJ20) , and I will be staying nights of June 28 thru July 1.
Thanks Steve for the tip on Happy Trails. Thanks Tom for the PM

Larry and Winnie Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Excellent! So that's six rigs and 12 people with confirmed reservations so far.
redsnodog
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by redsnodog »

We made our reservations today!Unfortunately there is still a possibility Carol won't get the time off school bus driving.School here isn't finished till the end of June.We are doing everything we can but we still won't know till the last minute.Here's hopin' and prayin' !
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

OK, here is a thought (hole card) for Carol. Print out pictures from the web site including group pictures, camp pictures and pictures from the trails and take them to the School Administration folks. Advise them in a most mannerly voice that if she does not get to make the meet, then this same group of fanatics of various reputations and from various places will move their meet from South Dakota to Garson, Manitoba for the purpose of camping out on school property and transporting the children to and from school in little old 4WD vehicles in various states of restoration. She can also tell them not to worry as there is no alcohol allowed on the trails, only immediately before and after.

Sure hope you two make it.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Be sure to also mention that a fair percentage of these fanatics have been eligible for social security for some time... :wink:
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

Hey Steve,

Having not been to an organized meet of this type before, what does the itinerary typically look like. I realize the trail maps are not set in stone. Are you going to have morning and afternoon rides with lunch breaks back at the campgrounds? When would the morning rides typically leave? I'm hoping my Dad and I will be there on Tuesday morning, and leave Thursday morning. So, hopefully full days Tuesday and Wednesday.

The reason I ask is my primary daycare provider (sister-in-law) is having a baby any day now and so my wife and I will be taking care of our two kids while juggling full time jobs. I think I've convinced my Mom to take a little vacation and care for the kids, while my Dad and I come to the meet. I would however like to maximize time amongst Ljs and owners, while minimizing time away from home (ie..keeping the wife happy).

Thanks,
Troy
1972 LJ20 - under construction (33" BFG MTs, Samurai axles, t-case, and transmission, 1.6 VW diesel)
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Troy,

I am not familiar enough with the trails to know how long they are, but I always recommend bringing lunch out on the trail (you never know what might happen.) We usually leave camp between 9:00 and 10:00am, and are back by 4:00 or 5:00. I like the idea of short trail rides, coming back to camp for lunch, but am not sure if we can accomodate that within these trails. If there are some shorter trails in the area, we may do one all day run (i.e. Wednesday), and do a couple of short trails Tuesday, so if you can't get there until lunchtime, you can still go out on the afternoon run.
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

Thanks, that sounds good.

I'm still expecting to drive my mildly modified cherokee and follow along on the trails, but I'm trying to convince my Dad to trailer his '46 CJ2A and do the trails with that instead. I figured it would fit in better with the LJs.
1972 LJ20 - under construction (33" BFG MTs, Samurai axles, t-case, and transmission, 1.6 VW diesel)