Zuks of KC - Moab, 2013

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Zuks of KC - Moab, 2013

Post by Smuz »

SuzukiTom wrote:Really sorry to see that the Myers can't make it, Nancy and I were looking forward to seeing them again :-(

On a entirely different note, does everyone have their copy of "Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel Drive Trails" at the ready? Since we'll be bring the Lj, our trail leading options will be limited to what it can reasonably do. Since this is primarily a Zuks of KC run, I'm sure that they are going to want to do the signature Moab trails, such as Golden Spike, Moab Rim, or Pritchett Canyon. I've done those runs, and I know that they are well beyond the Lj's capabilities. Even a few of the trails I used to consider to be "easy" have deteriorated to the point that they can be a real challenge. (Steel Bender and Kane Creek come to mind.) So I think that in my case, it's mostly going to be plan a few possible trails, head out and hope we don't end up on the wrong end of a tow strap, or worse, seriously damaging our Lj.

Hey Smuz, how many are you expecting to show up on the Zuks of KC end?

Tom
I am also very sorry that Winnie and Larry won't be there. We were looking forward to seeing them again.

Tom, the ZoKC turn out is looking grim. I can only count on two, myself and Kevin. With Mel as a "mebbe". With just two of us, we ain't gonna be looking at any extreme trails. I think we'll be fine w/ whatever the LJ's can do.

I just returned from a trip with the fifth wheel to Yellowstone park. Blew 3 tires in the first 2 days. And them tires were less than a year old. And the purple pig's brakes are acting up. :pissed: So I got some work to do before Moab.

But I WILL be there, come hell or high water.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Been working on getting ready.

Got 4 new tires on the ground on the 5er, a good spare and 2 extra spares.

Getting the purple pig ready to go.

Gathering spare parts and getting Henry (my Samurai) ready.

Getting excited.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

So far only the following have commited:
SuzukiTom and Nancy
Tweedy and Edie
Myself
Kevin (from ZoKC)

Pretty slim turnout. Oh well. WE'LL have fun.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Looking through the postings here, both lj20Colorado and nickademusss were thinking about going too. Lj20Colorado is just up the road in Grand Junction, but I haven't seen a confirmation either way for him. Nickademusss is from the Salt Lake area, not far away either, but according to his profile, hasn't visited the LJ10 site since July, making him MIA.

Looks like in the long-range forcasts, they've got the temps in Moab hovering in the mid 80's. I'm hoping it'll be just a little cooler. Maybe a little rain early in the week. The rain is ok, it won't be as dusty.

Tom H.
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Holy crap! Trying to get ready for the trip and it's HOT!
Was 105 yesterday and supposed to be 101 today.
I'm too old for this.
Should be better the rest of the week,
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

I will try to make it I need the dates again but will be coming without my rig but still would like to see you guys. And also if anyone wants to come by my place in grand junction I still have a little grave yard for these guys but have been selling a lot. Just in case you guys need anything
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

lj20Colorado wrote:I will try to make it I need the dates again but will be coming without my rig but still would like to see you guys. And also if anyone wants to come by my place in grand junction I still have a little grave yard for these guys but have been selling a lot. Just in case you guys need anything
Well, that's no good. I was hoping there'd be at least one other 2-stroke LJ there so we wouldn't feel like we were holding the entire group up :?

Tom H.
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

SuzukiTom wrote:I was hoping there'd be at least one other 2-stroke LJ there so we wouldn't feel like we were holding the entire group up :?
You won't be holding nobody up. Hell, your LJ is faster than my Samurai anyway.
Tweedy might be bringing his 20, if he don't get the 80 finished.
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

What's th dates
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them. "john wayne 1976"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Next week.
Mon-fri
16-20 Sept.
lj20Colorado
eBay Sniper

Post by lj20Colorado »

Thanks
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Getting close and I'm about ready.

Kevin mentioned that he washed his Samurai. What a smart aleck. I figger that Moab is all sand and rocks and could benefit from some Kansas mud, so I'll let my Samurai shake itself off there and dump summa the crusted mud that's weighing it down. :D

'course the hideous brown streaks on the side would prolly benefit from a car wash. Mebbe I'll do that Sunday.

Or not.
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Hey Tom.
I know I strong armed you into being trail leader, but how about we plan on doing "fins and things" on Monday. That's a nice, easy trail to get us started and don't take all day.

Then we kin get together Mon nite and plan further.

Huh?
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

CB radios:

ZoKC usually runs on channel 16. If that's too busy, we usually drop to 6. If that's too busy than we punt. Take this info for what it's worth. :D
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Got my Samurai ready.
Got the 5er ready, except for water in the tank and last minit packing.
Got the little trailer ready.
Working on "Xena, the amazing purple tow pig" now.
Got spare parts packed.

Gonna roll out at oh-dark-thirty on Sat. morn.

This is gonna be a great time.
Frankenstein
Spammer Hammer
Spammer Hammer

Post by Frankenstein »

You guys have a good one!
I hate rust...

The older I get the better I was...

http://www.suzukilj80.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

I'm counting on you having enough fun for the both of us... :))): :))): :))):

Russ
This is retirement?
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

russmehl wrote:I'm counting on you having enough fun for the both of us... :))): :))): :))):

Russ
Hell, you won't be big enuf to contain the overflow of all the fun I'm gonna have.

Wish you wuz here, buddy.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Smuz wrote:Hey Tom, how about we plan on doing "fins and things" on Monday. That's a nice, easy trail to get us started and don't take all day.

Then we kin get together Mon nite and plan further.

Huh?
Hadn't really thought about Fins and Things, since we did that trail during the LJ meet. You have to pay an entrance fee to get to the trail head, but it's only about $5 per vehicle for the day.
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

We're all packed and the Lj's loaded on the trailer. We're leaving straight from work friday evening, and hope to be pulling into Moab saturday afternoon or early evening.

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
Myers
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Myers »

Mrs. Tweedy and her husband Phil stopped by yesterday afternoon and visited with us for a few hours. It was great to see them and we appreciate them taking the time to stop by Oklahoma on their way to MOAB. Phil even let me drive his latest creation. Glad there is not much brush at MOAB as his creation does not need to be subjected to scratchy things. You all have fun and be safe.

When we were there in 2008 the local stores had trail maps printed on Tyvec that were produced by the folks at National Geographic.
"LJsRME"
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

And we're off...
Ruby
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Ruby »

Have fun guys :beer:
Revolving door of LJ's, currently down to one LJ 81
Tweedy bird
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Tweedy bird »

Have arrived at slickrock campground now waiting for the rest to arrive. We got that rain you were looking for Tom, no blowsand to be found.
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Tweedy bird wrote:Have arrived at slickrock campground now waiting for the rest to arrive. We got that rain you were looking for Tom, no blowsand to be found.
Yeah, I see that there is rain in the forecast for Tuesday, hope it's not a wash (ha ha).
It's pouring right now in Monticello (50 miles south of Moab).
Thomas Howlett

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com