LJ10/20 Lockers!!!

Any other parts that are direct replacements.

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

LJ10/20 Lockers!!!

Post by stevec »

I picked up an LJ80/SJ410 locker for jock recently, and decided to see how well it would fit into an LJ10/20 differential. It is surprisingly close to perfect! The LJ10/20 side gears fit perfectly into the grooves in the plates, with almost full contact! (I think the LJ10/20 side gears are slightly smaller, but 80-90% of the side gear is in contact with the plate)

The only issues are that the pinion shafts are longer on the SJ410 (the long shaft is about 8mm longer), so you'd have to use the stock LJ shafts, and the plates don't quite fit in where the spider gears were. The diameter is about 3mm to wide to fit in, and the plates cannot be shaved down as the pins/springs are too close to the edge. The opening in the diff is tapered, so once in there, I think the plates would have enough room, thus I "THINK" one could bore out the opening to get the plates in. The only other issue would be the thrust washers and spacers, you may need to play around with them if the height is not right, but I think if anything you'd just need thicker washers.

In short, I think this is doable, though it hasn't been tested. Since I've got this diff siting in my garage that is missing a spider gear, I think I'll try to modify it to hold a locker, and see if it works. I figure the worst that can happen is that it'll blow up and I'll have to put the stock pig back in, and possibly replace an axle shaft or two (which I also have spares)

Stay tuned...
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
russmehl
Whats in Your Garage?
Whats in Your Garage?

Post by russmehl »

I have a diff. with a blown pinion, all else "looks OK", if you want more parts to play with....
Russ
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Thanks Russ, but I think the one I have will be perfect. Everything is good except for the fact that it's missing a spider gear, and since I'll be pulling them anyway, it's essentially a good diff. I'll let you know how it goes, but it may be awhile. I've got to get the case bored out before I can try it, and then I'll want to play with it pretty hard to make sure it doesn't break, plus I've got to buy my own locker so jock can have his...

The other nice thing is that the pigs are the same front and rear, so you could put lockers in both axles if you wanted, though steering would be a pain with a front locker, since you can't unlock the hubs! I know if I do it, it'll just be in the rear.
jock
Datto on the ground
Datto on the ground

Post by jock »

Did you check the axles and make sure they fit the locker. The SJ 410 and LJ80 had slightly larger rear axles ( in the spline area).
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

This locker requires the use of the stock side gears, so axle size wasn't an issue.
Jimny
It's an LJ thing!
It's an LJ thing!

Post by Jimny »

Who is the maker of that locker?
I'd rather be driving my LJ!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

It's a Lockright, #1520 I think. Fits the LJ80 and SJ410.