Grasshopper Glacier

The 3rd Annual LJ Meet, in MT/WY, just East of Yellowstone Nat'l Park!

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Grasshopper Glacier

Post by stevec »

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/custer/recreati ... pper.shtml

I had come across this awhile back, and thought it was cool.

I've been checking the snowpack in the area, and so far it sounds like there is lower-than-average snow in the area this winter, so there's a decent chance that we can drive the LJ's all the way to the wilderness boundary, then hike up here to see this. I'm checking with the ranger stations, and will keep you posted.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Just got off the phone with the local forest ranger... If we can drive all the way to Goose Lake, it's about a 4-5 mile hike to the glacier. He also said the last bit of road is quite rough (large boulders), so a lot of people may elect to not drive all the way to the end, and there also may still be snow blocking our path. Other than that, he said it isn't a very difficult hike; the toughest part would be the high elevation.

Snowpack is currently about 60-75% of normal, so unless things change, we should be pretty much snow free by the end of June! :D Got some maps coming in the mail, and the rangers marked a couple of good camping spots that should handle our group, so hopefully we'll have more info coming soon!
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

stevec wrote:
Snowpack is currently about 60-75% of normal!
Our snowpack around here is 120-150% of normal. If we get a warm spring things could get interesting with water levels, you know all about flooding.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

Sounds like a fun hike, I'm game. I'll break trail with the toyzuki til the snow gets too deep. With the EFI we shouldn't have any trouble with choking out on the hills this year. Might have to find a pair of chains...
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

Sounds interesting... frozen extinct grasshoppers!
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Ruby wrote:
stevec wrote:
Our snowpack around here is 120-150% of normal. If we get a warm spring things could get interesting with water levels, you know all about flooding.
Oh hell, the last summer I was in the Kamloops area after those types of conditions the mosquitoes were big enough to show up on radar. You couldn't go outside unless it was windy.

John
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Suzy wrote:
Ruby wrote:
stevec wrote:
Oh hell, the last summer I was in the Kamloops area after those types of conditions the mosquitoes were big enough to show up on radar. You couldn't go outside unless it was windy.

John
Yes, it does get quite bad at times. A friend of mine has the contract to do mosquito control. They hand spread alot of the times, wading around in ponds. They also do a bunch of aerial spraying as well. He is ammune to mosquito bites, you would have to be, I would go crazy.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We can see who feels up to the hike when we get there. If there's a lot of snow, it'll be a slow hike. We can always split into two groups once we get up there, so one group can head back to camp and the other group can do the hike.

I'd like to do it, but I don't know how the kids will feel about an 8 mile hike. The thought of ancient frozen grasshoppers in a glacier might give them enough motivation to hike up there!
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:about an 8 mile hike.
momma ain't gonna be into that, for sure! :shock:
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

stevec wrote:Snowpack is currently about 60-75% of normal, so unless things change, we should be pretty much snow free by the end of June! :D Got some maps coming in the mail, and the rangers marked a couple of good camping spots that should handle our group, so hopefully we'll have more info coming soon!
Checked again this morning, and the snowpack in SW Montana is still near record lows (though they've only been tracking it since 1961). Bad news for the farmers and ranchers, but good news for us, as there (hopefully) won't be much snow left for the meet!