After the meet info! Pics etc

Information regarding the June 24-25, 2006 Meet in Washington State

Moderator: stevec

Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

After the meet info! Pics etc

Post by Jimny »

Just talked to Smuz, he said he had a great time and seemed like everybody else did too.

Post the pics! Let's see them!
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

Well the deimoss are back. We had a great time even though my father and I just sat around at camp driving the lj around. The clutch was slipping really bad, exhaust was clogged, and the master cylinder was sticking so we couldn't stop too good. It was very weird to see all those people in person though, eh?

I'll post some pics eh? Unfortunately Amber (steve's daughter) thought it was pretty funny to block all my pictures with her bear.

And also my dad fixed Steve's exhaust. We were going up a hill with rocks on it and one of them cracked the exhaust manifold so it was pretty stink'en loud, eh?
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

Ah nuts! I just typed all that and then realized I was logged in as my dad!

Sorry
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

deimos wrote:Ah nuts! I just typed all that and then realized I was logged in as my dad!

Sorry
Yeah, well a mild concussion WILL do that to ya... we were right about it fixing your spelling though, weren't we? :wink:
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

stevec wrote:
deimos wrote:Ah nuts! I just typed all that and then realized I was logged in as my dad!

Sorry
Yeah, well a mild concussion WILL do that to ya... we were right about it fixing your spelling though, weren't we? :wink:
there's a story there, right?
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Ok, I know you all want details, so here goes:

We had a total of ten rigs this year - one less than last years meet, but at least this year all could move under their own power, and all made it there before the last day of the meet. We had at least 6-7 rigs on every run. LJ20's were SERIOUSLY under-represented though - we had five LJ10's (including three that were bone stock), 2 LJ80's, one LJ20, my LJ81, and Ruby's (VERY NICE) SJ413K.

The "fixing of the exhaust" Kyler refers to is yesterday afternoon when he and his dad drove the LJ81, and the exhaust manifold cracked, or so we think. It definitely got louder!

Pics are coming soon, as soon I get them downloaded. We ran some real 4WD trails yesterday, not terribly hard, but you did need 4WD. :D We had my LJ10 and LJ81, Smuz and Alice brought Mouser and Wilson, Kris (Deimos) and Kyler brought his LJ10, Aaron (Ruby) and his wife Roseanne came in their SJ413K, Rick and Glen Friesen came with their ToyZuki LJ80, as well as Glen's fiance Natasha (Congratulations!!!), and their roommate, whose name escapes me right now. We also had John (Suzy) and Roxy in their LJ80V, IdahoPaul with wife Crystal and son Brandon, with their A14 powered LJ10, and Jeff, Becky, and Connor showed up late Saturday morning with the lone LJ20. Oh yes, Steve Illman and his wife Cindy came up Saturday night in their Tracker to drool over the LJ's as well. Steve doesn't have an LJ of his own, yet...

Interestingly enough, the stock rigs really embarrased the built rigs this weekend (and really impressed a group of Jeeps!). IdahoPaul's Datsun carb had a bad accelerator pump, Mouser was overheating and spent most of the weekend at camp, and Rick and Glen's LJ80 was having both problems. Idahopaul stayed at camp, Mouser gave it a try but the heat turned him around fairly quickly, and The Friesen LJ80 almost made it up Rear End Hill before needing a rest. Deimos' LJ10 had clutch issues, but was a lot of fun running around camp in, but the other two stock LJ10's (mine and Wilson), along with Suzy's LJ80, my LJ81, and Ruby's Sj413K made it over the 321 and 319 trails, and up Rear End Hill to Crystal Mountain Lookout without a glitch. The look on the Jeepers faces was priceless! I will say they were a good group of guys though, they were camped across from us and we chatted a bit in camp.

After heading back to camp, eating lunch, and meeting Jeff and the LJ20, we headed up to Hole In The Rock (not an official name yet, but everyone calls it that), then headed up the 334 trail. This trail was tough on Memorial Day weekend, but it was also very muddy then, and it should have been easier this weekend. It was a lot easier, but there were some very deep ruts in places from the dried mud, including one spot that appeared to have dry mud until I drove over it. Well, under that "dry mud" was about 3 inches of water and another 8 inches of wet goo. I was able to back up a bit, but that just packed mud into my tailpipe until I hit the hard pack, which prompty bent my tailpipe under. We bent the tail pipe back, but I had lost most of my power, and hills that used to be easy in 2nd or 3rd gear, I now labored to get up in 1st. On one hill the engine completely bogged out, and A few of the guys had to push me up the last bit. Luckily, just after that hill the tailpipe spit out a half-baked mud turd, and it ran normally again.

That was the worst vehicle carnage of the weekend, though we kept the Cle Elum Urgent Care clinic busy. Idahopaul arrived Friday evening with something in his eye, and it got worse overnight, so they headed down to get what turned out to be a metal sliver removed, with something that too closely resembled a dremel tool. Saturday evening, Deimos Jr was climbing some rocks and fell, hitting his head, and so off he and dad went, to get checked out. The diagnosis was a possible concussion, so dad had had to do the "wake him every hour" routine that night. Other than that, it was just bug bites and sunburn.

