Moab - April 2018

Post Suzuki meets in your area

Moderator: stevec

bryson
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Re: Moab - April 2018

Post by bryson »

McKFam wrote:Bryson I am originally from SLC. Moved out to Colorado in 1986. I ran into my first LJ in 1980 in Lindon. Long story.

So if you have an LJ why not come on down to Moab. Less than 4 hours drive.

So what constitutes as a "Spare" LJ? Curious minds want to know. I will be in SLC in May (if not sooner)

McKFam

Small world - My LJ came out of the Lindon area... 8) Hmmm...

"Spare" means the LJ10 I have does not run. It'd be easy enough to put together and get driving I'd imagine, but it's not pristine by any means. It would make an awesome little weekend wheeler, but I don't think it's clean enough to try and make daily driver-ish. Plus, I don't have the time this poor little truck needs, so I'm hoping to pass it along to someone who does.

Hopefully I'll be in Moab a few times this year, but it won't be in the LJ.
1972 LJ10
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Yes small world.

I would laugh if you got the one I tried to get in 1980. I think the last owner was Mitch? He was a truck driver. Probably retired if still alive. He lived on W 200 S in Lindon. Just west of State street before it dropped down. On the North side of the street not far from a school across the street and just up from a church across the street. He bought it in 1980 for $500 from my neighbor. (I was offered to buy it before him but I was a starving student and had $500 like I have $500K now) He took it and parked it in his back yard. He was going to put a Datsun motor in it to go hunting in. I went back in 2004 and it was still parked in the same spot. It was really in sad shape. Seats were rotten down to metal bars, rust, tires rotted down to rims and parts were missing and stolen. It was sad. I drove that dumb thing in 1980 and fell in love. I tried to buy it from him in 2004 but he still refused to sell it to me. I went back a few years ago and there were many many more homes there and I could not see it parked in his back yard any more but it was hard to see. I did not have time to knock on the door but my guess it went to the scrap yard or ??? I do not think it was even worth fixing. Maybe you have it. But if you have it I would be interested in it just for sentimental reasons. (What are the odds of that?)

Fun talking to you. Next time I am in SLC if I have time I will PR you and maybe come see your LJ. I have 2 kids and 3 grand kids in the SLC area. One is a teacher in West Valley. If you are in the Phoenix area let me know. We can go for a ride. Or come to Moab for fun.

McKFam
No Other Success can Compensate for Failure in the Home
bryson
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by bryson »

McKFam wrote:Yes small world.

I would laugh if you got the one I tried to get in 1980. I think the last owner was Mitch? He was a truck driver. Probably retired if still alive. He lived on W 200 S in Lindon. Just west of State street before it dropped down. On the North side of the street not far from a school across the street and just up from a church across the street. He bought it in 1980 for $500 from my neighbor. (I was offered to buy it before him but I was a starving student and had $500 like I have $500K now) He took it and parked it in his back yard. He was going to put a Datsun motor in it to go hunting in. I went back in 2004 and it was still parked in the same spot. It was really in sad shape. Seats were rotten down to metal bars, rust, tires rotted down to rims and parts were missing and stolen. It was sad. I drove that dumb thing in 1980 and fell in love. I tried to buy it from him in 2004 but he still refused to sell it to me. I went back a few years ago and there were many many more homes there and I could not see it parked in his back yard any more but it was hard to see. I did not have time to knock on the door but my guess it went to the scrap yard or ??? I do not think it was even worth fixing. Maybe you have it. But if you have it I would be interested in it just for sentimental reasons. (What are the odds of that?)

Fun talking to you. Next time I am in SLC if I have time I will PR you and maybe come see your LJ. I have 2 kids and 3 grand kids in the SLC area. One is a teacher in West Valley. If you are in the Phoenix area let me know. We can go for a ride. Or come to Moab for fun.

