Date, location

Our first winter meet, this one will be in Arizona in January, 2008!
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Weather is Nice in Arizona

Post by McKFam »

OK I promised you an update and I am sorry but have been commuting to Colorado every week for the past 11 months. I am now done maybe I can get something done at home.

Here I am yesterday. 72 degrees and I am out with my LJ and my 69 Fury III. Doing some clean up and going for a spin. Soooooo How's the weather where you are at? Notice all the clouds in the sky!

I will try and look for a good location in the next few weeks. Sorry I have been slothful but it really has been a crazy year. If we are lucky we will get weather like this next year if this all comes together.

I will try and keep you posted

McKFam
Attachments
Dad Jeep 2 1-26-07 Small.jpg
Dad Jeep 2 1-26-07 Small.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 34007 times
Dad Jeep 1-26-07 Small.jpg
Dad Jeep 1-26-07 Small.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 34006 times
No Other Success can Compensate for Failure in the Home
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

What clouds??? :wink: :pissed:

It is 30F here!!!

Kind of hard to se the LJ or the Fury. I had a 64 Fury Convertible for a short time, bought from a guy that needed money real bad but then 6 months later he won $100,000 from the lottery so he bought it back.
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

Jimny wrote:I had a 64 Fury Convertible for a short time, bought from a guy that needed money real bad but then 6 months later he won $100,000 from the lottery so he bought it back.
You SHOULD have bought a lottery ticket instead of the '64 :))):
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We're finally getting a break on the weather here. Had sun all weekend, with temps in the low 50's. Actually got to work outside quite a bit, and give the furnace a rest. Supposed to stay sunny all week here too, with highs around 50, and lows around 25-30.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

You SHOULD have bought a lottery ticket instead of the '64
On power ball I have only ONCE got one number that matched the winning numbers. So I don't play. Besides I made good money from the guy, he had cash burning a hole in his pocket and I didn't want to sell it...but money (a lot) talks!
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Sorry for the pictures but it was so BRIGHT outside that they washed out. Besides you don't want to see this ugly mug anyway. You can see the sky and that was the whole point. I will get a better picture of the LJ and the Vert.

75 here yesterday. House and Car windows open took a long bike ride. Just absolutely gorgeous! Can you say shorts and T-Shirt?

Rain today but we need it so I won't complain too much.

Keeping Warm

McKFam
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Guys I have not forgotten this. Thinking that I would have more time being home only working part time has been just the opposite. But if you are all still interested I will continue to pursue.

I have signed up on a web site called Riding Arizona. I will be working with them on where a good place would be the 1st week of January for our group. I have some ideas now but these are serious people that do off road 4 wheel riding all the time here in Arizona. So I will see what they come up with. Still mostly nice here but we have had a couple of days where it was just too hot already. 82 or so today. Could use some rain. Pool is back up to 72 now. Kids get in but us whimps, no way!

Sorry that I have not updated you but I have not had time to do many things. Even drive the LJ around much. The summer meet sounds fun but a bit of warmth in January is really nice.

I will keep you updated

McKFam
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

What about Zuks of Arizona? They're Suzuki guys, and I believe some of them run in stock (or nearly stock) Samurai's. They could probably suggest a few good places, and would likely want to join us.

Their website is www.zuksofarizona.com.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Thanks Steve I will check with them. I will be out of town until Thursday so give me until next week.

Thanks for the tip. I was not aware of them.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Were you able to get hold of anyone at ZOA?
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Hello Steve,

Been out of town and quite honestly looking for a job. I am consulting some but need a real job. I am now looking out of state so I may even have to move which throws this whole thing out the window.

Let me try and get a hold of them. I would still love to have all down this way. Not now at it was 112 yesterday and today but January is lovely here. If something does not work out soon I will throw in the white flag. Sorry to let you all down. Just a trying time right now. Let me see what I can do.

Keep the faith all.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Hey all,

Hope your summer trip went well. Looks like a few had not as much fun as others getting there. Sorry to hear that. Wish I could have been there.