My biggest oops was leaving the dash plaques at home (it's a good thing Deimos picked up the shirts from the printer on his way up!), so I'll be mailing them out to y'all tomorrow. I saw lots of people taking lots of pictures, and we got a few ourselves, so let's show 'em off!!!!
Last edited by stevec on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

tweeder wrote:there's a story there, right?
Took half an hour to type said story... (I did get interrupted by the phone)

Smuz kept ripping Kyler about his spelling on the forums, so after he got back from the clinic we joked that a good knock on the head was all he needed!

I think all of us wished that we could've been driving an LJ10 around a campground when we were 11 years old though! (Not to mention getting an LJ20V for Christmas!)
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Well cr@p, Linda left me the camera, but not the cable, so I can't upload the pics. :pissed:

I'll have to see if I can get another cable tomorrow.
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

You forgot about the thumb issue. Though I'm sure my father would rather it not mentioned......

And about my concussion, I saw a very large rock on the side of a big hill. Tired of watching Smuz get drunk, I decided to check it out. I started getting kinda dizzy when I reached the rock so I started coming back down. Thats all I remember.
'92 sidekick: 16v 5 speed 4 door. '72 lj20: frame and tub..
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I thought you were just trying to get away from Amber and Hallie...

I did forget about your dad's thumbs... those tin can lids can really bite! At least he didn't need to go to the clinic for stitches!
Last edited by stevec on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tweeder
Resident Smart Arse
Resident Smart Arse

Post by tweeder »

tired of watching Smuz get drunk? i bet that's all kinds of fun! :))):
A legend in my own mind.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

tweeder wrote:tired of watching Smuz get drunk? i bet that's all kinds of fun! :))):
He did drink more homebrew than anyone else, myself included, but the alcohol content was pretty low, so I don't think he ever got that drunk. He and Alice were always the first ones up in the morning too: I got up around 6:30, and they were about the only ones up. They were just finishing eating breakfast too, so they had been up awhile before me!
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

stevec wrote:I thought you were just trying to get away from Amber and Hallie...
I was running from them when I saw the trail. :wink:
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

Since Jr and I didn't get out on the trails this weekend, we didn't get many pictures, but here are a couple from camp.

3 Stock 10s

Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Well we took a lot of photos and quite a few were blurry, they haven't gotten around to paving these trails yet. These pictures do not do the area justice, the views are spectacular, the geology is quite cool and the grades are as always steeper than they appear.

John
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Ok, what went wrong ? I resized a bunch of them and browsed them as files and added as attachments but they didn't show up. I resized to 800x600 like Demios's pics but mine are 201kb, still too big. Does this just mean mine are at a higher resolution and need to be reduced to say 600x450 ?

John
Last edited by Suzy on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Friesen
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by Glen Friesen »

Well guys I had a great time at my first ever LJ meet. I did get a bit of video action including Jon sliding down a hill sideways in his 80. I'll have to clean it up a bit and then see if I can get a link to it.

I guess I have to admit to being a little out done by the stock rigs seeing as we had to stop short of the top of rear end hill. We had a bit of a overheating/flooding/vapour lock issue near the top so we just walked up the last bit. Ran fine again after sitting for half an hour so who knows, guess it's time to go FI.
1979 LJ-80, toyota drivetrain, 33" tires, aussie locker, 5.29's etc...
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

What are you talking about, LJ's don't slide down hills sideways ?

John
deimos
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by deimos »

I've found that posting the images to a hosting site like www.photobucket.com and then linking them back to the post works best. Look through past help files or PM me for specific instructions. BTW, it was great meeting everybody! I think we should head north of the border for next years meet.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

OK I figured it out now, just had to keep making them smaller, not as big as Kris's though. Ok thanks Kris.Image
Attachments
1st stop_resize_resize.JPG
1st stop_resize_resize.JPG (89.51 KiB) Viewed 38543 times
Last edited by Suzy on Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Thanks Demios I'll check that out and might PM you

John
deimos_jr
RIP
RIP

Post by deimos_jr »

Ya know what I just realized? I bet Smuz is just getting into Idaho! (his wife dragged him way the heck on the other side of WA to look at a bonsai garden)

Deimos, not demios. HA! who is the bad speller now! I think Steve had a couple of mistakes his spelling as well.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

OK here are some more. Lined up at the lookout, L to R Suzy my 80, Amber SteveC's oldest in front of his 10 then his 81, Smuz's Mouser and Ruby's sj413K.[/imImage
The view behind the line-up.
Looking down over the cliff, probably 300' or so.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

deimos_jr wrote:
Deimos, not demios. HA! who is the bad speller now! I think Steve had a couple of mistakes his spelling as well.
Oh you burned me, I guess you owe me a 12 pack now. Your spelling seems better but what about your grammar ?

John

PS Of course SpellCheck doesn't spot either spelling.
Last edited by Suzy on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

The line up in camp

Deimos driving SteveC's 81 up the ruts.

LindaC cooking breakfast in the 81 kitchen.

Jr. giving camp tours.