McKFam
Doesn't sound like the same one, as mine isn't quite as rough as you described. It is crazy though that there were 2 in the same area like that! I don't know the history on mine either, as the guy I bought it from didn't know much about it, and had only owned it for a couple years. Let me know next time you're in town and you can come check it out! I do have a few pics of mine posted in the serial number thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7799
1972 LJ10
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

bryson wrote:Sounds like a fun trip! Moab in April is great albeit very busy. Maybe someone needs to make a spur trip up to SLC to pick up a spare LJ10!?! :wink: :wink:
Why don't you bring it down to Moab? The LJ's always generate a lot of interest on the trails and around town. If there is a decent one for sale (even if it isn't on the trail) it might sell.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Man I am not positive that this is not the one. The one I drove was blue painted over the green. (not very well) Yours is too. Not sure how many blue ones were out there that were painted over the green in Lindon Utah. A small town.

Those seat are not original and it would make sense if the others were toast they would put something in place of the metal bars that were left.

Maybe the tires were just flat and would hold air if given the chance. I just remember them flat as pancakes and looked pathetic. They did have tubes in them.

The hood looks like I remember it and the parts were missing such as the grill, lights etc and seems like the speedometer and or the gauges were either missing or at least the glass portion of it was gone or broken.

Also if I remember right the windshield was either gone or pretty smashed up so it would make sense to take it out. Also the dented fender on the right side looks familiar as does the roll bar. It has only been 14 years since I briefly saw it and 38 years since I drove it. Like I remember other things that long ago. (or yesterday)

I woke up in the middle of the night today and realized I was dreaming of that old LJ and the name of the guy who had it up the street popped into my head. His name was Mic or Mick Johnson. It would make sense that the guy you bought it from only owned it a couple of years as when I went back a few years (3 or 4 maybe 5) ago it was gone.

I am hearing Twilight music going off in my head right now.

I have another daughter in Provo going to school. Next time I am there I am going to go knock on Mic's door and 1) see if his family still lives there and 2) see what happened to the old LJ. If you have a name of the guy you bought it from and better yet a phone number please PR me and I am going to check into this. Then compare notes with Mic (or family) and see if this is the same beast. This just seems too coincidental to not have something to it.

Sorry to bore you but this has been rather interesting to say the least. If it is not the same then you are absolutely right it is a small world. If it is then it is an even smaller world. And what a story it would make.

I outlined the story of this LJ when I joined in December of 2004 as I had just tried to buy it from Mic that year. When I could not get it I went to this forum and let all know my story and that I wanted one. It was Steve who got me on to the one I have now from Boise. (Thank you)

Steve I do not see my original posts that would have been Dec of 2004 or the first of 2005. Do you have access to my original posts where I outlined my story and asked you all to help me find an LJ? Previous forum? First one I see is June of 2005 when I just got my current LJ.

Again sorry for the book but let's see how this pans out. (Twilight music again)

McKFam
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

UPDATE:

OK now this is really strange.

After I posted the last post I decided to go search for Mick and found his phone number. During my lunch I called the number and Mick picked up. He is almost 80 years old and we had a long conversation. Bottom line I started to ask him questions and it sounded like Bryson's LJ is the one I drove 38 years ago in Lindon Utah. To makes sure I got his email address and sent him the pictures that Bryson put on the Forum. Here is his reply:

"That is it the rust on the hood gave it away. Hope you can buy it. ask for the books that I gave them. Mick"

This is truly amazing. Truly a small world. What a story.

He told me that he sold it to a 21 year old kid maybe 10 years ago. He did not know his name. He was close by in North Orem. After that I am guessing that it went to another and that maybe the one that Bryson bought it from. He told me there were books that he got for it. He told me that the tires held air and they pushed it down the street. He said the seats were gone (metal bars only) so someone did put those seats in. (He did not)

So I have no clue what I would do with this LJ or how I would get it down to Arizona but I would be interested in it if we can work out a deal.

