Nuts & Bolts

Any other parts that are direct replacements.

Moderator: stevec

stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Nuts & Bolts

Post by stevec »

As I prepare to tear down the V, (new nickname for the LJ20V) and putting a fold down windshield on the Samurai, I've been looking up the various nuts and bolts and stocking up.

What I've found so far is that any of the nuts, washers, and lock washers that end in -58 are size M5, ending in -68 are M6, and ending in -88 are M8's. Haven't pulled the bolts yet, as there are lots more different numbers and types, but if I notice any more patterns with the part numbers (i.e. a certain digit implies bolt grade) I'll post 'em.
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

Cool! That's NICE to know.

I've just been rooting thru a bucket until I find sumpin that works.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

On the topic, do any of you's know what nuts are used to hold the brake drum onto the axle end? As a few of mine stripped when i was taking them off
jock
Datto on the ground
Datto on the ground

Post by jock »

Now that info is very handy to know. Thanks Stevec :D
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

crispy wrote:On the topic, do any of you's know what nuts are used to hold the brake drum onto the axle end? As a few of mine stripped when i was taking them off
I've not got that far yet, but it's probably an M10 or M12, most likely with a 1.25 pitch. If you can find them, get a grade 10.9 or higher. Over here, most places have bolts with different grades, but very few have metric nuts in anything other than 8.8.
Idahopaul
Lead Foot
Lead Foot

Post by Idahopaul »

I just used a nut off of a volkswagon (beatle) transaxle. its heavier looking than the original for the suzuki. I dont know what year the donor bug was. here, theres lots of those!
Strength is for service, not status.
Each one of us needs to look after
the good of the people arounds us,
"How can I help?"
jock
Datto on the ground
Datto on the ground

Post by jock »

Idahopaul wrote:I just used a nut off of a volkswagon (beatle) transaxle. its heavier looking than the original for the suzuki. I dont know what year the donor bug was. here, theres lots of those!
Most of the VW's are the same. 36mm outer size. Only the Kombi (bus)has a 41mm nut. So one off any of a beatle should fit. :D

P.S. there are lots of Beatle's everywhere. They are the worlds most produced car. Over one millon where made worldwide.
crispy
Speeling Police
Speeling Police

Post by crispy »

Thanks for that, should be able to have some idea what im trying to find now
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

jock wrote:Most of the VW's are the same. 36mm outer size. Only the Kombi (bus)has a 41mm nut. So one off any of a beatle should fit. :D
Ooops, I was thinking of the rear axle. That is still good info though!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

After a little more research, I've determined that the size of screws and bolts can be determined by the last five digits. Of those digits, the first two are the size, the second two indicate the length, and the last one I don't know. It's usually an 8, sometimes a 7. This may just be a check digit, or it may indicate grade (i.e. 8.8 vs. 10.9, which are roughly equivalent to grades 5 and 8 for those who don't speak metric). It may also indicate a different thread pitch; more research is needed on that.

For example, part #02112-06108 is a panhead screw. The first two digits of the suffix, 06, indicate that this is a size M6 screw. The second two, 10, indicate that the length is 10mm. Similarly, #02112-06168 is also an M6 screw, and is 16mm long.

I haven't checked every screw and bolt, but did check quite a few, and looked at more for reasonableness. If anyone finds an error in this logic, or has more info, please speak up!
wertycanadian
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Re: Nuts & Bolts

Post by wertycanadian »

Can anyone tell me what size of bolts that the rear spare tire carrier is mounted on the back dor with. I have tried all that I can think of without any success. Help would be awesome.
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

Should be an M10 bolt. Don't know the thread pitch, but it's probably a pretty fine thread. Suzy has an LJ80V, he might be able to tell you more.
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

Yep check the reply in your other post.
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.
zukimoo
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by zukimoo »

you can put a grade 8.8 bolt on the backing plate holder with no problem. I'd put the grade 10.9 but the other one will hold just fine. As long as the bolts stay tight they won't break. Bolts are at risk when they get loose and stuff starts to move around the trouble starts.
81 LJ80, 3500lbs winch, 1.0 HO, 1000cc's of pure power....brap...listen to her go

Mods 2 come
-Lockrite in the back, -spring over done right and complete,-cross over steering,-seats,-6000lbs +- winch on front,-3500lbs winch ,moved to back,-highlift jack