Expedition Utah Announces Relic Run 2011: Skyline Scramble

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

Stephen
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Expedition Utah Announces Relic Run 2011: Skyline Scramble

Post by Stephen »

As you sit in your office staring out the window dreaming of being somewhere, anywhere but here your phone rings. It's your boss reminding you that the TPS report is due by noon and he wants to see it at least an hour ahead of that. You mutter as he hangs up and you turn back to your computer screen. A dozen new e-mails, your Blackberry is flashings its obnoxious little red light and your fax machine starts beeping that its about to receive a message. You hang your head and give a little sigh. All this technology was supposed to make life easier, but you long for the simpler days. Back when the pace was slower and life was a bit more carefree.

You look back out the window at the distant mountains and desert beyond and think of all those camping trips as a kid. Dad making that old Nissan Patrol go places you couldn’t imagine, Mom ringing the dinner bell to call you and the other kids back from paying in the trees for delicious Dutch Oven meals. Back when you had a smile on your face all the time and every day was full of adventure and intrigue.

This is where the Relic Run comes in. An annual event where we invoke the spirit of how we used to enjoy getting away from it all. That exploring the backcountry is as much about the journey as it is the destination. Born from the idea that many of us love to travel overland to beautiful locations, but that we had become overly dependent on our modern convinces. That it would be fun to do it the way we used to.

Participants in the Relic Run embrace the the way things used to be by bringing their 1970's or older vehicles and camping gear while leaving the 21st century at the trail head. 2011 is the third annual outing for the Relic Run and we are proud to announce that this time around we will be heading to central Utah from July 8th through July 11th to explore and camp along the historic and scenic Skyline Drive. Each day will be filled with thrills as we bump along in our classic rigs and each night packed with events like gear show and tells, pot lucks, history and story telling.

If you want to experience a truly unique adventure and see some of the most beautiful vistas in the world, Relic Run's organizers at Expedition Utah would like to invite you to join us by heading over to RelicRun.com and registering.

Just to whet your whistle further, take a look at these pictures and head over and read about out previous outings!

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: Expedition Utah Announces Relic Run 2011: Skyline Scramb

Post by stevec »

Finally! :D

We should be passing through SLC that weekend, though we already have a pretty busy trip planned.

Is this an "out and back" trip, or one-way? I'll have the LJ's with me on the trailer, but if it is one-way only, I need to have a way of getting them back to the tow rig. Keep in mind, an LJ10 has a top speed of only 50 mph, so returning on I-70/I-15 is not a viable option.

Could we just do part of the trip? (i.e. leave with the group Friday morning, but head back that evening or Saturday morning?) I'm not sure if the wife will be up for the whole weekend.

Right now I'm thinking of bring the LJ81 and an LJ10 to this year's meet. LJ81 is registered as a 1980, but the VIN tag shows a build date of 6/79. Does this qualify, or does it need to be registered as '79 and earlier?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Stephen
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Stephen »

stevec wrote:Finally! :D

We should be passing through SLC that weekend, though we already have a pretty busy trip planned.

Is this an "out and back" trip, or one-way? I'll have the LJ's with me on the trailer, but if it is one-way only, I need to have a way of getting them back to the tow rig. Keep in mind, an LJ10 has a top speed of only 50 mph, so returning on I-70/I-15 is not a viable option.

Could we just do part of the trip? (i.e. leave with the group Friday morning, but head back that evening or Saturday morning?) I'm not sure if the wife will be up for the whole weekend.

Right now I'm thinking of bring the LJ81 and an LJ10 to this year's meet. LJ81 is registered as a 1980, but the VIN tag shows a build date of 6/79. Does this qualify, or does it need to be registered as '79 and earlier?
Steve,

Awesome. It will be sweet to have some vintage Suzuki iron on the trip this year!

It is a one way deal, so I'm not sure how that can figure into your planning. You can come and go as you please. We encourage the whole trip, but obviously we aren't going to hold you too it. And if the VIN says '79, thats good enough for us!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Cool, just gotta work on the wife now... I'm hoping we can get to SLC Thursday evening, instead of Saturday evening as originally planned. If I can talk her into going, we'll have both rigs there; if not, I'll just have one rig, and I'll have to figure out which daughter to take with me. Which rig will depend on the route, and where I'll meet back up with the wife. Big issue is her taking a couple of extra days off...

Assuming we take both rigs, do you know of a place we could leave the tow rig? (camper and trailer; 45' total length)
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Stephen
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Stephen »

I'd head over to Expedition Utah and ask that in the RR thread. I don't know this route very well, but someone over there might be able to give you a little better info.
Stephen
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by Stephen »

Still time guys! Head over to RelicRun.com to register!