lj 20 wont run on both cyl.

Any other parts that are direct replacements.

Moderator: stevec

carl wade
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

lj 20 wont run on both cyl.

Post by carl wade »

I just bought a 72 lj 20 that only runs on one cylinder ,so I start checking to see why . both pistons are at top dead center at the same time . this means a crankshaft prob. befor I remove and disasemble the motor I want to know where I can get parts and tech ast. is this commonto this motor?
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Re: lj 20 wont run on both cyl.

Post by stevec »

Welcome to the forums!

There are quite a few parts still available for the LJ20 engine, though pistons just got stupid expensive as of this past January. Most of the crankshaft bearings and seals are now discontinued, but they're roller bearings, so a good bearing shop should be able to help you with those. Odd that both pistons are at TDC at the same time. Did you check to see if the connecting rods are not broken? (maybe one piston is always at TDC).

Let us know how it goes. There are a lot of very knowledgeable LJ owners here, so post up questions, and we'll help you as best we can!
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
carl wade
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by carl wade »

yes I did check that the rods are both intact > I can change the time and make it run on one cylinder or the other, but not both . It has to be that the crankshaft is broken or has turned if it is in more than one pc . I took off the reed valve plate and the number two rod bearings are super sloppy , as they are a caged bearing that means that the crank has to come apart to replace the bearings . where can I shop for the parts that are still around . by the way I live on lake cumberland in south central Ky. this suzuki is in very nice shape with all orignal seats and everthing . even has a title
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I've got a lot of those parts in stock. The crankshaft is in pieces - it needs to be pressed apart to replace the bearings and seals. Could be that nothing is broken, it just needs to be taken apart and put back together (with some new bearings...)
carl wade
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by carl wade »

do you have a way that I can contact you directly? Carl I am ready to start the removal of the power plant and would like to ask you a few questions
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Sent you a PM...