This is a story that Hagerty might be interested in. Sorry to bore you all on this but this has been fun for me to relive. What are the odds?

McKFam

(By the way for you youngsters out there Twilight Zone music is from an old show on weird and strange things. Had very distinct music).
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Small world indeed. I remember wanting to buy your green LJ10 when it was here in Seattle, but the seller wanted $4,000 which was much more than I had at the time. He ended up selling itto a guy in Idaho, who in turn sold it to you, so you are the third owner of that rig I know.

And good call on Twilight Zone. I'm sure the younger readers were thinking of the vampire movies! :P
bryson
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by bryson »

McKFam wrote: "That is it the rust on the hood gave it away. Hope you can buy it. ask for the books that I gave them. Mick"
:-)
Attachments
lj10manual.jpg
1972 LJ10
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We are going to try and firm up plans for Moab this week. My local club meeting is tonight and we will be talking about it there. I did verify that hotels are still available for the week we are there. Campgrounds too, but everything is pretty expensive. Even "cheap" hotels (i.e. Super 8) are over $100/night, and developed campgrounds are well over $50/night for RV spots, and $30/night for tents. We will likely camp in Sand Flats Recreation Area - $15/night and there are some good trails we can take that are very close.

If you do want to stay in town, do book your rooms soon as they are filling up fast. Some hotels are sold out, and others have only a couple of rooms left.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

If all works out as I hope then I will just use a tent.

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to coming. Should have my final travel schedule finalized in the next week or 2. Was looking very good until the other day when I was told I may have to go to Asia in April. I just do not know when. Maybe my buddy can go instead. We will see.

McKFam
suzukij
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by suzukij »

Okay it looks like I will be coming to moab but wont get there until Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately without my lj. It seems like just when I have it running great, then I start on the brakes and it won't start. Then I get it going and it runs horribly again! To top it off I sent out for a new windshield at a local glass shop which in turn sends it to Salt Lake City, which is a good 300 miles north over a month ago and still no windshield! Which made me accept the fact that this isn't going to happen. I would really like to get together though and meet whoever is going down at some point. Also, Im looking for 2-3 stock 15" rims for my lj. I also have a single tacoma rim I could bring if anyone is interested or to trade. Pm me if you are interested. Thanks and look forward to meeting you.

Jason
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I'm heading out this afternoon, should get to Moab sometime tomorrow evening. I might be interested in the single Tacoma wheel; I have two sets of four but am using five of them (including my spare). I think I have a set of stock (16x4.5") wheels I can throw on the trailer in case you make it.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Well unfortunately I am leaving for Asia tomorrow for 2 weeks. I was hoping to leave for Moab. Bummer

I went to a SW USA Unique Little Car show here in Phoenix last weekend. This was for cars under 1500 cc's. Many were the old Subaru 360's, Honda 600's, Nash Americans, a 1951 VW, a some old Mini's, a Vespa 400 car, a Fiat 500 and a Fiat 600, some Moris's and a few others. Some I have never heard of and I thought I was in the know. Any way I took my LJ and I won best preserved vehicle and best in show for under 500 cc. Never won anything before. Never entered in anything before. My son and I drove the LJ 42 miles each way in Phoenix and got sunburned. Lots of looks, may thumbs up and countless stares. We hit a small hill going there and I got my all time speed record of 51 MPH. But mostly cruised at 43 to 47 MPH after about 1 block or 2.

Have fun in Moab. Again wish my trip could have been postponed a week.

