Front axle parts interchangeability

Any other parts that are direct replacements.

Moderator: stevec

Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Front axle parts interchangeability

Post by Smuz »

It's been my experience, from repairing an LJ80 with LJ10 parts, that all of the front axle parts, from the birfields out, are interchangeable (if not identicle) between LJ10's and LJ80's. I'm assuming that LJ20's and LJ50's will be too. This gives a bit more options to repairing earlier LJ's where LJ80 parts are avaliable.

They are, of course, different from the birfield inwards due to differing widths and, in the case of the LJ80, different sized 3rd member.

Just info.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.
crawdaddy

Post by crawdaddy »

About parts interchangeability:

Will old Jimny (aka Samurai, right?) manual locking hubs fit the Vitara/Sidekick? I have a 1997 Vitara and I found a front axle assembly for the old Jimny and I'm not sure if the Jimny's hubs will fit my Vitara's with no problems...

thanks in advance!
stevec
The Parts Dude!
The Parts Dude!

Post by stevec »

I think they do, but I actually haven't looked for sure. Smuz, you've got both rigs, don't you?
The only difference between an ordeal and an adventure is your attitude
Smuz
Resident Curmudgeon
Resident Curmudgeon

Post by Smuz »

stevec wrote:I think they do, but I actually haven't looked for sure. Smuz, you've got both rigs, don't you?
To the best of my knowledge, they do. Shane's '89 Sidekick are the same as my '87 Sammi and I've got another set from an '87 Sammi to replace the auto hubs on my '96 X90. Since those all interchange, I can't believe a '97 would be different.
The above is my opinion. It is subject (like all my opinions) to debate, disagreement, rude gestures, and loud raspberries.