2010 Meet Location

June 29 - July 1, in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Moderator: stevec

Where do you want to have the 2010 LJ Meet?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Black Hills area of South Dakota
55%
Somewhere in Idaho
No votes
Oregon Dunes NRA
9%
Tillamook State Forest, Oregon
36%

Total votes: 11
SDZuk
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Re: 2010 Meet Location

Post by SDZuk »

Let me see what we can do both in the Hills and Badlands.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:Don't tell them about Smuz then! :wink:
:Flip:
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:
SDZuk wrote:If I could present a proposal to the head Ranger of the Badlands National Monument of a group of adult, responsible folks
Don't tell them about Smuz then! :wink:
Mom's talking about sending me in her place.....ya'll are screwed. :))):
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

tweeder wrote:Mom's talking about sending me in her place.....ya'll are screwed. :))):
:ohno:

Better get working on that rollcage!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

went wheeling last saturday. had to add weight to MY side, once! :ohno:
A legend in my own mind.
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

just watching the exchange $USD to $Cdn, I like what I see :D

might just be able to buy some more LJ goodies
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

and if that useless clown in our White House keeps it up, you're gonna like the exchange rate even more.....right up until prices make the corresponding leap.
A legend in my own mind.
mrmachz
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by mrmachz »

Hi guys. I lived in Rapid for several years and I was still a member of the blackhills4wheelers till last year. I go back several times a year to go wheeling and have several friends out there including myself that would help in any way possible. The club uses a campground outside of Rapid for the challenges that is really nice to camp at and a great place to go wheeling from. The area is so full of awesome things to do for families that its incredible. I think its a awesome place to have a meet and you can definitely count me and my family in!!!!!!
jim
SDZuk
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by SDZuk »

If you can get an in on a campground that would be great that was what I was having trouble with.
Vagabond
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Vagabond »

Does anyone know anything about the Wyoming side of the Black Hills? Far from touristy, It's practically uninhabited.
troy
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by troy »

I've been through most highways in eastern Wyoming and it is nice. There really aren't particular destination places unless you make it all the way west to Yellowston/Tetons.

Eastern Wyoming is much like Eastern colorado. Lots of ranches, and cowboys. Bighorn National Forest by the Sheridan/Buffalo area was nice, but is a little far away from where the meet is. I'm hoping to make a little extra time after the meet to head to spearfish, SD near the Wyoming border. It is a beautiful area and has great scenic drives.
1972 LJ20 - under construction (33" BFG MTs, Samurai axles, t-case, and transmission, 1.6 VW diesel)
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

We moved back to Oklahoma from Lance Creek, WY in 1947. I was about half way through the 1st. grade. Move was sudden, like dad meeting me in front of the school in the family car saying "go in there and tell your teacher this was your last day". Don’t know for sure but think mom might have given dad the ultimatum. Winnie and I were the only family members to go back and we waited until 2006 to do so while on the way to the Rushmore, Custer, Deadwood and Spearfish areas. Lance Creek had shrunk from about 4000 population down to a Post Office, school, part time convenience store and a metal building owned by an oil company. Visited the school (now an office trailer) and they had about as many teachers as they did students which I believe was five. School people said they would always have school there as long as there were children in the district due to it being too far to bus them to other schools.
I really liked it there with the pasture grass being about 2 inches high which let the pretty rocks show themselves. Winnie said she now understood why mom did not. Wish mom and dad were alive today as they might finally now be ready to talk about it.
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

The meet will be held at the Whispering Pines Campground, near Silver City, SD. The actual location is where Silver City Road meets Hwy 385. There are many trails in the immediate area, so this campground will make a great staging area.

We are in sites 11 and 12, arriving Monday June 28th. There are a total of four cabins, two are 2-room cabins, and the other two are 1-room cabins. Our sites are next to the 2-room cabins, as there is a large grassy area next to #12, which will make a good meeting/potluck area. The cabins have beds and electricity, but no other amenities (bring your own sheets/sleeping bags). They also have a fully self-contained trailer for rent, that includes linens, dishes, etc., and a 3 bedroom vacation house that rents by the night. The 1-room cabins are on the other side of the grounds, but the campground isn't very big, so it would still be a short walk. Here is a map of the campground: http://www.blackhillscampresort.com/sitemap.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you make reservations, please mention that you are with lj10.com, as they will try to keep our group together.
SDZuk
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by SDZuk »

Good choice on campgrounds. I have not been there in a bit but it is in a nice place.

Sorry I dropped the ball in helping out we have had some health and financial issues causing time to slip away from me.

For the non campers there are several motels within a 20-25 miles radius of there. I have no personal information on pricing and quality but remember tourism is the main business that time of year. Book ahead.

If anyone has any questions about sites to see while in that area, if you want to do the tourist thing, I will try to help.

Here is a good start. http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know how you folks communicate but cell phone coverage in the hills is very very poor due to the terrain.

Also remember to be cautious on blind corners (there are lots) on the narrow gravel roads. Logging trucks are flying low both to and from the saw mills and they are way bigger than you.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Glad to see you back; hope you can join us at the meet!
SDZuk
Dreams of LJs all day
Dreams of LJs all day

Post by SDZuk »

stevec wrote:Glad to see you back; hope you can join us at the meet!
Thanks

Unless I hit the Powerball I doubt we will make it. I have always loved the LJs since I first saw some at a Suzuki motorcycle dealer in the early 70s. I never found one for me but I used to own a 410 pickup that was a treasured vehicle until my son wrecked it. We also owned an 88 Carry that my wife delivered mail with in the Black Hills.

We will try our best to stop and visit. I would love to see the LJs in action.