Welcome to the Suzuki "L Series" Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moab - April 2017
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:34 am 
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Mood: Cool
Planning a trip out to Moab with some guys in my local club the last week of April. I'm bringing my LWB Samurai instead of an LJ, as my friends will want to do the harder trails, but thought I'd post it up here in case anyone else wants to join us. Still working on specifics but we will probably be dry camping in one of the BLM areas.

Last week of April = after EJS but (hopefully) not too terribly hot yet. 8)

Post subject: Re: Moab - April 2017
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 am 
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Moab is definitley on my to do list but not that soon. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 am 
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

Dang it. If the trip was mid May, I could join you in my Samurai. (I'm taking some engineering courses this spring, so I cannot travel anywhere until they have finished.)

I've been out to Moab three times myself. All during the Easter Jeep Safari, or as we used to call it, the Zukfari. Sadly, the organized Zukfari is no more.

Anyways, I think that Moab's trails definitely favor the 90"+ wheelbase rigs, so that is wise of you to take your LWB Samurai. If I ever went back, I would take a minimal lift/31" tire Samurai/Sidekick, or a LWB/Stretched Samurai. That, and I would never run Pritchett Canyon again. :ohno:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 am 
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

I've heard it is really busy during EJS, so I wanted to avoid that, but go as early as possible before it gets too hot there.

We did the LJ meet there in 2009 and the LJ10/20's did really well. Shorter wheelbase, but also narrow (so more lines to choose from) and the lack of overhangs front and rear made things easier.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:52 pm 
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

I guess it all depends on your personal view of what is or is not a difficult trail. It is all very subjective. There is a wide range of trail difficulty at Moab, but the more difficult obstacles and trails are definitely designed/selected for something longer than a 80" wheelbase; i.e. the Hell's Revenge Escalator, Pritchett Canyon, Moab Rim etc. Pritchett Canyon has a 3 foot drop gate to enter the trail.

https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=70

https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=32

The LJ would do well on the easy to moderate trails. They sit about as high as a stock Samurai, but the larger wheel wells will fit a 30" tire. They also weigh 700lb less, so that would be a big plus for the center of gravity. However, the narrower track would be a detriment in off camber situations. That is the scary part of the Moab trails. Going up a steep incline, while leaning to one side or suddenly finding yourself in unforeseen off camber situation.

I looked at the pics and notes from the 2009 meet. The group took on some easy to moderate trails, and I would expect that an LJ would be able to tackle those without much difficulty. Actually, I prefer that type of off-roading and exploring. Taking a stock or slightly modified stock vehicle and seeing what it can do.

Has your group decided on which trails you will be running?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 pm 
eBay Sniper

hey guys wanted to let you know there is a huge car show at the end of april and if you haven't got a room by now you are not going to plus room rates are very high during that time just fyi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:26 pm 
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

From the first post, it looks like they are planning to stay in a BLM camping area.

The Moab hotels also triple their rates during the Easter Jeep Safari week/weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 pm 
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

From experience, avoid Moab at all costs easter jeep safari. It keeps getting worse every single year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am 
LJ Gear Head
LJ Gear Head

The last time I went to the Easter jeep safari was in 2011. It wasn't that bad then, and it actually seemed like the overall attendance had significantly decreased. It was possibly 50% less than from when I first attended in 2000.

The other big change from 2000-2011 was that in 2011 nearly every vehicle in attendance was a four-door Wrangler or a fabricated buggy of some sort. In fact, there were not really any other makes/clubs than Jeep represented. I believe we had around 10 Suzukis there, and we were probably the second largest vehicle brand represented. However, it was a pretty poor showing, and the last of the organized Moab Zukfaris.

Of course there are ten times the number of off-road vehicles driving around town than there are on the trails. Many people drive/tow their vehicles to Moab and hang out as sort of a social gathering, and they have no intention of running any of the trails. So the town may seem packed, but the trails are wide open. I did not have any traffic problems running the trails, but the hardcore trails might have been more packed due to the buggies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:35 pm 
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Mood: Happy
Jonny Zuk wrote:
The other big change from 2000-2011 was that in 2011 nearly every vehicle in attendance was a four-door Wrangler or a fabricated buggy of some sort. In fact, there were not really any other makes/clubs than Jeep represented. I believe we had around 10 Suzukis there, and we were probably the second largest vehicle brand represented. However, it was a pretty poor showing, and the last of the organized Moab Zukfaris

I've noticed the same thing for the Easter Jeep Safari. I attended every EJS from 1994 thru 2000, and witnessed the transition from "just slightly modified" to "full-on" trail runners. I thought it was a lot more fun when the vehicles were only slightly modified. I kinda got out of 4 wheeling when I literally couldn't keep up with the Jones no matter how much of my disposable income I threw at my Samurai at the time. I've been back to Moab about four times since then, once in 2005 with my Samurai (may it rest in peace) for the Zukifari, and three times with the LJ.

Resistance is Futile (if < 1 ohm)
Things are both hunky and dory!
SuzukiTom101@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:14 am 
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

We had a lot of interest in this from my club, but few could meet the April deadline, so we are postponing this to next year (April 2018).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 am 
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Who knows .... i might even be able to make it , if finances are allowing .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:11 pm 
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

stevec wrote:
We had a lot of interest in this from my club, but few could meet the April deadline, so we are postponing this to next year (April 2018).

OK, that is more like it!!!!!