lj80 vs. sj410 differentials.

Links to articles to repair/upgrade your L series Suzuki

Moderator: Smuz

Superzuki81
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

lj80 vs. sj410 differentials.

Post by Superzuki81 »

Is there any difference between the jl80 and sj410 differentials? I want to weld the rear diff in my lj80 and I have a spare axles from a 410. I'm hoping they are the same so I can just weld up my spare diff and swap it in. Also can I upgrade my lj80 front alxe with the freewheeling hubs on the 410 axles, or are there issues? My 410 alxes are the older 4-wheel drum brake type.

Thanks for any help or info.
F10A: The big block stroker. Hee Hee!!!
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Re: lj80 vs. sj410 differentials.

Post by Frankenstein »

Diffratio is different. lj80 is 4.556, sj410 is 4.111. You can use the frontdrums of the 410 axle and put freewheelhubs on them. Just swap the birfs, knuckles and the brakes.
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zukimoo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by zukimoo »

like the post above said that the ratios are different and you'll have to swap both front and back.

For the brakes if you are going to swap just go right to 413 part and then you'll have the disc brakes and lock out hubs. You'll need the 410 birfs and all the parts from the 413. It all bolts right on.

the best way that I found to get the birfs off of the axles is to put a piece of pipe into a vise and drop the axle into the pipe. spray it with lots of penetrating oil and drop it in there. just pop the 410 birf back onto the LJ80 axle.
81 LJ80, 3500lbs winch, 1.0 HO, 1000cc's of pure power....brap...listen to her go

Mods 2 come
-Lockrite in the back, -spring over done right and complete,-cross over steering,-seats,-6000lbs +- winch on front,-3500lbs winch ,moved to back,-highlift jack
Superzuki81
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Superzuki81 »

I understand that the ring and pinion are a different ratio, but are the spider gears the same in both diffs? I was hoping they are and I can use the spare ones to weld up and still have the lower ratio of the lj gears (just assuming lower is better for less stress on engine, xfer case tranny, etc. when trail wheelin'. it won't see any high speed road use.) Also any constructive opinions on if i should consider welding the front diff too, or will welding the back a big enough improvement in 4wheelin capabilities?

I got the "big block" 1L engine in it now to btw, so there's a bit of extra power at my disposal.
F10A: The big block stroker. Hee Hee!!!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Steering will be a nightmare if you weld the front, so I'd just do the rear.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
chevypaul
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by chevypaul »

You can run a locker in the front. But it will only help if you keep your foot out of it when you turn the wheel.

Paul
LJ's Makes Me Smile!!!!
zukimoo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by zukimoo »

weld the back and leave the front open. I'd locker the back and leave the front open because the locker will give a little. LJ's are light but pavement loves to break axles.
81 LJ80, 3500lbs winch, 1.0 HO, 1000cc's of pure power....brap...listen to her go

Mods 2 come
-Lockrite in the back, -spring over done right and complete,-cross over steering,-seats,-6000lbs +- winch on front,-3500lbs winch ,moved to back,-highlift jack