Date, location

Our first winter meet, this one will be in Arizona in January, 2008!
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Warm Winter Meeting??

Post by McKFam »

A thought

You want cooler. Well you have to go very north or high up if you have this meeting in the summer time. Or you could come my way in the winter time.

Kids are all out for Christmas break. Come to Arizona between Christmas and New Years for a break from the snow and cold to sunny Arizona where we get 70's in December. Lots of good desert mountain trails and some very nice nice weather.

Would love to have you all come this way. I have 32 Orange and Grapefruit trees that are yours for the picking in Dec.

McKFam
No Other Success can Compensate for Failure in the Home
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Damn, that's kinda tempting.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

Smuz wrote:Damn, that's kinda tempting.
except that i wont have any vacation time available before New Years... :-(
A legend in my own mind.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

tweeder wrote:
Smuz wrote:Damn, that's kinda tempting.
except that i wont have any vacation time available before New Years... :-(
Yeah. It would really work better for me if it was a year from this Christmas.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Me too; I have my family in town for the second half of December, then we're taking a "recovery" cruise in January. Does sound tempting though!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Actually I was thinking a year from this December. December 2007. I think it is too soon for this December and then everyone could plan for it the entire year.

I'm telling you there is a reason we get 300,000 Snowbirds here in the winter time in their champagne colored Buicks, Olds, Cadys, Lincoln's, etc. Good news is they are not on the mountain trails. Country Buffet , pharmacies and Doctors offices Yes. Out in LJ's and in the desert, No.

Convertible weather in December! Very little if any rain and for those of you that golf lots of that too. (Not cheap)

Think about it.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

I am thinking about it. I like the idea.
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

I'm in. Maybe I could really have something rolling by then as well :!:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Ya'know, it may not be a bad idea to continue having two LJ meets. Have one in the summer and one in the winter.

Having two meets that close together really stretched my resources this year. And it will be worse for me next year.

How about a summer meet and a Christmas meet?

Whatchall think?
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

sounds good. i figure we can make at least one of em :cool:
A legend in my own mind.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Resistance is Futile

Post by McKFam »

Just after Christmas this year I am going to post the weather report of AZ. By then most of you will be in knee deep of snow, ice cold weather or drizzle rain every day. Maybe I will send a picture of me in the driveway working in the sun on the LJ and picking some oranges. Oh and I will let you know the temperature too. I figure that is when you will all succumb and agree. Resistance is futile.

Stay tuned to this post just after Christmas.

McKFam
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

get all hot and sweaty
That part comes later.... in the Sauna. :wink:

Russ
This is retirement?
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

Dec sounds like a possibility to me. Should be getting home in Sep/Oct.

No way to get the LJ going before then. Same excuse as last time...
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

KDKG wrote:Dec sounds like a possibility to me. Should be getting home in Sep/Oct.

No way to get the LJ going before then. Same excuse as last time...
It is December '07... That still gives you over a year!
KDKG
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by KDKG »

Sep/Oct 07 is when I will be getting home. I still have 12 months to go on this tour. Is a 15 month tour, of which I have done 3. Will get home for a visit before then, but the LJ work will be the last thing on my mind...

Now if the LJ was over here with me. I would be spending tons of time on it. But my vehicle over here is a bicycle. I regret not bringing a rover with me. I do have a brand new 06 Ford 1-ton diesel 4x4 dual cab work truck. I have been accused of trying to buff the paint off. It is not often you get assigned a brand new truck, so I want it to stay looking new. Can't drive it off duty though.

For you peeps that get frustrated with your spouse and kids. You really miss frustration when you are away for this long. We call it prison Syndrome. "When I get home, I will do this, this, and this with my family."

But the good news, when I leave here, I will be "retired" military shortly after. The "tired" part is already here.
Home, Retired, and looking like a hippie.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

It sounds like there's quite a bit of interest in a "snowbird" run to Arizona, so let's plan one for June or July '07, and another for December '07 or January '08. My job starts getting very busy around mid-January, so it'll need to be early January or I can't make it (unless I fly down and break Mouser again!).

Any more ideas for the summer '07 meet?
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

we could probly make the "Snowbird" if it was in early January. definately not if it was toward the end of december with the annual inventory count and all the other end of year crap associted with owning a business :-)
A legend in my own mind.
jeepster

Post by jeepster »

how about new mexico
centrally located,incredible weather,scenery,etc.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I've set up a new section for this meet, since it looks like there is a lot of interest. I don't know much about where to go in AZ, but McKFam seems to have some ideas, so I'm going to ask him to throw out some names of places we can have the meet. Any links to articles/pictures would be great too!

In reading through the posts (including my own), I think the first part of January would be best. After our families are gone from Christmas, before other things get in the way for myself and Tweeder. Does anybody want to do it over New Years? A lot more people would have time off, especially those with kids on holiday, but it also may get in the way of other New Year's traditions. New Years Eve 2008 is a Monday; should we try for the following weekend? Would anyone prefer a midweek vs. a weekend meet?
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Steve and all sorry for the delay but I will start to look for a place between now and January. I am still commuting to Colorado right now. So time is scarce.

I am not an expert on this but I know some that are. I am sure I can find a great spot for all. Something to kick back yet some terrain that will give our LJ's a bit of a challenge.

I know it is not Dec as I promised but as an update it was 82 yesterday. It was a great day for a ride in the Convert. We had a great ride.

McKFam

PS The Oranges are turning Orange.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

McKFam wrote:...as an update it was 82 yesterday. It was a great day for a ride in the Convert.
:shock: It was 22* here this morning (-6*C). Just last week it was near 70* still. I think we're skipping autumn this year, and just moving from summer straight to winter.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Resistance is Futile

Post by Smuz »

McKFam wrote:Just after Christmas this year I am going to post the weather report of AZ. By then most of you will be in knee deep of snow, ice cold weather or drizzle rain every day. Maybe I will send a picture of me in the driveway working in the sun on the LJ and picking some oranges. Oh and I will let you know the temperature too. I figure that is when you will all succumb and agree. Resistance is futile.

Stay tuned to this post just after Christmas.

McKFam
It's kinda after Christmas.

About a freaking MONTH after Christmas.

Where's my weather report?

Huh?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... arch_10day

Mid 60's and sunny...not bad! Still a bit chilly at night, but not quite as cold as here!
Sluggo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Sluggo »

We haven't seen 50 degress in over two weeks and none in sight for the next ten days :shock:

I am sooo ready for spring.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We got to 50* on Wednesday, and probably today too. We're actually getting some sun funally! :D :D :D

I too cannot wait until spring and summer!!!