July 30, 2010 - Bears in Cooke City

The 3rd Annual LJ Meet, in MT/WY, just East of Yellowstone Nat'l Park!

Moderator: stevec

Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

July 30, 2010 - Bears in Cooke City

Post by Myers »

This mornings national TV news had info about bear gone wild in Cooke City, MT and Soda Butte Campground which is just east of town. For the 2007 meet, Soda Butte is where those that camped stayed. Have pictures of fresh bear marks on trees in Soda Butte and also not fresh marks on tree behind our cabin in Cooke City. Will post if I can locate them.
Woman on this morning's news said she played dead while the mother bear was chewing on her and that saved her live. Don't think I would be able to do that as I can't even play dead when Winnie is chewing on me verbally. H'mmmm - maybe I should practice on that.....

Myers
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: July 30, 2010 - Bears in Cooke City

Post by stevec »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9H9DS600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, that is the campground we stayed at for the 2007 meet. The article says that the bears entered a crowded campground and simply attacked the sleeping campers in their tents. This is very unusual behavior for bears, even grizzlies. I wonder if food is scarce this year?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

3 bear related pics taken at 2007 Meet in Cooke City, MT. Was sad to hear this morning, July 30 2010, that bear attack in Soda Butte Campground had left one dead and two injured.
Attachments
P7020181sized for website.jpg
P7020180sized for web site.jpg
P7020177sized for web site.jpg
"LJsRME"
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I talked to mom yesterday, and she said she took some pictures of the bear scratches on the trees in the campground too.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

and that, ladies and gents.....snd Smuz :wink: is why ya carry a firearm (the bigger the better) in "bar" country.
A legend in my own mind.