McKFam

PS I bought the books shown above from Bryson. I will eventually try to get them scanned in and share with you all. The LJ that we talked about above I believe is for sale. I passed on it as it does need work but would be good for someone that has more time than me.
suzukij
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by suzukij »

Great! I will be there for sure, just without my LJ. I will bring the tacoma rim. Im really looking for a few stock 15 inch rims, but would still be interested in the 16 inch ones also. Thanks and safe travels :D
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

We're in Sand Flats, B15 and 16. There is no stock 15" wheel except the Tacoma wheels and the 15x4.5" wheels on the LJ20V. I have a set of 4 16" wheels with tires with me.
Attachments
20180422_114812.jpg
suzukij
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Post by suzukij »

Sounds good, the 15" rims are for a lj20v. The previous owner had 14" rims and tires, yes, 14" rims! And two of the stock 15" rims in the back included when I got it. Does anybody know what a 14x4.5 with a 5 on 5.5 lug pattern originally went on? Let me know if you do. Lol! Anyway, I do have a soft top that I could use some additional 16" rims for. If anyone needs some oddball 14" rims send me a pm. Im glad you made it safe Steve. Have fun and I wish I could be there for the entire week!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well I've been back a week and am ready to go back! Here's a few pictures from the trip...
Arches:
20180422_170124.jpg
20180423_151049.jpg
Porcupine Rim:
20180424_135335.jpg
The viewpoint on Hell's Revenge:
20180426_113901.jpg
SuzukiTom
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by SuzukiTom »

Looks like you had great weather while you were there. I can't wait for our next trip out that way!

Tom & Nancy
Thomas Howlett

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)

SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Yes we did. Mid 70's to low 80's every day. Saw some thunderheads the day we were in Arches, but the rain was evaporating before it hit the ground. We got a few drops that night but that was all.
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

OK I am officially sick that I had to go to Asia. Would have loved to have been there. Thanks for the pictures.

I just got back Friday night and my body is trying to figure out what time it really is.

I am trying to go to the Uinta mountains again this summer on my uncles ranch. That will be fun to get my LJ out of the garage and onto some real trails.

Keep me posted when you are heading this sort of direction again.

McKFam
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Why did you go to Asia? What Part?

Who was it that lived in Japan? I called him and talked to him on the phone back then. Russ?
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Jimny wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 pm Why did you go to Asia? What Part?

Who was it that lived in Japan? I called him and talked to him on the phone back then. Russ?
That was Fab (Scott).
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Oh yes that's right! I remember calling him one morning and he had to turn on the heater to get warm and after he got warm then he was able to talk a lot better LOL
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
McKFam
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by McKFam »

Hello all,

Asia is sort of my 2nd home. I make computer chips. Everything from fruit company items and chips to Airbag sensors, tire pressure sensors, all you car computer chips and new radar, lidar to items that run your refrigerators and toasters. You name it we assemble it for all the big companies. I rep a certain customer that had their fingers in most everything. Changes with customers but now I go to China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Korea mainly. I took my family 25 years ago and lived in Korea. That was a trip. So next time you use your phone computer or microwave you can thank or curse me. I have the prototypes of some of Atari games from 30+ years ago. Technology has changed a lot since I started at this in 1980.

So I took my jeep to my uncles ranch. Got up to the snow level and saw moose, deer and had 2 mountain lions growling at each other out our window of the cabin. Here is a picture of us coming back down the mountain after we got stopped at about 9500 foot level due to a LARGE tree blocking the "road". Lots of mud and rocks and my LJ did great. It is a trooper.

Off to Peru this week as I have never been to South America and 2 of my grown daughters are going with me. Nice to have a son that works for FedEx as I get airplane rates at his rate. No work this time and a vacation with out all of the little ones.

Take care and one of these days I am going to make it to a LJ get to gether.

McKFam
Attachments
IMG_2215 - Very Small.jpg
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Great story and a beautiful picture! Looks like a good area for an LJ get together... :wink:

Watch out for mountain lions - we had a fatal attack here a couple of weeks ago. First one in nearly 100 years, but the cougar attacked two guys on mountain bikes, they fought him off, and after they were riding away the cougar came back and attacked again.

Enjoy Peru. We were planning to go there this summer for our 25th wedding anniversary, but my wife had back surgery in January so we couldn't plan anything remotely strenuous until we knew it had healed. We'll get there soon...