I have inquired for places to camp and meet in AZ come January. Just wanted you to know that I am working on this. Be glad you are not here now as it is 116 here. Please send some of the rain you all have to us. We need it.

Will keep you informed

McKFam
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

McKFam wrote:Hey all,

Hope your summer trip went well. Looks like a few had not as much fun as others getting there. Sorry to hear that. Wish I could have been there.

I have inquired for places to camp and meet in AZ come January. Just wanted you to know that I am working on this. Be glad you are not here now as it is 116 here. Please send some of the rain you all have to us. We need it.

Will keep you informed

McKFam
10 months of continuous rain finally stops and now he asks for some !

John
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Yes please send rain. Last rain here was April 21 and we got a whooping 0.05 in. We have had 1.91 in. for the entire year so far. But our "monsoon" season is about to start so maybe just maybe we may get some rain.

Hey all I have asked around now and have a couple of places to check out if you all still want to come to AZ come January. I will look into this further if there is still an interest. Some areas require a state permit. Most areas do not have bathrooms but I am still looking into that. But bottom line is that there are some nice areas and some nice trails that we could use for our get together in Jan. I guess the question is how many are still willing to come to AZ in January. Steve I need to know if you want me to proceed or not. I will and I now have some momentum going but I do not want to start the permit process unless we are really serious.

I know the summer meet is just over and maybe you are all traveled out but AZ is a nice place in January. Some nice desert and mountain trails to explore. A nice break from the snow and cold.

Please let me know your input and direction.

This is my report.

McKFam
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

I can't wait!!!!!! Since I didn't make it to the summer meet I am wanting to go so bad to a meet!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I should be able to make it, but can't take much, if any time off, as I am over-using my vacation this year. My only option would be to fly down and ride with someone, so hopefully these places aren't too terribly far from an airport. :D I'd probably fly down Friday evening and fly home Sunday evening.

What sort of permits are you looking at? We've never needed permits at any of the meets, and always done the "dispersed camping" (free), except this year, where we stayed at a FS campground (mostly due to the grizzly bear activity in the area!)
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Maybe there is an airport on my way there and I can pick you up.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Jimny wrote:Maybe there is an airport on my way there and I can pick you up.
I dunno... I was kinda hoping to rent a car, and test that "optional insurance coverage" at the meet... :twisted:
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

I can pick anyone up at the airport. 25 mins from my home. Also I have a 15 pass van so we can pretend that I am a super shuttle.

OK I see 2 coming so far. Who else? Now what are the dates you want me to look into. We need to get this down soon.

The Fri to Sunday dates would be one of the following

Fri Dec 28 - Sun Dec 30 (New Years is Tuesday)
Fri Jan 4 - Sun Jan 6
Fri Jan 11 - Sun Jan 13

As for permits some areas that are state owned you need to file a permit to be on the land. I have had several people tell me the same thing. Depends on the area. I am looking at several and I would really not like to do that. BUT will if needed.

I am looking at areas as close to the Phoenix area as possible. Actually on the East side as that is where I live.

Let me know

McKFam
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Jimny wrote:Maybe there is an airport on my way there and I can pick you up.
THIS time you get to take him BACK, too!!

BTW: I should make this one.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

Man I'd love to do this, my wife even wants to go back to Phoenix, she was there last winter with her Mom. I just don't know if I can handle the drive, I'm looking at about 26 hours steady driving each way if the roads are good. That and I need to find a truck and trailer too. Might have to just fly out and rent a grand vitara for the weekend. :-)
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Any other interest? Also any input or votes on dates?

Please let me know
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Hey Sluggo: Are you still going to make this one????
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

Jimny wrote:Hey Sluggo: Are you still going to make this one????
I HOPE so! I hate to commit entirely yet. I may have a move in the future. Will keep you posted. My preference for dates would be Fri Jan 11 - Sun Jan 13.

The motorhome held up nicely with few problems along the way (nothing that we couldn't fix)! Just got home last night after 14 days on the road and something close to 4000 miles.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Hope you can make it, would like to meet you.

You are not too far :wink: from the Mini Meet, you ought to come to it!!!