Summer 2007 Meet - Dates and Location

The 3rd Annual LJ Meet, in MT/WY, just East of Yellowstone Nat'l Park!

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Summer 2007 Meet - Dates and Location

Post by stevec »

We're a little later than usual in getting this started, and I want to get the dates nailed down for next year's meet soon, so people can start planning, request days off, etc. In the past, the last week/weekend of June has worked out well for us, so I'd like to plan it for then. Please post here if you are planning to go, and let me know if you have a preference for a midweek vs. weekend meet, and also if the last part of June does not work out for you. Let's get confirmed dates in the next week or so!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

The last part of June sounds good.

I'd like it to be around the weekend. Less days I have to take off. :roll:

So where is it going to be? Got a website?
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Probably around Red Lodge or Cooke City, Montana. I've pulled a few articles out of old 4WD magazines, and done a little research of the area, and there are a few "Jeep trails". Most, if not all, are pretty mild, like the Alpine Loop area, with a few "optional" obstacles. I'm trying to get a good map of the area that shows the trails/roads. Lots of alpine lakes, with good trout fishing. The "potluck" dinner may end up being a fish fry if fishing is good!

It's also just a few miles from the NE entrance to Yellowstone, so people can stretch their vacation and see Yellowstone if they want. I'll probably go to Yellowstone before the meet, so I'm good and close. (Don't want a repeat of the 2005 meet!)
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:"optional" obstacles.
yay! fun for crazy fools like me and Jimny! are these the kind of obsticles where it'd be a good idea for me to bring spare parts (since i'll be wheeling in the tow rig for the LJ)? :cool:
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

That depends on how well built your tow rig is. Since a majority of the rigs at these meets are stock, I try to look for places a stock rig can go, without much fear of breakage. Optional obstacles are fine, but not the first priority. If you look for a place you can break your rig, I'm sure you'll find one!
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

Montana eh, that would be fun. Don't think I'll be able to make it this year as I'll still be in school. Rick might be able to make it but I'll leave it up to him. If he does go he might have a few friends with sami's go along too. Weekend will be best for him though. Heck if it's a weekend and Rick goes I might even fly out, who knows...
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:That depends on how well built your tow rig is.
it's stock. i drive stupid. it's just got open diffs, making it hard to get stupid and broke. i'm usually good if i can stay outta the mud 8) but i'll crawl with locked Jeeps any day :twisted:
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Let's plan it for the weekend then, either June 23-24, or June 30-July 1. Anyone have a preference? If we do the latter, people who want to extend their trip will probably have the following Wednesday off (Fourth of July); people who have other plans for the Fourth can extend the week before. If we do it earlier, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone getting home by the fourth. If you have a preference, post up - we should get this finalized soon!
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Later.

John
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

My preference is for the later weekend as well. Remember, when I was in Yellowstone in June 2005, on the way to the CO meet, we got snowed on! It is unusual to get snow in Yellowstone that late, but it is possible. Of course 3 days after it snowed, it was close to 70*!

Anyone else have a preference?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

One more thing: I heard there's a motorcycle rally the weekend after the fourth, 40-50,000 motorcycles heading for Sturgis, so if you're into that, it's a good reason to hang around! I'm sure we'll see a lot of bikes when we're there, as a lot of riders will be touring Yellowstone, but I don't think it'll be too crowded.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:I heard there's a motorcycle rally...heading for Sturgis...
:))): LMAO :))):
A legend in my own mind.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

I say the 23rd-24th so that way most of us, if not all, can be back home for the 4th of July.

How's that sound to everyone?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Any other votes? So far Suzy and I are calling for June 30-July 1, and Jimny prefers June 23-24.

Jimny, I ran mapquest from Joplin to Cooke City, MT, and the shortest distance is about 1225 miles. If you want interstate freeway the whole way, it's about 1350 miles, either of which could be done in two days, even if you have a child with you. You could also make it three easy days, getting back during the day on the fourth if you wanted to stop at a lot of places, but I don't think there's a whole lot to see on the way home!
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Well I have been thinking about it, and as long as there is a place to stay over night that has a great fireworks display. I'm sure there are a lot of places between here and there for that.

So I change my preference to June 30-July 1 :cool:
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

It's about an 800 mile drive for us, and we could do it in a day, but it would be a long day, so we'll probably split it into two. Good thing for us is that all but about 100 miles is I-90.

Heck Jimny, you're certified, right? Why don't you just bring the fireworks?
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Well yes I am, I could do that. I found a great place to get the Class B (Display Fireworks) for a very good price. Mmmhhhh I might just do that. They are not the hugh ones like the city has but they are so much better then any that you can buy at the stands. It would take too much work to set off the large ones.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I got this email back from the Cooke City Chamber of Commerce this afternoon:
Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry. I've printed off your e-mail and I'm going to check with some people around the area who knows the trails better then I do. I want to make sure the vehicles your talking about will work up on the trails. I can say that the trails if not snow covered will be muddy. You most likely will not be able to cover all the trails. I'm sending along with our brochure to you the list of campgrounds and the dates of last years openings. Typically, the 4 wheelers do not go up on the trails till the first of July. All of this information may help you decide, I guess it all depends on the weather. A little later in the summer will ensure that the trails are clear.

Please let me know if you have any other questions after this e-mail or the mailing. We would love to have you in town!
Should we push it forward another week or two, into July? A lot will of course depend on the snowpack this winter, but if we want it later, we should decide now, so that people can make vacation plans. Having it the week after the fourth may be difficult for those who need a couple of days to get there, since most of us are up late that evening watching fireworks. (No one is gonna want to get up early and drive after partying the night before). I would therefore suggest shooting for the following weekend, the 14th-15th, or leaving it as June 30-July 1. I also know that Yellowstone NP gets busier after the end of June, so those planning to extend their vacation will have bigger crowds to deal with.

Whadda y'all think?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

When I get the packet in the mail, I should have more info on this.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

You afraid of getting mud up your exhaust again ? Hell I thought we were LJ's. Whatever I'm good for a holi anytime.

John
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

It doesn't matter to me. With global warming and all, it might not be muddy on the weekend we planned :wink: :twisted: .

Earlier is better for me BUT I can make it wither way.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Suzy wrote:You afraid of getting mud up your exhaust again ? Hell I thought we were LJ's. Whatever I'm good for a holi anytime.

John
Nah, it'll blow itself out sooner or later... And as long I have people like you to push me up hills until it does, I'll be fine! :wink:

Sounds like we should just leave it as is? She did say the jeeps start heading up on July 1st, which is the second day of the meet, and one day won't make that much of a difference... There's a webcam in Cooke City, so I'll keep an eye on it next spring, in case they have a larger than average snowpack.
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

The later date works best for me at the moment, but I still have a lot of details to work out yet in order to go.

John, are you planning on driving Suzy that far or are you going to trailer it this time?
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Rick Friesen wrote:

John, are you planning on driving Suzy that far or are you going to trailer it this time?
I don't know yet, Suzy would be okay with the drive but I might need a different co-pilot. Apparently it is a little cramped with all the camping gear. I'd also have to make sure I don't meet the same cop as I did last year in the road check just east of Princeton. He only gave me a week to get new tires and they are still on there and going strong. Trailering would definitely be more comfortable (a/c, cruise, air ride) but my trailer is 40' which is a killer on and off the island. Of course if Aaron can line up a bunch of 81's for me to bring back home it might be better :)

John
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Suzy wrote:

Of course if Aaron can line up a bunch of 81's for me to bring back home it might be better :)

John
You already know my stash, no new ones lately.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81