Whipsaw, Canada 2017

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Whipsaw, Canada 2017

Post by Rick Friesen »

I'm thinking of planning a trip for early July next year. Maybe around July 7-9?
Is this something some people might be interested in?
I've been through the trail a few more times since the last Suzuki meet. It's been different and fun every time.
I have taken to camping in the town of Princeton on a Friday night and then running the entire trail on the Saturday and returning to the campsite in town for the night. Nice to have a warm shower and no bugs for the evening that way.

It has been too long since I've made it to an LJ meet, would be great to see people interested in doing this.
LJ80s, I can't collect them all, but I might still try...
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: Whipsaw, Canada 2017

Post by stevec »

Funny, we were just talking about this at our local club meeting recently. I'm definitely interested. Might even tow the trailer behind the LJ81... Mind if I invite some of my local club guys again?

I'd recommend keeping the date tentative until you know what this winter's snowpack looks like. Down here most trails are closed until the snow has melted off to minimize damage.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

IN :cool: . pidder also mentioned whipsaw. I will have my LJ81 or a different LJ81 ready to go. Been way too long for me as well.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

I don't mind at all if others come.
I will double check the dates I went through the last two times. I'm pretty sure it was early July both times though. If it is a heavy snow year, dates might indeed have to change.

The last time through, my brother took a stock Sidekick Sport and it did fine. There are a couple spots that are starting to get a bit tougher but a well placed rock seems to take care of that.

Glad to hear there is some interest!
woodchopper
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by woodchopper »

well wouldn't you know, we're going to have a Canadian meet and I will not be on the continent
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Rick Friesen wrote:I have taken to camping in the town of Princeton on a Friday night and then running the entire trail on the Saturday and returning to the campsite in town for the night. Nice to have a warm shower and no bugs for the evening that way.
What type of camping facilities? We bought a motorhome this spring to replace the truck and camper, so I might haul an LJ10 up for this one...
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

The campsite is beside a river just off the main highway there. They have hookups available but I have always just tented. The actual washrooms and showers are not very nice but after a day on the trail I didn't care. I think they would be able to accommodate a trail group pretty well though. They had lots of room to leave trucks and trailers while on the trail.
If you brought an LJ10, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the first one ever through that trail. Would be cool to see. :cool:
I can look into other camping accommodations in Princeton too.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We rarely get hookups, as we have enough water and battery power for a long weekend. It also has a propane-powered generator, though we haven't used it much (except to run the A/C one hot evening in Liberty last month!)
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

Very much interested in this LJ trip, will be great to meet members of the LJ community from north of the border. The wife and I made a 10,000 + journey across Canada and Alaska in 2015 but did not take the time to make contact with any one from the LJ community. The wife says She is up for the trip so we will load up the RV and a LJ80 or LJ81 (if you promise not to try to reclaim it) otherwise I bring a 20. Keep the information coming and we will be there :D
lil_hippie
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by lil_hippie »

Me and my wife and my dad and mom would be Intersted in coming as well . I will keep checking in for updates thanks
Too many kids not enough lj's
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

I will update anything as I find it out.

I was thinking about the whole problem of not knowing if the snow will be out in time or not and people needing a for sure date for holidays, etc.

If people are interested, I could plan a "back-up" trip around the Cranbrook area where I live. There are some awesome trails suitable to an LJ here and lots of camping/hotel options.

So does anyone need a specific date set to make it to this? Would having Cranbrook BC as a second option be a good idea?

So far, keeping the July 7-9 dates would be best for me.
lil_hippie
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by lil_hippie »

Cranbrook would almost be better for us but we open to anything and we are flexible with dates as well so really either way we are in.
Too many kids not enough lj's
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

neither the location or the date are that important to a retiree, just let me know in time to get there. As long as the trails are not pure ROCK CRAWLER trails I am up for it. I just want to meet others that have been bitten and infected by the LJ bug.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Let's keep it for those dates, and have a back up plan (trails) if needed. That way people who need to get time off can make plans.
Tweedy bird wrote:neither the location or the date are that important to a retiree, just let me know in time to get there. As long as the trails are not pure ROCK CRAWLER trails I am up for it. I just want to meet others that have been bitten and infected by the LJ bug.
Hope you are enjoying retirement. I currently think of myself as "semi-retired", but I still have an office and use it. That time of year I can take as much time off as I want, but the wife says she still enjoys the "rat race", so it may just be me, and possibly Amber. We're also looking at the Bowron Lakes canoe route, and may try to incorporate that into this trip.
Sportzuk

Post by Sportzuk »

Hi everyone. Thanks for the add to the forum.
I live in Keremeos BC only 45 minutes from Princeton.
There are a few of guys around here with Suzuki 4X4s.
LJ, Samurai and Sidekicks.
If you do decide to do the Whipsaw Trail some of us would like to tag along if you don't mind.
One or two of our group also have a Toyota and a Dodge.
We have all done the Whipsaw Trail and have enjoyed each and every trip.
As someone mentioned it is always changing so you never know what to expect.
Early July shouldn't pose any real problems as far as snow pack is concerned.

Would appreciate knowing if we are welcome to tag along. At least one of our group was on the 2010 trek.

Thank you, Dave T
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Welcome to the forums!
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Welcome Dave!

I'd prefer to keep this to Suzuki rigs, but I understand that not everyone is fortunate enough to own one and must bring a less desirable rig, haha. So all are welcome. I only ask that it remains family friendly and people refrain from drinking alcohol on the trail. There's plenty of time after for a beer around the fire. :beer:

I'm in the process of getting all the parts to rebuild an F10A for my LJ80V, the old F8A barely has a pulse. I should be ready for July, looking forward to it.
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

bump bump is this still a go?
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

As far as I'm concerned, YES! I'm getting my new LJ80Q ready to go.
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I'm still planning to go. Will drive up to Princeton Friday afternoon after work. What is the camping plan? Do we have a place picked out?
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

I have to put my engine back together yet, but I'm still planning on going. I usually camp at the riverside campground (or I think that's what it's called).
I'll try and get some more info out soon.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I see a River's Edge campground in Princeton. Would that be the one?
Rick Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Rick Friesen »

Yes, that's the one Steve. It's behind a Kal tire as I recall. Last time I went we asked about reservations but they didn't seem to care about that if you were tenting. If you have an RV of some sort then a reservation may be a good idea. Their washrooms and showers weren't that great, but after a day on the trail I didn't much care. Beautiful river to tent beside and enough shade trees.
Sportzuk

Post by Sportzuk »

Rick Friesen wrote:Welcome Dave!

I'd prefer to keep this to Suzuki rigs, but I understand that not everyone is fortunate enough to own one and must bring a less desirable rig, haha. So all are welcome. I only ask that it remains family friendly and people refrain from drinking alcohol on the trail. There's plenty of time after for a beer around the fire. :beer:

I'm in the process of getting all the parts to rebuild an F10A for my LJ80V, the old F8A barely has a pulse. I should be ready for July, looking forward to it.
Thanks for getting back to me. Was out off the continent for the past couple of months. Let us know what time you want to leave Princeton and we will be sure to be there. If you don't mind you can send me email. ok2dream53@hotmail.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I emailed and reserved a site at River's Edge this morning. Also checked the 14 day forecast and the weather looks about perfect!

I'll leave work a bit early to avoid the afternoon commute traffic; hope to be up there by around 7pm. See you all there!