LJ80 jimny gearbox

Any other parts that are direct replacements.

Moderator: stevec

willojr1
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

LJ80 jimny gearbox

Post by willojr1 »

hey everyone, just got myself a LJ80 an as expected for 350 there are problems, main one is my gear box, don't have 3rd but still goes alrite besides the gear box is really loud, does anyone know where i could find a gearbox for it? if not could i get a gear box from another car? and another thing does anyone know of a brocken speedo cable to make a noise? well hope to hear from someone soon thanks
ResidentPsycho
LJ Enthusiast
LJ Enthusiast

Post by ResidentPsycho »

im guessing a syncro gear has packed it and wont let it engage 3rd. worn bearings in the gearbox will more than likely cause it to be loud. sierra tranny's dont fit, completely different motor.
im not sure if the sj410 gearbox will fit (it has a F10A engine, the lj80 has a F8A), one of the other guys will probably chime in with a suggestion :wink:

welcome to the site!!! some pics of your rig would be nice aswel :D
If you can't fix it with a hammer. You got an electrical problem!
willojr1
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

Post by willojr1 »

thanks for the reply, it will get into 3rd no problem, but makes a even louder noise :S so yea think me best chance is to replace the whole thing? or would i be able to pull apart the gear box and repair it? new to this so unsure how to lol so help with that would be good thanks lol[/img]
Suzy
Tim Horton's MVP
Tim Horton's MVP

Post by Suzy »

One of mine just did this. It was alwys a little rattly and then one day third started making more noise. Swapped the trans out and found one of the third gears had chucked a couple of teeth. SJ 410 box should bolt up but you will need to swap the shifter mounts. Gear ratios are slightly different.

John
Suzy, a 79 LJ 80 tin top.
Misfit, a 79 LJ 81.